What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had ordered a Ken Lawrence explorer sometime around 2008, when I lived in Amherst, MA. When it was finished in maybe 2012 or so, I had graduated and moved on and was living with my parents. I pinged Ken here and there, and I knew the guitar was near completion and getting ready for ship. Then I received an email saying like, "it should be delivered!" and I'm like, via Fedex?? Because that truck already came? "The address is still ... Amherst, MA, right?" WHAAAAT!?

I had to race the 5 hours out to Amherst hoping the most expensive guitar ever wasn't stolen off the porch. When I got there, there was no box, but my previous neighbors said they saw a mysterious guitar box sitting there and when they walked up to it, it had my name on it, so they had put it in their porch :D So grabbed it, turned around, got back home around 3-4am. And it was a KL and super amazing so I didn't even really dwell on how ridiculous the situation was.

Moral of that story is don't deal with assholes that ship expensive packages 4 years after ordering without checking the address first :lol:

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Moral of that story is don't deal with assholes that ship expensive packages 4 years after ordering without checking the address first :lol:

It was a weird move. I don't know where the miscommunication actually went down but yea, it's also hard to really be mad when it was done out of a desire to create a pleasant surprise vs. a surprise at N Pleasant St, Amherst, MA.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It was a weird move. I don't know where the miscommunication actually went down but yea, it's also hard to really be mad when it was done out of a desire to create a pleasant surprise vs. a surprise at N Pleasant St, Amherst, MA.

Yeah for me, having friends that had things ripped off from their porches, a multi-thousand dollar package showing up with no notification that I don't know about is not a surprise I want :rofl:

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Yeah for me, having friends that had things ripped off from their porches, a multi-thousand dollar package showing up with no notification that I don't know about is not a surprise I want :rofl:
Yea, I was lucky. But also, fucking Fedex not asking for a signature on a multi-thousand dollar package??

These days though that stuff seems a lot more prevalent and I think an obvious concern. 2012 was a different time. People didn't lock their doors. You said hi to your neighbors. A vanilla malt cost a nickel. Church on sundays, etc.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yea, I was lucky. But also, fucking Fedex not asking for a signature on a multi-thousand dollar package??

These days though that stuff seems a lot more prevalent and I think an obvious concern. 2012 was a different time. People didn't lock their doors. You said hi to your neighbors. A vanilla malt cost a nickel. Church on sundays, etc.

Signature is an extra charge so the shipper has to ask for it. And lmfao at 2012

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Last month I drove 4.5 hours each way to get an EBMM Jason Richardson 7.
Man, that's crazy. If it's over an hour of drive time, I'd just ask them to ship it. My time is worth way more than the $50-100 it'd cost to put it in a box and slap a label on it. I don't think there's ever been a piece of gear I'd even remotely consider driving 9 hours round trip for. It'd have to be like a Wizard half stack for $100 :lol:

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Im decent at spending other people’s money, what can i say :lol:

But also drri’s are great amps, hope you dig it.
Oh, believe me, I too am a terrible influence in cases like this as well LOL!

I was playing with the model in the HX Stomp last night, thinking it'd quell my GAS for one and it definitely just made me want to buy one more. Damn you, Line 6.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Man, that's crazy. If it's over an hour of drive time, I'd just ask them to ship it. My time is worth way more than the $50-100 it'd cost to put it in a box and slap a label on it. I don't think there's ever been a piece of gear I'd even remotely consider driving 9 hours round trip for. It'd have to be like a Wizard half stack for $100 :lol:
It was an in person trade. He wouldn't ship

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Getting a next-level EQ pedal soon. The Source Audio EQ2 and the Boss EQ-200 are the same price. I’m torn like Natalie Imbruglia.
If you want to use it in front of an amp, don’t get the EQ2. It’s great but it overloads with high output pickups. (The D-Activator in the baritone I used to own for example)

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
It was an in person trade. He wouldn't ship
Was the price worth buying from someone who would ship? With the price of gas, that's like $150 round trip in my car (more if you don't have something with ~30mpg), not to mention the 9 hours you lost of your day. 9 hours of my time outside of work is worth at least $100/hr considering time I lost with my family. I used to be cool with this when I was younger, but as I get older, I've realized that time is the only commodity I can't get back and it better be an insanely amazing deal for me to bother giving up that time for 🤷‍♂️

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you want to use it in front of an amp, don’t get the EQ2. It’s great but it overloads with high output pickups. (The D-Activator in the baritone I used to own for example)

You can’t change the input level and it just clips the front-end A/D? 😦

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Was the price worth buying from someone who would ship? With the price of gas, that's like $150 round trip in my car (more if you don't have something with ~30mpg), not to mention the 9 hours you lost of your day. 9 hours of my time outside of work is worth at least $100/hr considering time I lost with my family. I used to be cool with this when I was younger, but as I get older, I've realized that time is the only commodity I can't get back and it better be an insanely amazing deal for me to bother giving up that time for 🤷‍♂️
I didn't want to outright buy one and i wanted to get rid of my ESP. It was a win-win. I had fuckall to do that weekend.

Last edited: