What game are you playing?

• Thread starter mark520
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score
Gotcha, I'll have to watch a video on where to specifically place myself then, since it seems like that whole spot is out in the open, so there being a corner doesn't ring any bells offhand.

I only made it up to that big wolf that drops in at the end of ALL the other ones right after you drop down, and by that point I had so few Estus left, I couldn't do shit against him and his new mob. I'm probably 10-15 levels higher now, but even still, I'm going to wait until later like when I did the Old Hunters DLC. I also revised my weapon last night, I had been using a raw-infused long sword, but then I decided to upgrade my broad-sword to +6 as well and do a heavy-infusion and shock/awe - it did more damage! (I never looked up the difference until this point, but it seems like early game I had the right idea since raw is base damage buff, vs base damage reduction for build scaling in later game with the heavy) So now I'm running a mace for even more damage with A-scaling instead of at best B/C, so that's nice too.

I know Cursed Rotted Greatwood is optional, and I found him, plus the Old Demon King, so there's a couple of them; and then it looks like late game has the actual Gundyr fight people complain about, and I know some of the names from a coworker who's platinum'd it. I really, REALLY don't look forward to Nameless King, everything I've heard is that he sucks to fight; I was curious while seeing who's optional, and was shocked to see Midir is actually a DLC boss for the amount he gets mentioned with the series. Honestly, would've guessed he was in place of Ancient Wyvern or the other two mentioned, but apparently not.
Nameless king is easy (if tedious) if you’re a full strength build - if you get the big greatshield with lightning resist from a previous boss soul you can just block all of his attacks, hit him once or twice in gaps, regen stamina, and heal chip damage every few cycles. The people who complain about him are trying to fight him via rolling or using any other shield in the game (which would either drain all your stamina or have a huge amount of chip damage).

The ledge to hide to kill the worm is like, right next to him. As you enter the zone just beeline the worm and its slightly to the left of him. But he’s like, almost on top of you. It’s just a little hole where you’re safe from both the ballistas and most of the worm’s attacks and you can just sit there till he dies.

Werecow

Reaction score
Quantic Dream's games can be enjoyable, in the way you can enjoy a pretty bad movie.

That said, Detroit: Become Human is bad-ish, but not that bad. Some of the stuff in Heavy Rain is atrocious.
I quite often enjoy a bad movie haha. I only game on PC, and i've always stayed so far within that circle that i didn't actually know who they were until all of the games mentioned above were suddenly released on PC post 2019-ish. I'm a Blade Runner fan, so the story kinda caught me when i saw it on sale. The others don't really sound tempting to me, given what i've seen people saying about them now as well.

wankerness

Reaction score
Everything I've seen and played of those games has hilarious, as someone that's big into movies. FTR I watched my roommate play through all of Heavy Rain when it came out, I played through about half of Beyond Two Souls, and I've seen a few videos of Detroit: Become Human. The guy who "masterminds" these games has all these aspirations of making movies instead of games, but the plots are SO, SO terrible and the dialogue is just wretched. He'd be making stuff on the level of The Room if he was ever allowed to make movies. It's so weird that instead he makes these games that surely cost far more to make than the average low-budget movie. Like, these games are so badly written and cringey that they actually set back the cause of the zealots pushing to get people to take game writing seriously as an art form, cause they get so much press when they come out about "they're just like a movie!!!" and then are just idiotic collections of cliches. I mean, the guy makes Hideo Kojima seem like Proust.

It's just weird that he's so hell-bent on writing and plot over everything, and his writing and plots are so bad compared to some games that DIDN'T use that as their sole focus (ex Baldur's Gate 3, Naughty Dog stuff, Disco Elysium) and instead have some actual fun gameplay instead of "swirl both sticks to wash the dishes!!"

