What is your "white whale" guitar?

• Thread starter Wynseun
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Marked Man

Reaction score
OMG I found the Universe… gifted to someone I will stalk, track down, and force them to will it to me… So it was the P&W cover guitar, monkey grip photoshopped out to match production UVs. How am I forgetting this story? Anyways, it’s faded to hell now but it was a piece of history. I’d love to have a reasonable copy.

Also 2 more D3s popped up for $13K on reverb… and now I’m scrambling to move stuff around or debate which organs I won’t miss so much…

Took me a minute to recognize who that former kid prodigy is. ;)

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
Sounds like the problem is not the guitar, but caring what random people on the internet think of your personal choices.
But how else do people justify what they have, what they want, and what they purchase? It's not about getting a good guitar you want, that's not the in-thing. Neither is actually using it.
No, it's all about the imaginary internet social media social credit points to influence and validate their decisions. /s/

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
But how else do people justify what they have, what they want, and what they purchase? It's not about getting a good guitar you want, that's not the in-thing. Neither is actually using it.
No, it's all about the imaginary internet social media social credit points to influence and validate their decisions. /s/
We all know the real reason
Screenshot_20230515_100020_Samsung Internet.jpg

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
Two of em, the boring one and the (I think) more unique one. Of course I'd love to have me a white Les Paul custom so I can never be as good as Randy all over it. But if I had all the money to spend? I'd track down someone, anyone who had a mint Washburn NX-6 just like Jon Donais used to play in Shadows Fall. I'd take the Padouk one, but there were a couple floating around that had maple bodies and a natural finish. I would do unspeakable things to own one of those guitars.View attachment 124959
Look for a X50Pro in natural finish, they're almost the same guitars, slightly larger body shape.

XC18

Jackson Warrior Sloot
Reaction score
1990/91 Jackson Warrior Pro. It's not even the price, it's finding one of the damn things in the first place, let alone one that hasn't been molested. Saw someone in a Jackson FB group who was about to send his off to get an evertune installed because he didn't like the Floyd :squint:

Masoo2

Reaction score
9ySP7QG.jpg
View attachment 124859
Vapula stuff is golden and that specific 8 string explorer has been a top 5 guitar for me ever since I first saw it.

Production wise, I'll echo the earlier S5470Q WCB and also add the limited-run RG752R WCB that Axe Palace did:

48552277331_ec68fa3162_b.jpg

QyW2a-Rg-E-2CKE7F4crGN54ya0bB-3M6FgNVE3kUKw.jpg

Such an incredible finish.

There's an RGR up on Reverb right now but no wayyyy am I paying anywhere close to $3600 (+$500 shipping) for one of these. That's "just order a custom guitar better suited to my tastes in the same finish" territory price-wise.

SCJR

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Probably a Gretsch Custom Shop Jr Chet Atkins Hollowbody w/ Filtertrons.

Pietjepieter

Contributor
Reaction score
Hmmm this is a good question since I've been fortunate enough to be able to try a ton of guitars.

It's a pretty short list right now:
Strandberg Varberg - unlikely unless they ever offer it outside of the custom shop
View attachment 124995
Damn I forgot how much I like the Varberg! They should make normal model out of it!

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
As a teenager I always wanted the ESP Alexi Laiho with scythe inlays. I ended up buying the Edwards version after being on a waitlist for a year. Made 16 year old me very happy.

My white whale that I’ve been hunting for is the USA made PRS Mark Holcomb Custom 24 in Holcomb Burst.

I bought a core PRS in Charcoal Purple Burst and put SD alpha omegas in it, thinking it would scratch the itch. Ironically I fell so in love with that guitar that it’s making me want the Holcomb even more.
View attachment 124961
As awesome as Mark's Core model signature is/was, I ironically find myself more wanting the limited edition Satin Whale blue or Satin trampas green SE models that came out.

SCJR

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Damn I forgot how much I like the Varberg! They should make normal model out of it!
+ 1

They know it's what places like SSO and others want and it's their biggest, bluest chip.

Nah, l but does feel like they'll never release it. Or wait a couple more years until they've completely cycled us out of their customer base and sell them to the new crop of 20 year olds for $5000-6000 lol.

And I say that as a happy Strandberg owner.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
Would love either of the black or white ESP teles that devin played in his gear whore video back about 15-20 years ago. That and the satin black horizon 7 with cockstock also.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
So I as going to post a nice swirly UV777-MC, but I see that has already been covered. Honestly I don’t have one white-whale guitar.

That said, I’d probably settle for a metallic silver mahogany Jackson King V or ESP DV8 a lá MegaDave, or a Lightning Sky Rhoads RR1T. Alternatively, and as a nod to the house, I could go for a J Custom RG8527. But I also want an original ES-345 in cherry, ideally the best one ever made so that it’s not a dud. But that’s really white whale money, so I’d tolerate a Custom Shop reissue and $50k worth of metal guitars. I mean, if I had to.
There's a Jackson Double Rhoads in silver built by Mike Shannon on Reverb via Chondro Guitars. Please go buy it so I stop looking at it. Thank you.

1990/91 Jackson Warrior Pro. It's not even the price, it's finding one of the damn things in the first place, let alone one that hasn't been molested. Saw someone in a Jackson FB group who was about to send his off to get an evertune installed because he didn't like the Floyd :squint:
There's a used Warrior Custom Shop built like a Jackson Pro, up on reverb. Like above, please buy it so I stop looking at it. Thank you.

Would love either of the black or white ESP teles that devin played in his gear whore video back about 15-20 years ago. That and the satin black horizon 7 with cockstock also.
The one where he said to "practice to be as good as you need to be to play the sounds in your head", and then he did that shred lick, looked at the camera and said "LAME..."? Yeah I might recall that video.... That quote sticks with me for life tho.

mastapimp

Reaction score
This, and I'd love to have my PC 1 back, at bottom, same finish

tntntv3rhntynjt5qmyc.jpg
Ahh yes, the pile 'o skulls. Here's mine I ordered back in '98 on the bench fresh off a refret:

Attachments

• soloist rotated.jpg
    soloist rotated.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 16

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
There's a Jackson Double Rhoads in silver built by Mike Shannon on Reverb via Chondro Guitars. Please go buy it so I stop looking at it. Thank you.

There's a used Warrior Custom Shop built like a Jackson Pro, up on reverb. Like above, please buy it so I stop looking at it. Thank you.

The one where he said to "practice to be as good as you need to be to play the sounds in your head", and then he did that shred lick, looked at the camera and said "LAME..."? Yeah I might recall that video.... That quote sticks with me for life tho.
That is the one. The black one in particular is the real want.