What game are you playing?

• Thread starter mark520
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
STILL in Chapter 6 in Lost Paradise, and still haven't budged an inch on the plot. :lol: Just mucking about in a massive time sink.

Going through the plethora of Cabaret Club missions gets much more challenging and actually forces you to be more alert with the floor staff. Still as fun as ever. Though I'm staggering it in between all the other muckabouts since some the hostesses I've yet to find are scattered around the wasteland.

And if that wasn't enough, the game throughs a bunch of other random crap for you to do. There's a doctor/clinic minigame that's the substitute for the karaoke and dancing rhythm games in Yakuza. It's as ridiculously over the top as it sounds. A racing game has just been introduced where you can do up your buggy so it's Yakuza 5's Taxi street racing all over again. You get to excavate old arcade games from the wasteland so Eden has it's own Club Sega. And that baseball substitute... Some do get fetch-questy, like that market managing for Not-Haruka, but I'm glad I flushed out the Bartending part early so I have a lot of cash and makes the shopping list much easier to get. The subplot for it is pretty adorable and hilarious though.

Just like Yakuza, 95% of the subgames end with you beating the crap out of somebody. But unlike Yakuza, you get to straight up murder everyone via head and body explosions, as expected with this property. Sure you can't used improvised weaponry like bicycles, but you get to kill someone with the deathcry of his own friend. :lol:

Driving around the wasteland does get a little mundane at parts since there's not much going on with the occasional gang of 'lowlifes' lining up for you to massacre. But with checkpoints, I actually don't spend too much time on the field. It is nice to do some donuts and drift around the open world since Sega are good with driving game mechanics, again evident here. And the music selection keeps things from getting too dull. Namely this:

At this rate, by the time I'm done, Judge Eyes will be released and it's back to Kamurocho doing the same thing again. :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score
I'm very upset about that game and Judge Eyes not having my buds Kiryu and Majima, but maybe I'll still end up loving them. I've had Lost Paradise for weeks now and just haven't gotten to it yet after starting Far Cry 5 and finishing that/New Dawn and then starting Spider-Man. I'm still dragging my way through Spider-Man desperately wanting it to end cause after spending this much time I have to finish it, dammit!

mongey

Reaction score
Played a couple hours apex to check it out. It’s got sone cool stuff in it. But I still Prefer overwatch.

Apex is Too slow to start for me.

Demiurge

Reaction score
Been playing the Guacamelee games. Both pretty tricky but in a fun & satisfying way. Fucking funny as hell, too.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Been playing the Guacamelee games. Both pretty tricky but in a fun & satisfying way. Fucking funny as hell, too.
I love the Guacamelee games. They're so much fun, even when the platforming bullshit makes me want to rip my hair out, the luchador combat and their use of memes makes up for it

Demiurge

Reaction score
^I made it a point to get the "good" ending in each game which means not rage-quitting all the tricky platform stuff and keeping at it until I got it right. It was kind of rewarding. I usually button-mash my way through most games and do alright, but this one really makes you earn some shit.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm very upset about that game and Judge Eyes not having my buds Kiryu and Majima, but maybe I'll still end up loving them.

I feel like Judgement/Judge Eyes/Ace Yakuza, Attorney at Law will eventually cross over with the Yakuza world, even if its cameos. Plus, aren't they still working on a new Yakuza game too?

I'm about 30 hours into KH2 and while I do enjoy it (cheesy voice acting aside), I'm ready to move on to get closer to KH3. I was told the only really important games to play bewteen KH2 and 3 are Birth by Sleep and Dream Drop Distance, and I can just YouTube the rest. I also noticed I don't seem to see 2.8 Final Way Too Long Name Gaiden Prologue Epilogue in stores. Or even the Story So Far pack.

thedonal

Reaction score
I'm heavily back on Empyrion at the moment. I know it's still in alpha, but it's got a long way to go. The building aspect of it is great in its way but I find the interaction between other factions (single player) really need a lot of work. I love the game in principle and look forward to seeing it grow but I think there's a fair bit of grassroots that are needed before the features are improved.

And by the Gods some of these newer survival games- like Subnatica (LOVE that game) it seriously spin up the fans on my PC. I do wonder how much calculation they have to do to generate/render the game- could these games be made more efficient? (I'd say visually, Subnautica will require a lot more to render). I wonder if half the 'glitches' or annoyances in Empyrion are driven by how laggy the game is (i5 quad 6600k here- 3.5Ghz and GTX1060SC- not a poor system by any definition- but performance really isn't great on the game). Maybe an alpha thing again, but I wonder.

wankerness

Reaction score
Finished the DLC on AC Odyssey, it's fine, the voice-acting/animations get even worse in part 3 and I didn't care about the dumb story, but that's not really what I was playing the game for to begin with! Part 3 added an adrenaline-building ability, which seems like it should have always been there. Then again, the game has WAY too many abilities considering the harsh limit of 4. I never really experimented with most of them since the core ones were just too good (teleport-assassinate, heal, in-combat assassinate, and shield break or kick depending on situation).

