What Genre should be Bulb/Periphery/Fellsilent/Tesseract named under?

• Thread starter AeonSolus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AeonSolus

DO CEO / RHLC ©
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity.I've been trying to call it..something?, my tongue gets really tired when i try to explain what kind of style i'm into, I've called it: Experimental,Avant Garde, Polyrythmic Groove Metal, Math metal..

I'm not saying they sound alike or anything like that, it's just that THEIR kind of music makes you head bang like crazy and dance at the same time, because it Grooves, and no kind of music before listening to them could do that to me, so that's enough to categorize them under a genre :lol:, but i don't know which one.

Anyone has any idea? :wavey:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AeonSolus

DO CEO / RHLC ©
Reaction score
Pantera and Lamb come to my head when i say groove metal only, is just that the way the kickdrum follows the guitar riff is so characteristic in the bands i mentioned above, that for me you can't call that just groove metal..i think

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
how about they sound like Bulb/Periphery/Fellsilent/ or Tesseract. and dont bother with the classifications. you have already given a person 3 examples if your talking about 1 of the above. if they cant get an idea yet you either need to play them some, link them some, or tell them to buy it.

bulb

Reaction score
well its a bit difficult because Bulb is more Rainbow-Flavored-Polkacore and Periphery is more Forgot-My-Reservation-Sugarless-Sockdrawercore, so they are kinda worlds apart, also im too lazy to say them

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i describe this general area of metal as "metal that is technical, yet melodic". not really a genre, but it works well, no?

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Mm. I dunno. They're kinda like "Jump Around" with that Lucky Charms-style beat with the hardcore "melons-in-the-morning" type deal, adding just a taste of Creamed Buttered Corn and Banana Split-rhyme.

Yeah, I think that pretty much covers it.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
My itunes has 4 categories for metal stuff: metal, metal/hardcore (insert blatantly core stuff here), progressive metal (dream theater, opeth, etc), and nu-metal. Occasionally I toy with the idea of throwing everything into the the same gigantic genre that is METAL :shrug:

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
Sub genres are retarded. Metal is fine.

I like sub-genres. Not so much as a way to be all bullshit elitist and whatnot, but as a way to describe the different things i listen to.. i mean, there is a biiiiig fucking difference between, say, Metallica and 16volt... to me, one is pretty much just "metal", and the other is "Industrial Metal."

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, I've never got this whole "you cant classify things". Sorry but, if something is red, I'm going to say its red, not just "its just colours man".

I find it much easier to explain to someone that I listen to Prog, Tech Death, Black, Power, Viking, etc metal, and dont like Grindcore and Doom, rather than "I like metal except bits I dont", and then it ends up a 2 hour conversation trying to explain what I like, what I don't and why.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
My itunes has 4 categories for metal stuff: metal, metal/hardcore (insert blatantly core stuff here), progressive metal (dream theater, opeth, etc), and nu-metal. Occasionally I toy with the idea of throwing everything into the the same gigantic genre that is METAL :shrug:

On my iPod, I classify everything metal as just "Metal," regardless of what sub-genre it falls into. Oftentimes the software I use to rip CDs finds the info off the internet and puts "Thrash" or "Death Metal" or "Progressive Metal" or "Classic Metal" or whatever, but I always change it to just "Metal." The genres on my iPod are pretty broad. Such as: Rock, Alternative, Metal, Blues, Electronica, Goth, Industrial (I think nowadays that I probably should have combined Goth and Industrial), Classic Rock, Punk, Guitar (this is instrumental guitar stuff with no vocals such as Petrucci, Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen, etc.), and a few genres that I don't have many songs from.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
Goth, Industrial (I think nowadays that I probably should have combined Goth and Industrial).

Nah, much as some of them are similar, there are still definite differences in the genres :yesway: Good to keep them separate even if there aren't too many bands these days that actually do them seperately.

Especially when you're talking about old goth stuff and old industrial stuff; skinny puppy and Bauhaus or Siouxsie lol... very different things :D

Latest posts