What's the advantage of ordering a custom shop guitar through a dealer (vs direct)?

• Thread starter Hollowway
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I was under the impression that for many brands you have to order a custom guitar through a dealer.

I have had fantastic experiences with ordering through two dealers; Matt's Music, and Rainbow Guitars (Scott was a treasure, RIP). I've had good experiences buying in-stock from Axe Palace. However, requests for repairs or special orders (production models and customs) from AP went unanswered.

I have my opinions about these dealers and a few others. I'll just say they're good for different reasons, and good at different things. They also have different "attitudes" when it comes to customer service.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I was under the impression that for many brands you have to order a custom guitar through a dealer.

I have had fantastic experiences with ordering through two dealers; Matt's Music, and Rainbow Guitars (Scott was a treasure, RIP). I've had good experiences buying in-stock from Axe Palace. However, requests for repairs or special orders (production models and customs) from AP went unanswered.

I have my opinions about these dealers and a few others. I'll just say they're good for different reasons, and good at different things. They also have different "attitudes" when it comes to customer service.
Yeah, I think with many companies you don't have a choice. But with others, you do. Given everything I've seen, a smaller shop might be able to give you more attention. But, depending on the attitude of the person, they might not give you the best customer service. The smaller shops are going to try to talk you out of returns, refunds, etc., as well. The bigger dealers can absorb a return way easier. I think, in the large scheme of things, a bigger dealer is more likely to be able to deliver on something. The single-man shops are still one illness or accident (financial or physical) away from you losing a deposit, etc.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Yeah, I think with many companies you don't have a choice. But with others, you do. Given everything I've seen, a smaller shop might be able to give you more attention. But, depending on the attitude of the person, they might not give you the best customer service. The smaller shops are going to try to talk you out of returns, refunds, etc., as well. The bigger dealers can absorb a return way easier. I think, in the large scheme of things, a bigger dealer is more likely to be able to deliver on something. The single-man shops are still one illness or accident (financial or physical) away from you losing a deposit, etc.
When it comes to making sure you get what you want in 2023, it might be hard to beat just firing up the Sweetwater website.

Which is sad because I liked some of the dealers I've worked with in the past. And wanting to support small businesses, etc.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
When it comes to making sure you get what you want in 2023, it might be hard to beat just firing up the Sweetwater website.

Which is sad because I liked some of the dealers I've worked with in the past. And wanting to support small businesses, etc.
I want to support small businesses, but the small business don't want to support me. :lol: I've lost far too much money and time in the customs market to even consider anything with a build time attached to it. I totally agree with everything you said.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There's a difference between a hole in the wall shop that scrapes by, and some of the larger independent shops. :2c:

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
The hardest part about smaller shops is how unorganized some of them can be (probably why randall's shop suffered). A hodge podge of weird ways to contact them from facebook messenger, email, texting. Hard to keep track of things.

I have a google spreadsheet of all my guitars and ones on order with how to contact the dealers that I prepared for my wife in case something happens to me so she can track down where my money is held and all that as I've got many thousands of dollars of deposits with axe palace and chondro out.