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Cleared out the Irithyll Dungeon, really didn't care for that place, with those asshats nuking your health and having no way to prevent it. Luckily I made it down thru the levels pretty quick, then past the sleeping giant, and managed to push to Profaned Capital; made it easier to go back thru once I had the keys and knew where the interconnections were.

Also got both titanite chunks while I was there, so my mace is now +6 with me at level 75 (32VIT/32END/34STR). Think I'm gonna go back to Anor Londo before the Capital, but I'm sure they're on equal levels.

wankerness

Reaction score
Cleared out the Irithyll Dungeon, really didn't care for that place, with those asshats nuking your health and having no way to prevent it. Luckily I made it down thru the levels pretty quick, then past the sleeping giant, and managed to push to Profaned Capital; made it easier to go back thru once I had the keys and knew where the interconnections were.

Also got both titanite chunks while I was there, so my mace is now +6 with me at level 75 (32VIT/32END/34STR). Think I'm gonna go back to Anor Londo before the Capital, but I'm sure they're on equal levels.
Irithyll is really frustrating and there's a LOT of important stuff in there. I usually completely clear out the entire place and then do all the quests that require running through the capital to get the jail keys and heading all the way back through the dungeon, etc while all those mobs are still dead just so I don't have to deal with them again. Freeing Karla (the dark spell vendor) and getting the really good coal for the blacksmith are the two things in that big jail room that has like 20 jailers in it that require getting the capital key first. I remember there also being something important in that little deadend where there are mimics and basilisks, too. Nasty place! One that I've never even attempted doing without an upgraded bow and the full 198 arrows on my person - that room with the huge horde of jailers seems like it would be impossible if you tried it melee.

I've been playing a bunch more Lords of the Fallen. I DID have the graphics on "quality" mode - for some crazy reason that was the default. On "performance" it runs more like Elden Ring does, so framerate's really not a problem for me anymore. I got a really overpowered weapon from late in the game by buying some expensive key and running past a lot of dangerous mobs on a suicide mission, so the last couple bosses I've chunked down in about 10 swings. I think by the time the game catches back up to my weapon, I should have enough defensive stats that it still doesn't feel that bad compared to the early game.

Right now, my big two issues with the game are the monstrous distances between "bonfires" (the level I'm working on right now is seriously like 45 minutes between them, which is damn unacceptable given you get FIVE HEALS between bonfire rests and fight an average of 75 monsters, and that's assuming you don't go in the dark world where they infinitely spawn and swarm you) and the awful lockon. I know people complain about Dark Souls' lockons, and they definitely aren't perfect, but they're a lot better than this game. It's like if the frustrating stuff in those games happened MOST of the time. Like your character will lock onto some nodule out in the environment 20 yards away when there are two enemies right next to you whacking you in the face, and by the time you actually get unlocked from that object and get the camera on them you're already dead. Etc. It's just really bad compared to even Fromsoft games (especially DS2, which I think is the game where it works correctly the highest percentage of the time).

Last edited:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Killed Aldrich yesterday, or maybe this morning, honestly can't remember now but either way he's dead; took a handful of tries, first few times I didn't have enough resistance for his curse BS, and he'd hit me pretty good with that move when he teleports. Then later when I could get him to phase 2, those arrows are as BS as Radahn's since they ARE EXACTLY THE SAME, and you just have to sprint around until they run out.

For whatever reason be liked to hit those arrows on me if I stayed close, which people said would normally AVOID him casting it, but oh well.

Then I moved on to the Profaned Capital, the entry into this place straight up SUCKS. Fireballs coming at you and then having to double back so you can actually fight the Gargoyle? Get fucked. I cleared it out the first go around and it seemed like nothing was really there. Then I found the other smaller portion, and still, really kind of a dumb place compared to other areas. Back to back with Anor Londo, they're a real downer for size/design compared to Irithyll and elsewhere.

