What player did you recently realize is a badass?

• Thread starter Wiltonauer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

neurosis

Reaction score
Billy Corgan has more of a shred background than people give him credit for.

Corgan haș gotten a bad reputation for his interviews and... views. But he's like many of those 90s top 20 bands, great songwriting and great performer. He does not overplay and has a vibe. I love Smashing Pumpkins and I wish that era of rock radio came back. At the same time I have to say the one time I saw them play in Spain (not original lineup) they sounded terrible but I blame the venue and setup for it. oh well...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Corgan haș gotten a bad reputation for his interviews and... views. But he's like many of those 90s top 20 bands, great songwriting and great performer. He does not overplay and has a vibe. I love Smashing Pumpkins and I wish that era of rock radio came back. At the same time I have to say the one time I saw them play in Spain (not original lineup) they sounded terrible but I blame the venue and setup for it. oh well...
I saw Iggy Pop touring with Josh Homme and a bunch of other badass players at the Fox Theatre in Detroit. It was the single worst sounding concert I've ever been to, there was a mass exodus about 30 minutes in. That sound tech shoulda been lynched. To add insult to injury, we passed on Melvins, Melt Banana, and Napalm Death all on the same bill to go see that shit.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Interesting phrasing and chromatic licks can go a long way when they're played at lightspeed. I like arpeggios and tasteful bends, but discovering the "outside" stuff really opened a lot of musical doors for me.

Also forgot to add Holdsworth in there. The alien of the bunch.
What amazes me the most is how they can play a slower phrase that seems to be going nowhere, but then the last couple of notes work as a punchline, very carefully chosen and played at the right time, and it just pulls everything together.

neurosis

Reaction score
I saw Iggy Pop touring with Josh Homme and a bunch of other badass players at the Fox Theatre in Detroit. It was the single worst sounding concert I've ever been to, there was a mass exodus about 30 minutes in. That sound tech shoulda been lynched. To add insult to injury, we passed on Melvins, Melt Banana, and Napalm Death all on the same bill to go see that shit.
That sucks. That said, my only opportunity seeing the Melvins they started earlier unannounced. We only got to watch them play four songs and it was so loud that you could barely discern what they were playing. I messaged to complain on MySpace and they said the issue was with the promoter. I guess sometimes we just lose. I also missed Melt Banana in RI but a friend got me a venial so that didn't hurt so bad :D

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
That sucks. That said, my only opportunity seeing the Melvins they started earlier unannounced. We only got to watch them play four songs and it was so loud that you could barely discern what they were playing. I messaged to complain on MySpace and they said the issue was with the promoter. I guess sometimes we just lose. I also missed Melt Banana in RI but a friend got me a venial so that didn't hurt so bad :D
That sounds about right, when I saw them I didn't bring ear plugs and had to listen from the next room. At least it was a pizza pub so I got to relax in a booth with pizza and enjoy live Melvins at a reasonable volume.

neurosis

Reaction score
That sounds about right, when I saw them I didn't bring ear plugs and had to listen from the next room. At least it was a pizza pub so I got to relax in a booth with pizza and enjoy live Melvins at a reasonable volume.
haha... somehow eating while watching Melvins sounds like a match. Deep fried anything would have worked, too. 👽

Festivus

Reaction score
For me, Marshall Harrison. I understand that he can be a somewhat polarizing figure but I now regard him as a genuine eccentric genius of the guitar.

He is capable of doing incredible and inspirational things on the guitar that very few others can do, and yet seems to me ambivalent about what has usually been a priority for guitarists: making high quality recordings of his own compositions. He seems to have settled on something that he is comfortable with: weekly Youtube livestreams - Big Gulp of Coke Zero never far from hand, and a loyalty to recording both his voice and his guitar with a rudimentary room microphone. That is the discipline.

I know some people have criticised him as being a 'guitar athlete' with not much musical sense but I'm not sure about this. If he had been a bit older he would have coincided with the 'Shrapnel Era' and - with some guidance - could have made a legendary guitar album, up there with Tony Macalpine's 'Maximum Security' and Vinnie Moore's 'Mind's Eye'.

The pantheons of science contain many individuals who achieved great things despite not necessarily fulfilling all the criteria that others might have expected or hoped from them, and I think Marshall is a musical version of this.

Attachments

• marshall-harrison.jpg
    marshall-harrison.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 16

Wildebeest

Reaction score
Marshall is one of the GOATs of technique IMO. I miss when he did very late-night streams.

B.M.F.

Blasphemy Made Flesh
Contributor
Reaction score
41384ad426a74795b92d696f38bb30ee.jpg
The older I get, the more I realize how good George Lynch actually is. Been on a huge Dokken and George Lynch kick lately.

You know he can shred your face off with the craziest unorthodox exotic licks, but then he can turn around and lay down a solo that makes you well up like “Alone Again”. And nobody attacks the guitar harder and more aggressively, aside from SRV and Beck, who too sounded pissed off when they were playing majority of the time. Lynch is a living legend.

Last edited:

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
My man Yamandu is probably one of the best there is. This man is INTENSE and a complete beast. Love how emotive he can be while having chops as clean as is humanly possible. The Brazilian 7 string classical is also very fitting for this forum.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Corgan's gone off the deep end a bit lately, but he was one of the most immediately recognizable players of his era, for sure. By dumb luck, the first time I heard the first Zwan solo was turning my car on and having the radio come on juuuuust before the start of the solo on their lead single, and inside the time it took for the first note to sound, being SURE it was Corgan's new band. He was actually a pretty big influence on me, and of course his Siamese Dream guitar tone was fucking HUGE, and "Cherub Rock" is easily one of the best riffs to come out of the grunge era.

*dons flame-proof suit*

Now, if you want to talk about guitarists who are severely underappreciated and much better than their reputations would have you believe...

...Jack White, of the White Stripes, is actually a pretty decent slide player.

No Derek Trucks, sure, but this is way better than someone who'd just heard "Seven Nation Army" (which, very ironically, despite everyone I've ever seen playing this playing it with power chords, I'm pretty sure that's ALSO a slide guitar riff, lol) would expect, I think.

JSanta

Reaction score
You could probably toss up any of the Gypsy jazz players, but Stephane Wrembel is someone who continually impresses me not only with his sheer technical ability, but also his sense of melody, harmony, and rhythm. Easily my favorite musician today.

neurosis

Reaction score
inside the time it took for the first note to sound, being SURE it was Corgan's new band.
instantly recognizable player, agree.
Jack White used to irritate me but eventually he grew on me. He has some great tunes and a lot of star power once he's on stage.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
instantly recognizable player, agree.
Jack White used to irritate me but eventually he grew on me. He has some great tunes and a lot of star power once he's on stage.
Same. I think Jack White could cut a hell of a blues record if he wanted to. He just seems to have no interest.

BenjaminW

Reaction score
I've loved Turn Up the Radio from GTA Vice City from when I was younger, but I didn't really realize how badass Steve Lynch from Autograph is. Just a straight up monster when it comes to tapping.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
While slightly on the subject of Jack White; he said Yoyoyoshie from Otoboke Beaver is someone you want to side with during an apocalypse. He's right.

She's an absolute maniac. Running around, crowd surfing while copping a kick to the face, and still doesn't miss a beat. And in the midst of all the chaos, she can actually play when the songs call for it. I saw them live last year and they destroyed the building.

Yeah most of you will hate this band. :lol: