What Genre should be Bulb/Periphery/Fellsilent/Tesseract named under?

• Thread starter AeonSolus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
I really don't mind the genres of metal. It only annoys me when shit starts getting down into sub-sub-sub-sub-genres and you end up with 'genres' like "Deathcorepoptro" or "Disco punkcore"... fucking stupid.

That being said, i still don't mind some of them, like the difference between Black Metal and Alternative Metal, or between Drill'N'Bass and Industrial. It makes it easier to describe.

DaveCarter

Melowiddler
Reaction score
The 4 bands in the title I would all refer to as Tech Metal. It becomes a subjective area to a certain degree, but Id personally favour that term over Groove Metal, as to me thats Brand New Sin territory.

HamBungler

Lord Zorgatron
Reaction score
Djent Metal?

No, djent is a technique, not a classification. They use lots of other techniques besides djent, such as tapping and a plethora of other stuff. There is occasional djent, yes, but its also not all djent all the time, so that really can't be used. We don't call Zakk Wylde's music pinch harmonic metal do we?

bulb

Reaction score
No, djent is a technique, not a classification. They use lots of other techniques besides djent, such as tapping and a plethora of other stuff. There is occasional djent, yes, but its also not all djent all the time, so that really can't be used. We don't call Zakk Wylde's music pinch harmonic metal do we?

in all honesty i think the most appropriate genre would be "misha's dick is longer than your boyfriend's metal"
yes i mean for all the bands listed, im sure they would agree too!

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
As a guy who's 2 favorite styles of music are rock/metal and electronic, I *REALLY* can't stand genre/sub-genre/sub-sub-sub-sub-genre labeling.

I'm really into drum n bass music, and the sub-sub-genre thing in that genre has gotten completely out of hand.

The same can be said for metal. I have a roommate who's one of those 'metal or stfu' kind of guys, and we carpool to work together, which means that 2-3 days a week, I "get" to listen to his music.

Every day, he puts in one or two CDs that are essentially some dickhole screaming bloody murder in ONE TONE over a whole album of blast beats and unintelligable guitar noises. (seemingly, metal bands don't have bass players any more, and if they do, EVERY engineer who records them needs to be FIRED IMMEDIATELY.) ANYWAY, my point is the shit all sounds IDENTICAL to me, but he swears that CD 1 = grindcore, and CD 2= metalcore, and CD 3 = doom, etc etc etc. It's all bull shit.

Just because your drummer has a propensity to do half time beats during your breakdown/bridge sections, doesn't mean you get your own exclusive sub-genre title. You're STILL just 'metal', end of story.

*edit* And so long as I'm here ranting and being a dick, I'll go ahead and add that "djent" is the stupidest descriptive term I've ever heard.

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
I like the term Polyrythmic Groove Metal :hbang:
I think Mnemic's own genre would fit, too.
Future Fusion Metal: It sounds very futuristic like industrial metal, it's got the polymetric stuff of progressive metal, the groove of groove metal and the melodic parts sound often like melodic death metal :nuts:

toolsound

Reaction score
Yep, I've never got this whole "you cant classify things". Sorry but, if something is red, I'm going to say its red, not just "its just colours man".

I find it much easier to explain to someone that I listen to Prog, Tech Death, Black, Power, Viking, etc metal, and dont like Grindcore and Doom, rather than "I like metal except bits I dont", and then it ends up a 2 hour conversation trying to explain what I like, what I don't and why.

That's fine, but here's an example from my side of the story:

I'll tell someone that I like Daylight Dies and they'll give me a 5 minute explanation about why Daylight Dies isn't actually "doom" metal. Frankly, I couldn't care less. I can't stand the sub-genre debates.

kershyboy

Collibus Bassist
Reaction score
theres only 3 genres anybody needs to know.

1. shite metal
2. good metal
3. absolutely fantastic metal

hahaha

I'd just call it metal lol

John_Strychnine

I Was Once Groove.
Reaction score
TesseracT - Progressive Groove

Bulb/Periphery/That misha dude - Technical Progressive Metal

Fellsilent - Progressive Metal with too many gay chorus'.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Fellsilent - Progressive Metal with too many gay chorus'.

:lol:

there are many things you could class it as:

tech, prog, avante-garde, experimental, djent and groove amongst a host of other sub-genres.

everyone knows who invented this style of music = Meshuggah.

but I think it was their intention that they made something different and something that could not be pidgeon-holed into pre-existing genre terms.

Latest posts