What do you bedroom players use to play through?

• Thread starter electriceye
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Elric

Reaction score
Guitar -> Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 -> Guitar Rig 5/EZMix -> Headphones (DT-770 Pro)

The Scarlett does the job but I wonder if a better quality interface would make my tone better.
I would guess a better plugin than GR5 and EZMix2 would be money better spent than an interface upgrade. Almost anything crushes those two (IMHO of course).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
I would guess a better plugin than GR5 and EZMix2 would be money better spent than an interface upgrade. Almost anything crushes those two (IMHO of course).

I have been liking GR5. Of course, I already owned it for years when I realized I could be using it, so that is part of it (kinda free in a way...). I was able to get results similar to the TSE X50 that everyone loves around here. They key is to use Reflektor to run your own IRs.

I would like to check out TH3 though.

primitiverebelworld

Reaction score
Playing in the kitchen brings back some good memories from my old home! Now I use interface>PodFarm>impulses>headphones at home which is a rental place for a time being. At work I am able to crank things and my setup currently is Hotone Heart Attack>boost>1x12 and one Alto TX15 speaker for tracks-music.

Soya

Poor person
Reaction score
Guitar into iPad with positive grid bias, into a simple 50 watt mono solid state amp, into a custom 2x12 vertical cab. Sold my amps to pay off some bills so this gets me by for now.

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score

I guess so. :shrug:

Can you recommend anything that is inside a reasonable budget? I definitely don't have money for an Axe-Fx.

Elric

Reaction score
I guess so. :shrug:

Can you recommend anything that is inside a reasonable budget? I definitely don't have money for an Axe-Fx.
The quoted message was asking about the UAD Apollo vs the Focusrite Scarlett. The UAD is a $500+ interface and the Scarlett itself is a damn fine unit already, so it an incremental bump for lots of $$$. You can literally get ANY ampsim plugin for UAD-Apollo money.

If you're into hard rock/metal and on a budget I'd suggest:

Emissary (Free)
Bias FX Desktop (Basic version is currently onsale for $59 w/ 12 amps).
Amplitube (Can download free Customshop and buy amps one by one check out the Mesa models)
Thermionik (Bundles of 5 amp models for ~$35 per set).
Revalver ($99 for a ridiculous amount of stuff, really good IR support).
TSE X50 ($69 meticulously modeled PV 5150)

are all great value for the dough and all have free demos so you don't have to take someone else's opinion. Tons of good stuff out there.

Stijnson

Reaction score
Running a Kemper > scarlett 2i4 >studio monitors (m-audio bx5's)
Or now when my PC is down and im waiting on my new, and properly specced one, its just kemper > studio monitors.
Ill jam along with my ipad connected to some hi-fi speakers if Im in that mood.

Great tones at any volume basically.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Two Notes Torpedo Reload, best thing I ever bought for home playing. I can play any of my amps without disturbing the neighbors.

musicaldeath

Herald of Djod
Reaction score
That Torperdo Live looks pretty awesome. Can someone explain to me the signal chain for playing at home? As good as the 5153S sounds at lower volume, I would rather get the tone I get when I play at band levels. Would the chain look something like this:

Amp-->Torpedo Live-->Some sort of DAW--> monitors

Or can you send it back to your cab or something? I am kind of slow when it comes to things like this.

Wizard of Ozz

Arch-Mage of Metal
Reaction score
That Torperdo Live looks pretty awesome. Can someone explain to me the signal chain for playing at home? As good as the 5153S sounds at lower volume, I would rather get the tone I get when I play at band levels. Would the chain look something like this:

Amp-->Torpedo Live-->Some sort of DAW--> monitors

Or can you send it back to your cab or something? I am kind of slow when it comes to things like this.

The Torpedo Live (TL) has xlr outs on the back which go to your interface, then out to your pc/mac daw... the TL also has a headphone jack on the front... or you could go TL xlr direct to monitors.

sawtoothscream

Reaction score
6505+112, between the amp volume and the looper volume it can get recently quiet and doesn't sound too bad.

Usually just use Jamup pro at night though, sounds ok

duffbeer33

Reaction score
My setup:

Guitar -- > Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 ---> BX_rockrack

...Decent quality Sennheiser monitoring headphones

add EZ drummer to the mix and you are all set for demos

Swap the Focusrite 2i4 for the solo and Bx_rockrack for LePou if you are on budget

mietschie

Reaction score
This is what I do:

Guitar -> effects board -> real tube preamp (engl e530) -> interface -> impulse response -> monitors or headphones

in my opinion this is best of both worlds, real feel and response of a tube amp but still 100% quiet if I want it and it sounds killer with the option of just hitting the record button if a riff idea pops up.

the only thing I could imagine that would even be better is a nice 100W head of your choice into the two notes torpedo, but those are still a litte too expensive for me... one day :D

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
As of tomorrow, it will be:

Bass: Zoom MS-60B. Going to upgrade to the newly announced B3n when it comes out in March.

Guitar: Zoom G5n > Zoom MS-70CDR > Mackie Mixer. My amp is a multi-purpose combo PA amp, so I need some sort of cab emulation otherwise it sounds terrible with distorted tones.

I also have some other goodies on my pedalboard such as a BeatBuddy and a TC-X4 looper. I play Chapman Stick as well as guitar, so I need a separate looper to capture both effected signals at once for laying down loops when I feel so inclined.

Wolfhorsky

Regular idiot
Reaction score
I tried software solutions and they all feel unnatural for me. I like noodling on Yamaha THR10x and Boss Katana 100 (on 0,5w setting).