What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Millul

Reaction score
Help me!!!
459318.jpg

4o0a0851_1be16cf99e.jpg

750-LMHTAcMtSW__front.jpg

EKKXjl7XsAAoCTI.jpg

4o0a0588_5c2fadcc0a.jpg

I want them all.

3, 4 and 5 - I'm looking to get one of thos Arctic Metals myself, the V is sick, and the 87 is hella cool (but I'd go for the candy apple red one personally)

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Damn, I already did this with fuzz faces and have a Bone Machine that
I've barely scratched the surface of what it will do.

So are all of these just a variation on a theme? Seems like the life pedal is kinda unique.

So guys give me your top 3 and I'll start digging. :imnew: :lol:

Not sure what tones you're looking for or price range... but some quick thoughts:

Bottom Line Up Front: ThorpyFX Muffroom Cloud, Deep Trip BOG, Deep Trip Kryptone, Henretta H-Bomb Fuzz, and Kingtone Si or Ge fuzz.

Muff: Bass, scooped mids, smooth. Great for soloing or rhythm. More like a distortion than raspy fuzz. I'd recommend any of the EHX, JHS, and my fav the ThorpyFX Muffroom Cloud (also called Fallout Cloud I think). Thorpy is super quiet, smooth, and has unique bass and treble controls to really dial in perfect. Incredible for leads or rhythm.

Fuzz Face: Really fuzzy, thin low end but sits in a mix well. Best into an OD. The Kingtone Ge or Si fuzz is my fav for Hendrix type stuff. Bonamassa and Eric Johnson FF are awesome too but can get expensive. Current fav is Deep Trip Land BOG (Band of Gypsies) - Hendrix Si Fuzz Face with bass contour (tight to rounded bass), high (smooth to aggressive), and bias control.

Tone Bender: Raspy, throaty, but depensing on type not as much as FF. Comes in multiple versions with subtle tweaks to circuit over years. Again not a lot of bass but sits great in mix. Think Page. JHS Bender is really good. My current fav is Land Effects Kryptone (has tight control, high, and bias control like the BOG).

Fuzzstortion: Usually a FF or TB circuit with a built in pre or post dirt. Catalinbread Katzenkoenig is one of my fav because Fuzz and Rat mix well. Henretta Choad Master (also called Chord Master lol) is fuzz and MIAB and is amazing.

Octave Fuzz: Usually an Octavia circuit plus fuzz. Some are more usable than others, often a niche tool, not for everyone. Henretta H-Bomb and Kingtone Octaland are my favs. Also the Emma Nojs because it has both octave up and down, the down is the best tracking octave I've ever heard.

Modern Fuzz: Splatty, gated, noise! Devi ever. Dwarfcraft, NRG (from smooth to destruction). NRG is my fav it has a killer gated sounds but does it all.

Things to know about fuzz...

Many of the circuits are either Germanium (Ge) or Silicon (Si) transistors. Si is typically louder and Ge typically is quieter but cleans up better and has more range and character (Si gets louder/dirty quicker). But again circuit matters - the Kingtone Si Fuzz cleans up fantastic and does vintage no prob.

There are modern features that are awesome to have. Bias control (affects voltage to transistor, makes it splatty or gated). Also treble contour to add girth to what are normally weaker bass circuits. Also some have a bass tightness control because circuits like muff get really bassy.

Just off the top of my head though. Theres a lot of great fuzz companies and pedals... I'm prob missing some obvious ones.

BigViolin

...---...
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick thoughts!...tons to consider in the big fuzzy world.

Fuzzfaces: my keepers are the EJ Gold Dunlop, a BC109 from Analogman and my fave, an older big box red Fulltone 69.

I've a couple of Skeddys that cover what I want from a muff. Benders are cool but I don't own a one. I'm probably most intrigued by the rat-fuzzes and the newer wild gated octave fuzzes.

Have you tried any of the Trombetta stuff?

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Splatty gated but useful:

Simplified version of this fuzzstortion unit:

Havent tried Trombetta but I need to. Theres a company that makes amazing copies I just cant remember. Have to go through my reverb list.

oneblackened

Tube Amp Dork
Reaction score
Well my latest purchase was kind of a dud. I need to send this LTD baritone back to ESP because it has a twist in the neck...

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Current fav is Deep Trip Land BOG (Band of Gypsies) - Hendrix Si Fuzz Face with bass contour (tight to rounded bass), high (smooth to aggressive), and bias control.

It's not a fuzz face if it doesn't have a face. There was one guy making kind of aged replicas I was checking out but then they were going for $800-1200+

Martinzz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm searching for something new now. What about Parker P38 Electric Guitar? What can you say about this?

