What cab impulses are people using nowdays?

• Thread starter HanSulu
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

robski92

Reaction score
I found an orange cab ir a while ago and I always find myself going back to it. I don't know the name of it though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shnizzle

johnny
Reaction score
Is there a way to load these impulses into a POD Hd Pro?

you can´t load impulses into the Pod HD Pro. you need to bypass the cab and
use an impulse loader. to mute the direct sound without the cab you need
to turn down the hardware monitoring in the Pod Asio settings.

akinari

Reaction score
Redwirez mesa v30s in conjunction with some Sunn impulses I made myself.

MrEzzyE

Reaction score
I´m a bit lost with these impulses... can you use them for example in Logic (with preamp out tone) or do they only work on modelling gear as Axe FX, Kemper etc.?

katsumura78

Reaction score
The ML Soundlab stuff on fractal audio's online store. Cab pack 19 just hit and it's got two really sick cabs in it!

TheUnknownOne

Reaction score
Is someone getting good results with fat lazy cabs here ? I'm still using a bit of Messiah 1 and 3, and S-preshigh :lol:

Lach Rae Dawn

Reaction score
I´m a bit lost with these impulses... can you use them for example in Logic (with preamp out tone) or do they only work on modelling gear as Axe FX, Kemper etc.?

You need an IR loader. This could be in the form of the Line 6 Helix, Two notes equipment, Axe FX etc... However, you can also go the software route as well.

For instance I use FL Studio for my DAW, if you use at least the producer edition of it, you get use with Edison, and Fruity Convolver. Your Logic (assuming its X-Pro) comes with LAC convolver, which could work, but its limited to 32bits.

Fruity Convolver is an IR loader, with reverb in mind, however it can handle guitar cabs very easily. Some software such as ReValver 4 from Peavey can load IRs too! Conversely IR loaders made with guitar cabinets in mind typically don't do that great for reverbs, as reverb is typically a much longer IR response than a guitar cab (in the time domain context) and most of the ones designed for cabinets/speakers will cut the tails off the reverbs when trying to use them.

There are also a decent amount of Free software IR loaders. Here is the first one I found while doing a search.
NadIR - A Free Impulse Response Loader Released By Ignite Amps - Bedroom Producers Blog

schwiz

Lefty
Reaction score
Well... I have officially discovered how awesome impulse responses are. Before yesterday, I hadn't been brave enough to steer away from using just my POD HD Pro for guitar tones, but yesterday I did some testing.

I used a dry signal from my POD, and loaded up the TSE OD pedal, TSE x50 with NADIR, and 2 separate IR's that I found on the net. This sound was pretty good, but I couldn't really get the tone I was looking for.

Next, I loaded up Menace Toneforge, and used the OD pedal on that vst, and disabled the cab sim. I then loaded up NADIR and 2 separate IR's. I played around with the tone for a half hour and was able to get better results in comparison to the TSE model, but still not quite what I was looking for.

Lastly, I decided to use my POD with noise gate, comp, od, and the Treadplate (Mesa) head, and disabled the cab sim. I then again loaded NADIR, and 2 IR's... and WOW. Holy buckets. The tone that I was able to get was incredibly massive. I've never been able to get this kind of tone straight from my POD HD Pro.

Long story short.... I'm now sold on IR's. They're pretty sweet.

Dans

Dans_Envisage
Reaction score
Is someone getting good results with fat lazy cabs here ? I'm still using a bit of Messiah 1 and 3, and S-preshigh :lol:

Fat Lazy Cabs is great, I love their Orange and Mesa OS IRs.
My solo album was done with their Mesa OS IR on all rhythm tones, feel free to check my signature.

Metropolis

Reaction score
3sigma and Rosen Digital need tons of eq. Ownhammer is really natural and organic compared to them, and need less fiddling around with eq's, but call me crazy if I say that even OH doesn't have enough options.

So I bought couple of Redwirez cabs a while ago, and they suit best to my setup and needs. They are really clear sounding, have almost every possible mic position and room mics.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
I'll second that OwnHammer and RedWirez > 3 Sigma and Rosen Digital
I'd say 3 Sigma is bottom tier really. I've yet to be happy with anything I've tried from them via TSE x50 yet I loved pretty much all the others like Fat and Lazy Cabs, OwnHammer, etc.

fob

Reaction score
Well... I have officially discovered how awesome impulse responses are. Before yesterday, I hadn't been brave enough to steer away from using just my POD HD Pro for guitar tones, but yesterday I did some testing.

I used a dry signal from my POD, and loaded up the TSE OD pedal, TSE x50 with NADIR, and 2 separate IR's that I found on the net. This sound was pretty good, but I couldn't really get the tone I was looking for.

Next, I loaded up Menace Toneforge, and used the OD pedal on that vst, and disabled the cab sim. I then loaded up NADIR and 2 separate IR's. I played around with the tone for a half hour and was able to get better results in comparison to the TSE model, but still not quite what I was looking for.

Lastly, I decided to use my POD with noise gate, comp, od, and the Treadplate (Mesa) head, and disabled the cab sim. I then again loaded NADIR, and 2 IR's... and WOW. Holy buckets. The tone that I was able to get was incredibly massive. I've never been able to get this kind of tone straight from my POD HD Pro.