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Looks like Judge Eyes/Judgement's western release may be up in the air.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/13/sega-pulls-judgement-voice-actos-cocaine-arrest/

I'm guessing they'll do exactly the same with Tanimura in Yakuza 4 and straight up recast Pierre Taki's character and image model, just like Hiroki Narimiya before him. But given Japan's draconian view on celebrity scandals and with Sega halting sales and deleting all promotional tweets, this could prove a long delay.

wankerness

Reaction score
Looks like Judge Eyes/Judgement's western release may be up in the air.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/13/sega-pulls-judgement-voice-actos-cocaine-arrest/

I'm guessing they'll do exactly the same with Tanimura in Yakuza 4 and straight up recast Pierre Taki's character and image model, just like Hiroki Narimiya before him. But given Japan's draconian view on celebrity scandals and with Sega halting sales and deleting all promotional tweets, this could prove a long delay.

I dunno if those Japanese laws also apply to EXPORTS, but it's not like anyone in any other country would be aware of it or care. Dumb.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I'm a sucker for Kirby games for some reason, so I ended up grabbing Extra Epic Yarn. :lol: It's.... not the best Kirby. But it's still Kirby. :)

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Boy, the Japanese are strick about their drugs.

Meanwhile, I'm assuming Kevin Spacey hasn't been patched out of Advanced Warfare.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Tevin Stacey. Father of three, wakes up early to go for a run with his dog, makes sure to pick up milk on the way home from work at space-Business.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I dunno if those Japanese laws also apply to EXPORTS, but it's not like anyone in any other country would be aware of it or care. Dumb.

Nobody outside Asia cares about this sort of thing and those laws don't apply. Sega went on damage control to save face since scandals in Asia can ruin a person's career. Even if the allegations get cleared (in Tanimura's actor's case) the scandal was severe enough to force the guy into retirement. If the actor only lent his voice, then the international dub will go on and call it a day (local version just redubs the role). But since the character is modelled after the actor then it complicates things.

Judgement's Western release for late June was already set in stone. The real question is if it's delayed and Sega will recast the character (they will), how long will it be. No idea on the process in the case of mocap and dubbing though. It could be the similar case with the Chinese casting of Lao Gui of Yakuza 0, but that was more planned out. I'm guessing at least 5-6 months.

Last edited:

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
Beat the new DMC5 on the first two difficulties, now just working my way through the third.

I didn't realise:

That you could actually beat Urizen in the prologue, I thought his shield generating thing was invincible until I smashed it on the second difficulty. Then I rinsed him before he could regenerate it. The little, "well, err, you beat the game, err, congrats I guess?" ending was pretty hilarious.

wankerness

Reaction score
Nobody outside Asia cares about this sort of thing and those laws don't apply. Sega went on damage control to save face since scandals in Asia can ruin a person's career. Even if the allegations get cleared (in Tanimura's actor's case) the scandal was severe enough to force the guy into retirement. If the actor only lent his voice, then the international dub will go on and call it a day (local version just redubs the role). But since the character is modelled after the actor then it complicates things.

Judgement's Western release for late June was already set in stone. The real question is if it's delayed and Sega will recast the character (they will), how long will it be. No idea on the process in the case of mocap and dubbing though. It could be the similar case with the Chinese casting of Lao Gui of Yakuza 0, but that was more planned out. I'm guessing at least 5-6 months.

Oh, I was wondering whether Japanese law prohibits the exporting of the image of someone convicted of drugs even if domestically it's gone. The article was misleading and made it sound like it was a LAW that you couldn't sell things domestically featuring the image of someone arrested for cocaine or whatever.

Regardless, it sounds completely idiotic to me that they'd delay an international release so people in OTHER countries wouldn't be able to see some guy that only offends Japanese people. Release the current version internationally and re-cast your domestic version! Only you guys care!

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
https://kotaku.com/why-japan-is-so-strict-about-drugs-1833286755
This Kotaku article they put up in the wake of what happened with Judgement explains things pretty well, I feel. I was definitely looking forward to some more adventures in Kamurocho, too.

Anyway. I think I'm in a position where I can have Kingdom Hearts 2 finished tonight. I may immediately move on to Birth By Sleep, or debate if I want to get Division 2.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Yup, finished KH2. Overall much better than everything that preceeded it so far. Jumped right into Birth By Sleep, watching the intro now.

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
Beat the new DMC5 on the first two difficulties, now just working my way through the third.

I didn't realise:

That you could actually beat Urizen in the prologue, I thought his shield generating thing was invincible until I smashed it on the second difficulty. Then I rinsed him before he could regenerate it. The little, "well, err, you beat the game, err, congrats I guess?" ending was pretty hilarious.

Devil May Cry 5 has been a fucking trip. The depth of the combat is so unbelievably satisfying the goofy as hell story points don't bother me at all, and the RE engine is pretty damn impressive. Glad Capcom undid the DmC reboot and kept going with the original series. Just started DMD mode and I'm hyped for Bloody Palace, hopefully turbo mode gets implemented when:

Capcom releases the Vergil DLC.