What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I once heard the SigX is a Deliverance but with tons and tons more bells and whistles. How true is that?

Also if all goes well, I'll be owning my first 8 string early next month

Bearitone

Reaction score
EDIT: reply to a few posts above ^^^

The GC near me has actually refunded me shipping for the last two fuck ups. The last one was just straight up dishonest though. I called the store (forgot what stage it was in) and asked if the amp functioned fully, and was told it did and it would tested again thoroughly before shipping to me. It arrived and literally only the volume knob on the first channel functioned. They just straight lied and wasted money shipping a broken amp.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Ah sorry, I'm talking about youtube clips, not through my cab yet. This is what is your _next_ purchase, and I just wrapped up negotiations but don't have the amp in house yet (and too far to try it out).

But yea, actually dig the Sig-X clips a bit more to be honest, but letting the legion of rig-talk guys who slightly prefer the UL to justify the extra cost. As for the cab sound, later this month I'll be expanding my monitor setup with a sub for bass playing, and will get one of those two-notes CAB Ms / switch to more playing through monitors. So UL -> torpedo reload for loadbox -> cab M for impulse -> monitors. My attempt at making gearwhoring work in dense metro living.

I love my UL to death. I kept an eye out for years to find a decent deal on one, but it was well worth the wait. It's my "desert island" amp :metal:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
I once heard the SigX is a Deliverance but with tons and tons more bells and whistles. How true is that?

Also if all goes well, I'll be owning my first 8 string early next month
You can get all Fryettes to sound close to one another, but not exactly the same. The sig:x was designed to literally be a signature amp for anyone. Each channel has a switch with 3 modes as well as a boost (2 gain knobs), more or less gain switch, and a 40 watt mode. I havent found anything the amp cannot do.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
All this Ultralead talk is making me want one even more. Even though I’m sure I don’t need one.

The other weekend I built a 4(ish) unit rack out of scrap wood I had in the garage, for my 2/50/2 and GP/DI to live in, as I was rearranging things. Been playing it a lot lately, some real good punch to be had.

I still like to use a boost with it though for metal tones (as I do with everything). Using my axe FX in the loop for eq, gate, and effects. I vaguely copied some of the GEQ settings I saw people using when I googled for Pittbulls, they work good! The ‘voicing’ switch on the power amp really brings the upper midrange bite, key to good metal tones.

0B627370-1F29-4C6B-B757-0D7DE2270A11.jpeg

Now I need to think of something to go into the other half of that rack shelf

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
I'm still kicking myself for not buying that sig x I found on craigslist for 1000$ last year.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I'm still kicking myself for not buying that sig x I found on craigslist for 1000$ last year.

Still in the same boat. I kinda got turned off by VHT because I didn't dig the D120 model in the Fractal AX8. But after hearing that some of the Axe models missed the mark, I'm curious about trying them again.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
Man I found a Sig X for $600 back when I had my D120 and passed thinking they must go cheap all the time. Haven’t seen another even close to that price since haha. Oh well, UL still gives me all the VHT flavor I need.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Sadly, UL's are never cheap...i will acquire one some day. And the last time i said that i had my sig:x 2 weeks later. :lol:

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
These days how does Fryette even sell amps with the Sig-X discontinued and the ULs being like $4k new? Supposedly there's a Sig-X 2 in the works, but in the meantime, no lunchbox versions, not really any channel switcher to compete in the $2-2.5k range.

At this point I've got enough amps that I don't have to think of versatility or even give the clean channel a second, so I can just (hopefully) appreciate the UL for it's UL-ness.

Reaction score
These days how does Fryette even sell amps with the Sig-X discontinued and the ULs being like $4k new? Supposedly there's a Sig-X 2 in the works, but in the meantime, no lunchbox versions, not really any channel switcher to compete in the $2-2.5k range.

At this point I've got enough amps that I don't have to think of versatility or even give the clean channel a second, so I can just (hopefully) appreciate the UL for it's UL-ness.

Why the hell would anyone want a luncbox version? Fryettes are known for being tight and dry..I'd say headroom helps a lot there.

People buy those amps just like they buy Diezels and whatnot. If you can afford it, then you get one..if not..well..good luck on the used circuit. I'm all for that business model. Keeps everything balanced.

rokket2005

Reaction score
If anyone wants a low wattage Fryette there's the GPDI. The problem that Fryette is having is that they completely shifted their focus. They make more powerstations than anything else at the moment. They cut basically all their amps aside from the aether and the memphis, neither of which I think they sell a ton of. Steve was working on the Sound City amps which I think they unveiled at like Namm 2016 or something, but it's such a small operation that everything is taking forever to get to market.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
To be fair guys, they are actually making amps in limited quantities. They just aren't making all models at the moment. I know the sig:x is essentially discontinued, i haven't heard any rumors of a version 2 other than random internet BS (would be awesome though).

I think Steve is happy where he is, at this moment in this business, but that's just my :2c:.

In all honesty, I wish I had money to have Steve personally build me a UL.

Everyone ATM is all about Fortin builds...i could care less.

narad

Reaction score
Fryette guys, this ad just popped up on a FB gear exchange. Let me know if you need a direct pointer. He doesn't have pics of the head up yet though, can't say if it's GEQ:

Fryette Ultralead and Cab and Fryette attenuator
$2,200
Temecula, CA
Brand new tubes and the amp has clean bill of health.
This amp freaking slays! Can has some scratches and so does the tolex on the head but nothing major.
Small hole in front grill of the cab. Cab is missing plastic but to hold speaker insert but I have a replacement in the mail

Willing to negotiate and would rather do deal local but will ship the head if someone is interested.

$1800 for the head
$500 for the cab
$350 for the attenuator

Same $100 and buy them together.
Also have a Fryette attenuator if anyone is interested. Willing to make a great deal if you buy it all.

Took some of the pictures in a rush this morning hit me up if you want more!

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Fryette guys, this ad just popped up on a FB gear exchange. Let me know if you need a direct pointer. He doesn't have pics of the head up yet though, can't say if it's GEQ:

Fryette Ultralead and Cab and Fryette attenuator
$2,200
Temecula, CA
Brand new tubes and the amp has clean bill of health.
This amp freaking slays! Can has some scratches and so does the tolex on the head but nothing major.
Small hole in front grill of the cab. Cab is missing plastic but to hold speaker insert but I have a replacement in the mail

Willing to negotiate and would rather do deal local but will ship the head if someone is interested.

$1800 for the head
$500 for the cab
$350 for the attenuator

Same $100 and buy them together.
Also have a Fryette attenuator if anyone is interested. Willing to make a great deal if you buy it all.

Took some of the pictures in a rush this morning hit me up if you want more!
oooh baby, if that's a GEQ then that price is great, if not then BOOOOO, TO THE TRASH HEAP IT GOES

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
FWIW I A/B’d a UL GEQ vs a KSR Ares at Axe Palace for several hours and ended up going with the KSR. The UL was my dream amp but we were able to dial in the exact same tones. And this was same cab and guitar and flipping an A/B switch back and forth between with the two amps while playing. :2c:

That said... I’ll prob still buy a UL down the road once I’m back living in a house.

narad

Reaction score
FWIW I A/B’d a UL GEQ vs a KSR Ares at Axe Palace for several hours and ended up going with the KSR. The UL was my dream amp but we were able to dial in the exact same tones. And this was same cab and guitar and flipping an A/B switch back and forth between with the two amps while playing. :2c:

That said... I’ll prob still buy a UL down the road once I’m back living in a house.

Duuude, I *just* paid for the UL like 12 hours ago, you're killing the dream! :'(

Seriously though, if it was at the Axe Palace I assume it was the the KT88 UL, but then I'm pretty surprised at them being exactly the same back-and-forth with 6L6s. The 6L6 UL gets a lot of flak online from guys who have tried both (not that it's a different amp, just when it's setup with those tubes).