So now I've got three lords of cinders on their thrones, and it teleported me back to Lothric High Wall. Gotta look around and see what is different if anything because so far, I have no clue where to go from there.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not gonna lie, this DS3 talk has me wanting to jump back in. I did like it quite a bit. Didn't get terribly far, think I killed Wolnir and that's where I stopped.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Yo, real talk, FUCK Lothric Castle to the HIGHEST degree. Like, what the actual fuck happened between Irithyll/Andor/Capital that suddenly they decide to just dunk on the player? Everything is either red eyed, or also buffed by enchanters that I need to kill at the same time, OR BOTH.

I managed to actually open the shortcut to Consumed Kings Garden boss, but he's guarded by TWO GREAT SWORD KNIGHTS. So I have to be real slick on the dodge rolls to get past thos big motherfuckers and keep all my heals intact.

wankerness

Reaction score
Yo, real talk, FUCK Lothric Castle to the HIGHEST degree. Like, what the actual fuck happened between Irithyll/Andor/Capital that suddenly they decide to just dunk on the player? Everything is either red eyed, or also buffed by enchanters that I need to kill at the same time, OR BOTH.

I managed to actually open the shortcut to Consumed Kings Garden boss, but he's guarded by TWO GREAT SWORD KNIGHTS. So I have to be real slick on the dodge rolls to get past thos big motherfuckers and keep all my heals intact.
Lothric Castle is fine. The enchanter/knight duos at the beginning are fine once you learn where the enchanters are, or you can be like me on the first playthrough and hang out above shooting down at the red eye one for like ten minutes till he dies. The actual worst part of the level is probably the bigger, badder version of one of those super aggressive crawling frost knight guys (I think they mostly reused them in Elden Ring as bloodhound knights, but toned them down there). But you really need to be using ranged on some of the junk on that level. Especially on the dragons (if you like exploiting bugs) and the super aggressive blobby things that are anchored to the ground later.

You'll have some real fun on the gank trio in the library! THAT might be the hardest fight in the base game. Well, unless you try fighting the dual Sulyvahn beasts in the hidden basement right before anor londo.

Profaned Capital is sort of a connector zone. Yhorm is a fun boss if you actually did the onion knight quest. Anor Londo used to stress me out incredibly and I'd creep through it sniping all the silver knights and it would take FOREVER. The last couple playthroughs I just ran right up and smacked them. It's incredibly easy compared to the DS1 version of that section. Aldrich killed me a lot on my first playthrough until I just went two handed and stopped locking onto him and just charged him and would hit him in the tail repeatedly. Playing defensively usually didn't end well. And you could get really bad luck and have him start spamming you with those huge ranged attacks WHILE the arrow rain was going in the back half. Kind of an annoying boss.

Consumed Kings Garden trash mobs are BAD NEWS. Again, I usually end up using the bow, a LOT. Especially on the wandering pustule guys, and then towards the end to avoid pulling more than one of those huge mace guys at once like happens if you try and be melee man. I think you could get a summon for that section (though if you use them there they'll probably be mostly dead when you get to the boss; though that boss really isn't very hard compared to the trash).

Anyway, I'm getting somewhat close to the end of Lords of the Fallen. This game's got some idiotic design decisions, mainly revolving around checkpoints. After DS1, Fromsoft actually placed checkpoints in places that made sense. THIS GAME, though...more than once I've killed a boss, gone to a new zone, fought ANOTHER boss, and not seen a single goddam bonfire in that whole stretch. It's just stupid; that's needlessly cruel. One ENTIRE late game zone, like a 45 minute one, had zero real checkpoints in the whole thing and it was loaded with difficult mobs and perilous jumps. They have these stupid "flowerbeds" where you can plant seeds everywhere but you can only have one of those up at a time, the seeds are rare besides (unless you want to buy them for lots of your EXP), and you never know when you'll waste one and then find a real checkpoint immediately after if you haven't played the game before.

