Who inspired you to play 7-stringers??

• Thread starter s_k_mullins
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Deanxpv

Reaction score
For me, I had been wanting a 7 string for a while but kind of gave up on the idea. Then I kept listening to All Shall Perish and their stuff with Chris Storey. Which led me to Rusty Cooley. And I started listening to Megadeth before any other metal so obviously Broderick. Ben Orum of ASP as well. The guys from After The Burial but they mainly play 8's now. So My list would be:
Chris Storey
Chris Broderick
Rusty Cooley
Muhammed Suicmez
Ben Orum
Jeff Loomis
Chuck Shuldiner
And....
Nergal (guy from Behemoth)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Valserp

Only plays 1 string
Reaction score
Actually, I believe it was this forum. I initially only visited the "Standard guitars" section, but then you 7-string bastards finally got under my skin. Argh! :)

Murmel

Reaction score
Matt Heafy from Trivium. When I saw his asian face, together with a Rising Sun guitar and awesome vocals. I couldn't resist.
Still saving up for one, my birthday is in less than a month and it's my turn to get the expensive gifts now ;)

And no, I'm absolutely not getting his signature. Not only do I hate Dean, but playing a signature makes you look like a complete fanboy.It does look gorgeous though, part from the hideous headstock.

LLink2411

Banned
Reaction score
My favorite band is Dark Tranquillity and I listen to quite a bit of Melodic Death Metal, so I like having the low B.

Also, I like using the high-E string.

A 7-string was the answer.

chucknorrishred

Reaction score
besides the convenience and how badass it looks:

http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/9/9/18/f_ihsahn2m_07d4c6b.jpg&srv=img35

http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/8/7/5/f_EmperorIhsam_7f57964.jpg&srv=img39

"Arise! Our Ancient Gollum! Defeat these enemies!"
Azagthoth and Ihsahn/Samoth for sure
:agreed:

always wanted to practice scales with a 7, but def cannibal corpse live 2001 dvd and morbid angels gateway album

but mainly wanting to scale rape on a 7, now its an 8 but I'll wait for an awesome 8

m4rK

Reaction score
Elijah Blue from Deadsy even tho he usually just plays a six strung like a seven. I've been doing the same for years but had to step it up this year!:hbang:

l_8db2120ec5c56b34a1a8cec64d0e6892.jpg

billybobjoedon

Reaction score
Korn and Fear Factory are probably the two bands who introduced me to seven strings, but that was early on in my guitar playing, before I really knew the advantage of sevens. Then when I was 14 I started taking lessons from Rusty Cooley, and discovered Meshuggah around the same time, and he/they certainly opened my eyes further, as did other bands and players (Vai, Petrucci, All Shall Perish, etc.). A few months later I decided I had to have one and I've been hooked ever since. When I pick up a six it just feels so bare and limiting:/ and not to mention tiny haha

failshredder

hammer every cock
Reaction score
Asshole, you took lessons with Rusty Cooley?

I wish I lived down there. I've considered spending a couple of weeks down there just for that.

Yeah, Rusty Cooley was what got me into 7s. And keeps doing it.

LamaSabachthani

Reaction score
This man inspired me, I'd be very surprised if he hasnt had a hand in a good portion of members here taking up 7s...

Vai_UVMC_07.jpg

That swirl guitar is probably one of my all time favorites, ever. I would very probably heavily consider cold-blooded murder to get my hands on one...

And passion and warfare? Easily one of the greatest instrumental albums ever made, IMHO. Absolutely brilliant.

LamaSabachthani

Reaction score
And this guy keeps me going because hes doing something INTRESTING with a 7 string and isnt Balls to the wall the whole time:
dobles.jpg

NO discussion about the last one please, last time i intiated that the thread on it got locked.

Meshuggah gets a mention, but it was more so i could jam them with my mates hahah.

To be honest, and i understand that Korn was a big influence here to a lot of people, but they were a big obstacle with me. You know what its like when you hear something that puts you off and you nevcer get over it... kinda like most people an jazz hahaha. Because of them i couldnt see potential in a 7th string... l learnt the error of my ways :fawk:

Peace
CD

I'm curious... haha who is he? I can't say I recognize the face...

detoxed

Say what?!?
Reaction score
Cazares was my main inspiration for playing a 7. Seeing Fear factory live made me want a 7 even more (not to mention an 8). Finally got my rg7321 recently. There was a local band called Pain After Death that opened for Fear factory that night that also used ibby 7s that got me even more interested.

I've also liked listening to Vai, Petrucci, Nevermore, etc etc...

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
I was introduced to the 7 by Vai's passion and warfare (ofcourse). a few years later, being just a kid by the age of 13 at the time, Korn really got me into 7's. At age 17 I got my first 7 (10 years ago). Now I've outgrown the whole juvenile Korn thing, but Im glad my 7 facilitates my every need in metal.

Last edited:

munky27

steabag27
Reaction score
personally I just wanted to be able to play really low while having a standard tuned guitar. but my main influences after i picked it up where definitely bands like whitechapel, suicide silence and of course korn. I've just always loved going low and having my brains smashed out by something heavy, especially stuff that grooves like keith merrow and korn.

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
Dream Theater planted the seed. I was in WalMart, and saw the video for "Lie" playing in the music section. I've been smitten with the black & green Universe since. A few years later, Korn sealed the deal.