Matt08642

Reaction score
Ordered a Dunlop DVP3, arrived, aaaaaaand back it goes due to scratchiness and cutting out at the end of travel (toe down, loudest). Tried with a completely different guitar and set of cables and does the same thing. Maybe it's dust or something in the pot but that whole assembly looks like a nightmare to disassemble and fully clean.

Sucks, it was over $200 shipped.

Returned it, spent $75 on a used Little Alligator on Reverb:

upload_2021-2-18_14-58-17.png

Works perfectly, silent, not as good at very gradual volume swells, but works for what I want to use it for.

Last edited:

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
The buffers in those are great. The cleartone buffer or whatever they call it. I have one in my Bad Horsie Wah. These are great pedals.

Matt08642

Reaction score
The buffers in those are great. The cleartone buffer or whatever they call it. I have one in my Bad Horsie Wah. These are great pedals.

I have a Bad Horsie as well later in the chain, another super inexpensive used score off Reverb. It's funny, the reason I got a Morley wah (aside from being a Vai fanboy) was because my old Dunlop 535Q had a scratchy pot and janky switch (replaced the switch twice, once through Dunlop and once through a store warranty) and I was fed up, then all these years later the volume pedal was bought for more or less the same reasoning :lol:

Love Morley stuff, but haven't tried any of the new compact or 20/20 pedals, hope they're the same indestructible quality!

Millul

Reaction score
Got the Rockits KRK5 and the Scarlett Solo, but I'll get the cables to connect them only tomorrow (don't ask...).
Had A TON of fun playing the NDSP Plini plugin trial through headphones, though! can't wait to try it through monitors!

Jonesing for some AMT preamp pedals as well..,we never have too many options, right?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Gonna probably get the auto-return Crybaby Mini. I used to have the standard Crybaby 535Q and honestly the size didn't bug me at all. The lack of a switchless feature did. But I just remembered it exists, And I'm running out of pedalboard space, sooo...

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Gonna probably get the auto-return Crybaby Mini. I used to have the standard Crybaby 535Q and honestly the size didn't bug me at all. The lack of a switchless feature did. But I just remembered it exists, And I'm running out of pedalboard space, sooo...

ended up pulling the trigger. Zzounds website claims they only had one left so fuck it. :lol: Hope I got it in time.

MUTANTOID

Reaction score
I have V collection 7 and NI Komplete. I'm guessing you're primarily interested in the synths and keys so that's what I'll comment on in regard to NI: Both are really fun, but I find I end up playing with the NI stuff a little more often. Their synths have more of a "grab and go" feeling to them where as the Arturia stuff has a ton of depth. It might be my personal preference due to context (parent of a 1 year old) that often only gives me 20-30 minutes at a time to jam. Another thing to consider in my experience is that the NI stuff has its own vibe, tending to sound more modern and polished. Whereas the Arturia synths absolutely replicate the specific instruments they are modeling with precision, for all the good and bad that comes along with that.

I might think about it like this -
- looking to quickly locate and apply a sound you have in your head, particularly one more modern? Go with NI Komplete.
- Want to play around or dig into historically accurate models of vintage synths? Go with Arturia.

One final caveat to my commentary - I have no keyboard/piano talent whatsoever. I'm a hack guitar player who slaps my hands against a cheap midi keyboard and knows just enough about synthesis to be dangerous.

I appreciate the feedback! I think the NI bundle is a better use of my money. I'm not a purist, just looking for a wide selection of usable tones that's not going to take long to tweak.

r33per

Reaction score
Octave Fuzz: Usually an Octavia circuit plus fuzz. Some are more usable than others, often a niche tool, not for everyone. Henretta H-Bomb and Kingtone Octaland are my favs. Also the Emma Nojs because it has both octave up and down, the down is the best tracking octave I've ever heard.
I do like an octave fuzz, never heard of the Emma Okto-nojs before. Suffice to say, based on this, I'm a fan and will be seeking one out...

Thanks!!!

Mourguitars

Reaction score
Hey ! I finally bought something....

E83CC tube...$25 shipped

But honestly i really don't need anything....i have shelfs of stuff , Today i put a WGS ReaperHP and a Invader in a 2x12 cab wired it to 8 ohms...they pair well like a Heritage and Greenback...suprised

Mike

akinari

Reaction score
I'm searching for something new now. What about Parker P38 Electric Guitar? What can you say about this?

If you find a good deal on one, do it. Maybe replace the pickups depending on what you want it to do. Stock bridge pickup splits well but ain't the tightest ever.

Reaction score
... so I'm for the first time in more than 15 years looking for 6 string guitar humbuckers... I'm open for suggestions bellow the €120 mark on Alnico 5 loaded magnets mid/high output. For those whom may need the info, they're for an Ibanez S2120X, mahogany body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard and LoPro Double Edge trem (means it has piezos included)

... I'm also getting Triplseshot pickup rings, a new piezo preamp, barrel jacks, a new gigbag...