Basically they should have just filled in like 1/3 to 1/2 of those flowerbeds with actual checkpoints, taken out the entire mechanic, and just called it a day. It's a needlessly punishing mechanic, it's not fun at all, and I hate it. I'm also in the last stretch of the game where it's regularly just dropping two different midgame bosses on me as trash mobs, WHICH RESPAWN IF YOU DIE/REST, and urgh. Being sniped across the map with homing lasers that drain me for my entire health bar whiel I have to clear like 10 super tanky mobs to get to said sniper? FFFFFF this.

With just a few nerfs to make this less like "WE'RE GOING TO BE THE DARK SOULS OF DARK SOULS" BS this really could have been a great game. As is, it's good, but I hate how complex the level design is combined with how punishing and sloggy the trash mobs can be combined with the dire lack of checkpoints in the back half of the game. It just makes you want to curl up in a ball and hide instead of explore and fight to get to the next checkpoint, which is the opposite of what I assume was intended.

Last edited:

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
I don't know how you all can remember all that stuff about the games you play :lol:

Still playing Cyberpunk 2077, just finished Phantom Liberty's main mission yesterday. IDK, the DLC is fine, but I still don't know why I should care about any of the characters. I'd kill them all if I could.

Got to the final mission (point of no return) incredibly fast. It's way too short IMO, so I'm just doing everything else until I get bored. The secondary missions are good, and there are quite a few. The mission delivery is weird though, you can miss A LOT of missions if you don't pay attention or if you don't skip time a lot.

The game is in way better shape than it was 3 years ago, but I NEVER had a game crash so many times. It crashes at least once every 2 days, it's pretty shitty. I keep playing because the game is good, and because it takes like 30 seconds to reload and continue on the PS5, but still... pretty shitty.

wankerness

Reaction score
I don't know how you all can remember all that stuff about the games you play :lol:

Still playing Cyberpunk 2077, just finished Phantom Liberty's main mission yesterday. IDK, the DLC is fine, but I still don't know why I should care about any of the characters. I'd kill them all if I could.

Got to the final mission (point of no return) incredibly fast. It's way too short IMO, so I'm just doing everything else until I get bored. The secondary missions are good, and there are quite a few. The mission delivery is weird though, you can miss A LOT of missions if you don't pay attention or if you don't skip time a lot.

The game is in way better shape than it was 3 years ago, but I NEVER had a game crash so many times. It crashes at least once every 2 days, it's pretty shitty. I keep playing because the game is good, and because it takes like 30 seconds to reload and continue on the PS5, but still... pretty shitty.
Crashes at least once every 2 days? That's nothing! The Surge on PS5 would crash probably once every hour or two. Are you quitting out when you finish sessions or just leaving it suspended overnight and stuff? I've seen some otherwise stable games get weird (ex Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth) when I'd left the game running for like, 60 hours worth of gameplay, and it would be fixed by just closing out the game and reopening it.

I remember tons and tons of details about the dark souls games cause there's no map and thus you have to like, really memorize where stuff is, plus they're hard so you can remember struggling through areas instead of just breezing through without paying attention. Not to mention since 2020 I played through the three DS games a minimum of 6 times each as different builds thanks to doing all achievements on more than one platform and doing at least one playthrough just for fun besides! So, I couldn't tell you more than a couple of details about 90% of the other games I beat more than a year ago; if there's a map in-game then my brain doesn't bother remembering details about the world cause it's mostly irrelevant. I can remember detailed info on builds and weapons and stuff for the first few expansions of World of Warcraft, and I can remember a ton about the good weapons and farms and stuff in Borderlands 2/3, but other than that I tend to beat things and immediately forget most of the details, especially with disposable junk like Ubisoft open-worlders. Like when God of War Ragnarok came out I was worried cause I remembered like 5 plot points from the previous game (fortunately the game mostly reminds you of things in a way that assumes you have the memory of a goldfish).

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
lough in mid 2000 PC release.

I don't think I got that many crashes on PC, not even playing Bethesda games on a low-spec laptop :lol: Let alone on consoles.