Long story short.... I'm now sold on IR's. They're pretty sweet.
I want to try that last option you did. Did you just open edit, make the tone with the head (not the pre is what I'm clarifying) and all the pedals, do "no cab", tracked it and added the IR loader and 2 cab sims? Did you turn off the hardware monitoring under the line 6 audio tab in settings? Could you also provide a link if possible for the cabs you found? I'd love to se what they sound like. And you ran both cabs at the same time?

Metropolis

Reaction score
JST Conquer All feels and sounds really good too, if you're going for modern hi-gain tones. Mid range is very punchy and in your face. They also don't offer that many options, but the available impulses are very much usable. So, I don't even know anymore wich impulses to prefer because this is kind of becoming an addiction :lol:

https://joeysturgistones.com/collections/everything/products/conquer-all

Drezik27

Reaction score
The ML Soundlab stuff on fractal audio's online store. Cab pack 19 just hit and it's got two really sick cabs in it!

This.

I love 19 (Engl/Orange) and 24(Diezel). I've tinkered with the Zilla and Mesa cab packs but I always end up going back to the Engl and Deizel ones.

Shask

Reaction score
Just recently got Cab Lab and the Bulb cab pack.

Sound really good. Maybe it's a me problem, but I can't seem to get anything other than a mid-rangey tone out of any of the impulses. Goes across amp sims too (Revalver, TSE x50, Lepou amps). Which isnt awful, but sometimes I like to scoop dem mids.

I know this is an older thread, but still a relevant one!

I am the same way. It seems like out of amp sims, or modelers, I tend to always get this flat, mid-heavy, thuddy kind of tone. If you scoop out the mids the tone just gets weird and hollow. It is very hard to just get a nice high gain dynamic chug, like on Master of Puppets or something.

I have this issue on free amp sims, all the way up the Axe-FX II. I will do various EQ scoops, and can get closer, but nothing ever sounds as natural as an amp in the room for a nice chunky, chuggy rhythm metal tone. I tend to get more of a mid thud, with a low end boom, and bottoming out sound.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
I know this is an older thread, but still a relevant one!

I am the same way. It seems like out of amp sims, or modelers, I tend to always get this flat, mid-heavy, thuddy kind of tone. If you scoop out the mids the tone just gets weird and hollow. It is very hard to just get a nice high gain dynamic chug, like on Master of Puppets or something.

I have this issue on free amp sims, all the way up the Axe-FX II. I will do various EQ scoops, and can get closer, but nothing ever sounds as natural as an amp in the room for a nice chunky, chuggy rhythm metal tone. I tend to get more of a mid thud, with a low end boom, and bottoming out sound.

I had that issue using my Kemper through Monitors. So I used the BlendIR app to mix my Redwirez Mesa and Orange IR packs with the included room mics to give back some of that "in the room" feel I get with an actual Cab.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Blending with a room mic does wonders.

This.

I love 19 (Engl/Orange) and 24(Diezel). I've tinkered with the Zilla and Mesa cab packs but I always end up going back to the Engl and Deizel ones.

I want some of those cab packs so bad but they only come in the .syx format. Anyone know why they do this? I made a thread on Fractal's forum asking and I haven't gotten any answers yet.
Seems like it only hurts sales for the cab packs and doesn't boost any for the Axe-Fx at the same time. I know they have Cab-Lab but just require that to be purchased first to unlock the wav files or something. Any thoughts?

Shask

Reaction score
I had that issue using my Kemper through Monitors. So I used the BlendIR app to mix my Redwirez Mesa and Orange IR packs with the included room mics to give back some of that "in the room" feel I get with an actual Cab.

Interesting. I decided to try this today.... sorta. I used my Axe II and loaded a Room IR from the Ohmhammer HH set, and other random IRs from the set as a stereo IR, and just balanced them in the Axe. I was able to get some pretty good sounds, but still had that FRFR sound. I am starting to think I just dont like that sound, lol. I even thought about trying something like a Friedman ASM cab, but not sure I want to throw more money at it.

I typically use it through a Matrix amp with a guitar cab, but been feeling like I am missing something without using the cab block.

Drezik27

Reaction score
Blending with a room mic does wonders.

I want some of those cab packs so bad but they only come in the .syx format. Anyone know why they do this? I made a thread on Fractal's forum asking and I haven't gotten any answers yet.
Seems like it only hurts sales for the cab packs and doesn't boost any for the Axe-Fx at the same time. I know they have Cab-Lab but just require that to be purchased first to unlock the wav files or something. Any thoughts?

They do not have wav files at all, Cab lab just acts as the IR loader for the .syx files. The other pain in the ass part of it is that you have to have an iLok as well.

If you don't own an Axe Fx and don't want to shell out for an iLok as well as Cab Lab there really isn't a way around it. That I know of anyway.

I will say though, before I purchased an Axe FX I ran TSE x50 into Cab lab with great results. I already had an ilok though, so I thought it was worth it.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
For the last couple months I've been enamored with the cabs in Mercuriall's U530...specifically the Uberkab with GT 75's and the Greenbacks in a Marshall cab. Both awesome, I don't know what they did but they work with pretty much everything I've tried them with from Mooer pedals to an Axe/Kemper. Dig it.