What is your "white whale" guitar?

• Thread starter Wynseun
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Isaapostasied

Reaction score
Guess for me it would have to be 3
Jackson Fusion HSH Model
Caparison Apple Horn 8
And a BC Rich Stealth 7 string with reverse headstock and Floyd.

Decapitated

Loser
Reaction score
IMG_1212.jpeg
This was…however, one recently came up for sale and I passed on it. I asked myself if buying it would make me any happier or practice more or play better than my others…so yeah, I passed. CSB.

carlosguitar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Vigier Shawn Lane 10th anniversary edition. I do have a Vigier Shawn Lane, but the natural one. Only 10 of the anniversary edition produced and in 10 years since I've seen zero for sale second hand.
shawn.jpg

DECEMBER

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My favorite guitar model ever made is the Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic. The original one from around 2000 with the moon & star inlay at the 12th. I had one from 2003-2012. Paid $800 used. Sold it when I was homeless. Biggest regret of my life. But it probably would have gotten destroyed if I had kept it while living in the van.
Didn't have a guitar again until 2021. Got rent assistance for 15 months and got a credit card again (after two prior bankruptcies). Tried to get by with an Epiphone LP Muse... after my only guitar for 9 years was the Gibson, the Epi just didn't satisfy. I bought another Gibson LP Studio Gothic this January for $1370. It had severe fret buzz and really tall and flat frets. Got the frets leveled by one of the best repair shops in Portland and the fret buzz was just as bad as before. They said they're "stumped". So I had to return the guitar. Got refunded for the fret leveling, too.
I've actually bought 6 and returned 5 guitars this year. A new LP Studio. A Studio Gothic. A Gothic 2 (no moon & star inlay, stock EMGs). And 3 LP Special Tribute Ravens. The one I kept is a Raven. Among the returns were a permanent back-bow, a warped neck, a dysfunctional truss rod, MANY high frets, scratchy pots, a very badly cut nut, and one of them reeked so strongly of nasty cologne that it made my whole apartment smell like it and gave me migraines.
I really wanted the original Gothic model again, but having this one for a month I found it to be a bit heavy on my shoulder (I play standing for 4+ hours a day) and the archtop made it unable to take short shaft pots (which came to be a requirement when I added a VMC and EXG to my EMGs, they only come in short shaft). The Raven is lighter because it doesn't have an archtop and it takes short shaft pots. It sounds the same as the Gothic, fits my requirements of: all black, non-glossy LP w/2 humbuckers and 5 control holes. But that moon & star inlay on the Gothic just makes it perfect. It's just the perfect guitar to me. The shape, the look, the feel, the sound.
LP Studio Gothic:Resize_20230217_170010_0460.jpg
LP Special Tribute Raven
Resize_20230429_131322_2389.jpg

Attachments

• Resize_20230429_131322_2389.jpg
    Resize_20230429_131322_2389.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2

keithhagel

Reaction score
Two of em, the boring one and the (I think) more unique one. Of course I'd love to have me a white Les Paul custom so I can never be as good as Randy all over it. But if I had all the money to spend? I'd track down someone, anyone who had a mint Washburn NX-6 just like Jon Donais used to play in Shadows Fall. I'd take the Padouk one, but there were a couple floating around that had maple bodies and a natural finish. I would do unspeakable things to own one of those guitars.61yFBd2Wm1L.jpg

gh0styboi

El Stressperado
Reaction score
An Ibanez UV777. Just can't bring myself to pay over $2k for a used one when I could get a custom Kiesel or Balaguer made to my spec for maybe even a couple hundred less than that.

sell2792

Reaction score
LTD+PH-600MG+2008+%281%29+2.jpeg

AND I missed the reissue. They're out there but GL finding someone selling one...

amlnofenhvp4c2f2glas.png

A PH600 is also on my bucket list. I remember when they were blowing these out for like $500 in 08'/09' (along with the K7) but I was a broke high school senior and couldn't afford one. Now they go for $1.3-2k, which sucks.

ylemp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
As a teenager I always wanted the ESP Alexi Laiho with scythe inlays. I ended up buying the Edwards version after being on a waitlist for a year. Made 16 year old me very happy.

My white whale that I’ve been hunting for is the USA made PRS Mark Holcomb Custom 24 in Holcomb Burst.

I bought a core PRS in Charcoal Purple Burst and put SD alpha omegas in it, thinking it would scratch the itch. Ironically I fell so in love with that guitar that it’s making me want the Holcomb even more.
IMG_6121.jpeg

scrgls

Reaction score
I actually crossed one of them off my list, an original ESP standard Horizon 7 string. Needs some tlc and a possible fret work but people are asking for stupid prices for the original esp logo. That being said, I feel no difference in quality between my EII horizons and the ESP Standard. Other white whales are a couple of ibbys, namely the RGA427z, S5527 lo pro version, ESP or EII Phoenix, EII m-ii-7 FR, schecter usa tele. I used to own two RG7620’s, the blue and vampire kiss and sorely regret selling them so eventually I aim to get them again.

scrgls

Reaction score
I actually crossed one of them off my list, an original ESP standard Horizon 7 string. Needs some tlc and a possible fret work but people are asking for stupid prices for the original esp logo. That being said, I feel no difference in quality between my EII horizons and the ESP Standard. Other white whales are a couple of ibbys, namely the RGA427z, S5527 lo pro version, ESP or EII Phoenix, EII m-ii-7 FR, schecter usa tele. I used to own two RG7620’s, the blue and vampire kiss and sorely regret selling them so eventually I aim to get them again.

I forgot to mention a parker maxxfly 7 and Washburn wm526

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score

EII is the standard series, so it's also the expectation that you should feel no difference in quality between them.

scrgls

Reaction score
EII is the standard series, so it's also the expectation that you should feel no difference in quality between them.
I know, but you have a bunch of elitists saying that there is a difference and that EII were made with cheaper parts and labor etc. truth is I was teenager when these were sold and I wanted one so bad and never gave up my quest for one.