I can barely remember any game crashing more than once or twice on a full playthrough. I think RDR2 and TLoU Part II maybe once.

Are you quitting out when you finish sessions or just leaving it suspended overnight and stuff? I've seen some otherwise stable games get weird (ex Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth) when I'd left the game running for like, 60 hours worth of gameplay, and it would be fixed by just closing out the game and reopening it.

I never quit any games or turn off the console since the PS4 era. Never. And I shouldn't, every other game I played works just fine. But, yeah, every time I get back to play the game is starts working weirder and weirder (some settings change, some geometry or characters won't load, your character is naked, etc., etc.) until it suddenly crashes. So far my playtime is 66 hours, and the game has crashed about 10 times or more. Luckily it auto saves often, so it's not such a big deal, but annoying. Also it shouldn't happen.

wankerness

Reaction score
It shouldn't happen, sure, but if you can avoid the issue by just closing the game out once a day it seems like an issue worth working around. As someone with basically the job of the guys on the IT crowd that spent all their time asking "did you turn it off and on again," it drives me nuts when people expect everything to work 100% of the time without being restarted, cause practically nothing electronic works that way besides like, stuff made pre 1980, especially not operating systems on computers. I guess I'm surprised when I get to the end of a game without having to end the session at least once. Baldur's Gate 3, for example, definitely needed a few restarts after it would start glitching (and got patched more than once while I was playing it so that restarted it too).

And yeah 2000ish on PC was an LOL all right, I remember feeling lucky when I could get a game running smoothly on my Radeon piece of shit in less than 10 tries and less than 2 reinstalls of different versions of my graphics drivers. And then the damn thing would overheat if I played for more than 3 hours at a time. Woooo.

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
it drives me nuts when people expect everything to work 100% of the time without being restarted

As I said: the rest of the games have worked fine this way so far since the PS4. But yeah, I know how these things work, you can't expect everything developers or companies say to be true (I'm a developer)... but I go months without having to reboot my workstation or phone or my... PS4/5. I even have a Windows 10 laptop that I basically never turn off.

It's just this game that's having these issue. Anyway, I would think that it takes more time to quit the game and load it again that just wait until it crashes and load it again :lol: It's only the random crashing that would be an issue.

Obviously there may be people who never had or never will have this issue, or had other games crash that never crashed on my PS5. I mean, I think this same game didn't crash more than once or twice when I played it on my PS4. I only played the main mission then though, so I also spent less time playing it.

But anyway, just in case I came across as aggressive (not my intention) or stubborn (I am!): I only mention this because it never happened with any other game in this or the last generation. Also because it is supposedly "fixed". Except for the crashes the game is cool, that and the PS5 very quick loading times is why I keep playing it.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
it drives me nuts when people expect everything to work 100% of the time without being restarted
I think years ago I'd have agreed at face value, but nowadays, it's super common for people to play through whole games without ever stopping and re-starting the game. Consoles having "suspend" features means your stuff has to run for hundreds of hours at a time without exploding. I'd love to say that all gamedevs everywhere soak test their titles but then I'd be lying.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
OK, so I finally made it thru that damn roadblock of the buffed knights/clerics and out to the barracks, and then pressed on to end up killing the dragons themselves while opening some shortcuts; then I went on to fight Oceiros, took him on the second try, AND Champion Gundyr on the second attempt too.

I think that means I just have to push that main gate I opened by the dragons, and 99% sure that'll be the Prince Lothric fight since I've heard the Dragon Slayer Armor is on a rooftop?

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone played Helldivers 2? It's getting rave reviews, and I'm looking for a new multiplayer game, but I also don't have my own group to play with so I'd probably be playing with randos.

Otherwise, 50 hours into Persona 3 Reload. Of course it has to come out between Like a Dragon and Final Fantasy VII Rebirth. These 3 games alone are practically gonna get me into the spring.

Latest posts