Why are you mad right now?

• Thread starter Faine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
My work made very clear a while back that they want to be very strict about following the call-in policy for sick time etc. This includes any request to work from home.
Said policy is to reach out to your direct report ASAP and inform them of your scheduled tasks, meetings, etc for the day and receive approval. No approval, you better show up.
Recently, a new position was created for me that reports directly to the CEO. He's kind of an eccentric guy. This means he's nigh-impossible to reliably get ahold of.

So this morning I woke up feeling not excellent. I'm in IT though and can easily do my whole job remote and I'm not feeling bad enough to take the whole day off, so I ping him about 2 hours before my day starts to see if he'd mind if I worked from home today on the off chance I was coming down with something. He's out of town right now so he's 2 hours ahead; in my mind, no reason he shouldn't see the message. You know; sticking to the policy.

Crickets.
I get ready and head out to work once the time rolls around where I'd need to leave to get there on time.
And of course I get pulled over and get a ticket on my way into the office. So I ping him again to let him know I'm going to be late and why; and this time, I get a response right away.
"That sucks."

Yeah. Yeah it does suck.
Yeah that's ground for looking for a new job. Everything in that post is shit and I'm sorry.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
I'm so fucking tired. Just need this house to be finished and listed and sold. So far the first of my 2 days off has been a work day at the house, and tomorrow is shaping up to be the same thing. Trading in one work for another on my days off; the American Dream.

I mean, I suppose it kind of is. Especially with how the market is now; whenever the never-ending cascade of obnoxious and expensive home repairs get me down I try to remind myself that at least I'm fortunate enough to own and even be in that position in the first place. Helps sometimes. I feel ya though man days like that are such a buzzkill. At least it'll be sweet when it's over.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I mean, I suppose it kind of is. Especially with how the market is now; whenever the never-ending cascade of obnoxious and expensive home repairs get me down I try to remind myself that at least I'm fortunate enough to own and even be in that position in the first place. Helps sometimes. I feel ya though man days like that are such a buzzkill. At least it'll be sweet when it's over.
I recognise that It's for sure a privileged position to be inaand I do count myself lucky, but yeah. Tired.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Almost got fired today over an user's incident ticket, so that's a blast. Probably won't be finishing my cabinet for a few weeks at least to make sure I'm not getting let go.

Fuck this week.

Last edited:

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever brought a car to have tires changed where they actually just put the tires on that I asked for. It's always an upsell or a complication. I tried to drop of my car this morning to have tires swapped because I've been lazy and it wasn't done yet, and there's also an unrelated minor recall to do at the same time. I know my summer tires aren't new, but they had enough tread for my light driving for one more summer, it was at least well above the little tread bar thingie. Soooo of course they call and say they're garbage tires and refused to put them on, citing "a metal thing has come out", which he couldn't explain very well because of the language barrier. Does he mean some kind of steel bands in the tire are broken? He's probably right, but it's frustrating that swapping tires never ends up being straightforward.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
I bought a laminate floor cutter and the goddamn thing is missing some screws, so I can't even use it. Now I get to waste my time returning it and buying one from a different store

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Not mad, exactly, but Ace Frehley has been losing a lot of weight lately apparently. Not good given his history.

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
I was stupid and tried to update the iLok license manager and then it just failed and uninstalled the whole fucking software. Managed to found some old ass installer and reinstalled it but now Cubase won't recognize most of the plugins. I guess W7 is finally done when it comes to audio stuff but I'm still not ready to let go... 😭

Edit: NEVERMIND! Took some good old fashion troubleshooting but I got it working again. :lol::fawk:

Last edited:

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
I've been patching the same snot-welded pipe joint between my Ford escapes cat converter and muffler since 2018. It's been a good long run of passing state vehicle inspection with it coated in versatech muffler weld all these years. Just passed inspection a couple weeks ago actually.

The weld line finally fully gave out today and my old car sounds like a lawnmower without a muffler now.

I'm mad but also kind of impressed It's lasted this long.

Next steps ahead: get a flex pipe, pipe expander, clamps and fix it as cheaply as possible. Laying on my back in the driveway swearing out loud is free so that's a good start.