What is your "white whale" guitar?

• Thread starter Wynseun
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
One of those Ibanez RGT Prestiges from the early-mid 00s. There were two models, one with a a sunburst finish and one in natural. I don't remember the model names. I always thought they looked great. Played one during a family vacation to a part of the country you could actually find high end stuff. They were actually kind of a good deal at the time, if I'm remembering correctly.

I decided on a Jackson SL2H instead to blow my high school graduation money on. I don't regret that one bit, since that's still my #1. However, it's gotten very hard to find those RGTs.

This model? It's the RGT3120 (or RGT3170 Japan-only market).

gwwqkpnz7u8lnlzmudav.jpg

Last edited:

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
That white Tele is 90% of the reason I bought my contemporary Tele :lol: Closest I've ever seen them come to releasing a hum/hum white telecaster with maple board + inlays.
While I do love the white with maple (and that’s spurned almost all gas’s since then) the black one really has my knickers in a twist. Gotta be the binding

Warmart

Reaction score
This one has blown me away and making me rethink the other 10 guitars on the wall. Pickups are f'n killer, too. HT is not a marketing gimmick, this Saber can do it all - harmonics jumping out everywhere with minimal to no effort.

Doesn't hurt that it's white and the first song I played on it was Blood and Thunder, 'eh?
Sabre Front.jpgSabre Playing Position.jpg

CapinCripes

Trem Snob
Reaction score
I have a few that I'll never end up with.
A 86-87 Kramer "American" Beretta. With a caveat. Maple board top mounted Floyd and not a baretta 2 body shape. Most have rosewood boards. They exist though, rare as hell. Wouldn't want it black or would refinish if it was.
hdldielargn72cyhfqmh.jpg

Second is a hamer scepter explorer
cwc6lmpbixwpm66rcawh.jpg

Third is a Ibanez pl 2660
vlhf4jxdgkbmpxfwqias.jpg

And finally for this post an 84 style explorer with a kahler and ebony board
jfd1vm8bbxmfyatuut6y.jpg

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Vapula stuff is golden and that specific 8 string explorer has been a top 5 guitar for me ever since I first saw it.

Production wise, I'll echo the earlier S5470Q WCB and also add the limited-run RG752R WCB that Axe Palace did:

48552277331_ec68fa3162_b.jpg
Hey that's my picture! :lol:

I was after a Wild Cherry Blossom, and still am, and back then this guy popped up on Reverb. I was mostly after the RG2820QZ in this finish, but I figured it was worth trying. As much as I loved the look of it, truly stunning and can only be appreciated in person, I just couldn't jive with its tone. I swapped out pickups in it several times and I still couldn't jive with it.

I ended up selling it for a stupidly low price, oddly, no one really wanted it. I sometimes regret it, but then I'm reminded it just wasn't for me.

Still, my white whale is this damn RG2820QZ. It's been years of searching with no luck. One did pop up recently, first in years, but it was grossly overpriced, as in even more than its new price.

r126646100.1.jpg

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Also...
F98080A7-3221-4477-9FC4-2FAE811747FA_jpe-1461476.JPG

Allen Collins' Firebird. Would I buy a '64 Firebird and modify it...fuck yes I would, but I'm not gonna pay boomer prices for it.

Marked Man

Reaction score
That is the one. The black one in particular is the real want.

He looks like a character from Lord of the Rings in this one!

I've been aware he was putting out some killer albums since the '90s, but have only really been diving into them over the last 2 years or so. Great player and more importantly a great writer, and has a voice like a demon when he wants it....and it's always interesting to hear his take on things. :cheers:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
That is the one. The black one in particular is the real want.

@3:05 and 3:35 are amazingly Devin moments. I used to watch the part 1 on repeat to learn how be played the intro to "Truth" because all the tabs were wrong.

While the white one is a full-on custom, I think the black one is just a heavily-modified ESP Ron Wood tele. You can even see the screws for what WAS a pickguard.
Get an ESP (or LTD) Ronnie Wood sig, Route out the bridge pickup for an humbucker and replace it with an EMG. Install an EMG in the neck and add a black pickup ring. Boom. Done. White whale achieved.