What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
That white Cort is HOT, and I'm not even a Floyd or HSS guy. Make for one hell of a cheaper Adrian Smith clone though.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Just brought this home, didn't think I'd the finish based on the photos, but it plays just as well as my EC-1000 and I managed to get it for fucking $5 after my SG Pro trade-in and the combined gift card from my 5-year anniversary at work/Christmas gift card :lol:

I think those one is actually going to get dropped down to D standard with Duncan Distortion in the bridge/no neck pickup, and the EC-1000 will come back up to E Standard with a Phat Cat in the bridge as I'm anxious to try out something different.

40123-S000087786-1

Dig that color, but I thought you were gonna do a Viper next?

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I was, but then I was like, I've had these SGs for a few years now and I love the Eclipse I got from James so the idea the idea of having "twins" got under my skin, sort of 'stick with what you know'; so I played it safe and at least gave that one it's fair shot and it really did floor me. Plus being able to go home with it that day for legitimately $5 out of pocket after trade-in/gift-cards, I couldn't say no.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MUTANTOID

Reaction score
This isn't guitar related, but I have been LUSTING over the Arturia V Collection for a while now. I am now on the fence between V Collection and NI Komplete. Any synth heads here that have experience with either?

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
I have considered buying a Flextone head, mostly because I wanted one back in the day and couldn't afford it. Wonder how cheap they go for now, or if they would even compete with new options.

This model is the first line, I think. Flextone Duo. I think it only had the original 16 amps and less features, but it works great. There’s definitely usable sounds, and there’s even an fx loop, so I might add my own EQ for tweaking.

I’ve also considered the Flextone II HD for years because of Dino and Meshuggah.

Shask

Reaction score
This model is the first line, I think. Flextone Duo. I think it only had the original 16 amps and less features, but it works great. There’s definitely usable sounds, and there’s even an fx loop, so I might add my own EQ for tweaking.

I’ve also considered the Flextone II HD for years because of Dino and Meshuggah.
Yeah, I loved those first Flextone combos back in the day. I REALLY wanted one back in my college Dorm days. I remember playing them in stores all the time back then.

Of course, I ended up going the cheap rack stuff route at the time.... Rockmasters, PSA-1s, Rocktron Preamps, etc....

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I would be tempted to try and get one if it was bubblegum pink or atomic green.
Same. I wish they went all out crazy with the colors. Like those new Music Mans Cutlasses.

628ad50ea183e938597fa8f42d24dfef.jpg

Something that isn't making this easy is that I just remembered the 2021 Squier Contemporary guitars.

56186_Squier_CONT_STRAT_SPCL_HT_LRL_BPG_PWT_370235523_2_4000x@2x.progressive.jpg

This is basically a gateway to a poor man's Jake E Lee guitar. :lol:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Eh, his was still HSS with the single coils being slanted in the opposite orientation; that's close but it looks like they tried to design the Jake E Lee from memory and didn't get it quite right.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Eh, his was still HSS with the single coils being slanted in the opposite orientation; that's close but it looks like they tried to design the Jake E Lee from memory and didn't get it quite right.
That's why said it's a gateway. You still gotta put work on it. I'm aware the pickups aren't right, but nothing a new pickguard and better pickups right.

Plus I'm pretty sure Jake wasn't the inspiration. Seems more like it was Robbie Robertson.

fender_custom_shop_robbie_robertston_stratocaster_last_waltz_limited_edition_fbv.jpg

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
That's why said it's a gateway. You still gotta put work on it. I'm aware the pickups aren't right, but nothing a new pickguard and better pickups right.

Plus I'm pretty sure Jake wasn't the inspiration. Seems more like it was Robbie Robertson.

fender_custom_shop_robbie_robertston_stratocaster_last_waltz_limited_edition_fbv.jpg
The inspiration was 100% the California Special:

43897_Fender_Custom_Shop_Ron_Thorn_9216080035_1_4000x@3x.progressive.jpg

Gnarcade

Reaction score
This isn't guitar related, but I have been LUSTING over the Arturia V Collection for a while now. I am now on the fence between V Collection and NI Komplete. Any synth heads here that have experience with either?

I have V collection 7 and NI Komplete. I'm guessing you're primarily interested in the synths and keys so that's what I'll comment on in regard to NI: Both are really fun, but I find I end up playing with the NI stuff a little more often. Their synths have more of a "grab and go" feeling to them where as the Arturia stuff has a ton of depth. It might be my personal preference due to context (parent of a 1 year old) that often only gives me 20-30 minutes at a time to jam. Another thing to consider in my experience is that the NI stuff has its own vibe, tending to sound more modern and polished. Whereas the Arturia synths absolutely replicate the specific instruments they are modeling with precision, for all the good and bad that comes along with that.

I might think about it like this -
- looking to quickly locate and apply a sound you have in your head, particularly one more modern? Go with NI Komplete.
- Want to play around or dig into historically accurate models of vintage synths? Go with Arturia.

One final caveat to my commentary - I have no keyboard/piano talent whatsoever. I'm a hack guitar player who slaps my hands against a cheap midi keyboard and knows just enough about synthesis to be dangerous.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Absolutely! Another delay, stack them. Great fun :D

FWIW I was checking out videos of the Supa Puss and CCD and it was making me GAS for them agian. :lol:

Honestly the Empress sounded fantastic and exactly what I wanted sound wise, but a nitpicky dealbreaker was how the time knob worked. I hate it when delays separate the time settings on a switch. I don't like it when you need to use a switch/toggle to get a delay's full time length.

Honestly, my ideal delay would be the Line 6 DM4, but... its big. Really big. :lol: And needs it's own power supply.