Why has Periphery had more commercial success than Monuments/Tesseract/Etc?

• Thread starter Taylord
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
Really? How so?

Didn't he really push scarlet for you guys? I remember being in high school in Australia and after that had come out a lot more people knew who you guys were.

But even in general isn't that the trade off for label, less cash for the artist more into promo.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bulb

Reaction score
Didn't he really push scarlet for you guys? I remember being in high school in Australia and after that had come out a lot more people knew who you guys were.

But even in general isn't that the trade off for label, less cash for the artist more into promo.
No, Ash never really put any money into much for us. He was kinda hands off in general with the only exception being the radio edit of Alpha as he was pushing for radio play, which it got, and then was disappointed because we didn’t write or have any songs that could be easily edited into Radio appropriate songs.

In fact, he was so hands off, it actually inspired and empowered us to start 3Dot Recordings. So yeah, not sure where you got your info haha

EDIT: Oh he did show solidarity and say he was proud of us when we got the Grammy nom. But that was also kinda hilarious because he was super disappointed with the album when we turned it in, claiming it “didn’t have any songs.” The labels would only ever hear our albums once they were mastered and turned in for production/distro, it kept the writing sacred.

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
No, Ash never really put any money into much for us. He was kinda hands off in general with the only exception being the radio edit of Alpha as he was pushing for radio play, which it got, and then was disappointed because we didn’t write or have any songs that could be easily edited into Radio appropriate songs.

In fact, he was so hands off, it actually inspired and empowered us to start 3Dot Recordings. So yeah, not sure where you got your info haha

EDIT: Oh he did show solidarity and say he was proud of us when we got the Grammy nom. But that was also kinda hilarious because he was super disappointed with the album when we turned it in, claiming it “didn’t have any songs.” The labels would only ever hear our albums once they were mastered and turned in for production/distro, it kept the writing sacred.

Wild, thanks for the clarification! So was summerian just helpful for distro in the US then?

I've read about Ash wanting more straight ahead hits from you guys when you were signed so I assumed he must of been working hard to promote your "hits" and would of done so into the future. A bit of me reading too much into things.

At least you're having fun with it

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I think EVs are very cool, but we are still in the early days, the infrastructure isn't quite there yet, and the limitations of the batteries (weight, capacity, charge time) still are holding the full potential of them back. Also there seems to be some discussion around the mining of materials for the batteries as well as the disposal, to where I don't know if currently it's a net benefit. However I can see that getting addressed over time as well. It's definitely the last days of the ICE, and as such I plan on enjoying those (especially the atmospheric ones) while I still can.

EVs will likely be the way forward, there are alternate fuels being explored, but EVs seem to be firmly in the lead as it stands, and they make for some very quick cars. Unfortunately, they aren't generally exciting cars to drive aside from the insane acceleration party trick which a lot of them share. Even with the low center of gravity, they tend to be very heavy, and that always compromises the sportiness and handling in the corners. Porsche has had a good attempt at them with the Taycan (which I have yet to drive) but it seems like the praise is always in the relative box of being an EV.

Anyways those are my thoughts on the matter. Do you guys agree/disagree?
I really don't think EVs are the right direction. I think Toyota has it right with hydrogen fuel cell cars. If they were getting the development resources of battery technology I think they'd be coming out ahead on balance. They certainly offer some very ingesting opportunities for grid, storage and production.

That said, I think EVs will be the car of the future regardless of whether they're the best option. We're just too far down that path already to get the public to accept another alternative engine.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
I really don't think EVs are the right direction. I think Toyota has it right with hydrogen fuel cell cars. If they were getting the development resources of battery technology I think they'd be coming out ahead on balance. They certainly offer some very ingesting opportunities for grid, storage and production.

That said, I think EVs will be the car of the future regardless of whether they're the best option. We're just too far down that path already to get the public to accept another alternative engine.
Honestly the core issue with hydrogen is producing the hydrogen within a vehicle. You still need another energy source to dissociate the hydrogen gas, which basically means batteries or another fuel source to catalyze the process. Breaking those hydrogen bonds is difficult in terms of energy requirements, especially if you're going to use it to power an electric motor anyways. Straight EV just removes that step from the process tbh.
As far as EV batteries, there are some companies working on solid state batteries which should be gamechangers if they can reliably produce them (faster charge/more efficient, less electrolyte build up, much less flammable, less environmental impact, lower weight/smaller size). I know Volkswagen has a substantial contract lined up with one of the solid state battery companies already.
Honestly if solid state batteries take off, the supercar EV will become even more viable. Between the extreme torque ev motors can generate, the lighter weight and greater efficiency, we could see some really insane stuff in the future.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score

Naw, hydrogen fuel cells are great, but it's all bullshit for personal vehicles. Hydrogen is exceptionally difficult to store, especially on small scales. I work with hydrogen and fuel cells on a daily basis, and I wish I could see an application like this, but all of the promises I've heard are based on rubbish, so it really strongly seems like it'll never be practical.

Maybe for trains or something, which are far more environmentally friendly and cost effective than cars anyway.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Honestly the core issue with hydrogen is producing the hydrogen within a vehicle. You still need another energy source to dissociate the hydrogen gas, which basically means batteries or another fuel source to catalyze the process. Breaking those hydrogen bonds is difficult in terms of energy requirements, especially if you're going to use it to power an electric motor anyways. Straight EV just removes that step from the process tbh.
As far as EV batteries, there are some companies working on solid state batteries which should be gamechangers if they can reliably produce them (faster charge/more efficient, less electrolyte build up, much less flammable, less environmental impact, lower weight/smaller size). I know Volkswagen has a substantial contract lined up with one of the solid state battery companies already.
Honestly if solid state batteries take off, the supercar EV will become even more viable. Between the extreme torque ev motors can generate, the lighter weight and greater efficiency, we could see some really insane stuff in the future.
I'm sceptical because the battery revolution has been "just around the corner" for so long now, when Mirais are now getting 500 miles on a tank.

davemeistro

Reaction score
I really don't think EVs are the right direction.

I'll be that asshole hippie and one-up this by saying I really don't think investing in cars as personal vehicles is the right direction. Ignoring the whole battery sourcing debate for a second, non-exhaust emissions (tire/brake/road wear, tiny lil dust particles) are a huge source of pollution that is currently completely unregulated.

If by magic, every car turned into an electric car overnight, cities would still be clogged with traffic, and non-exhaust emissions would still harm the environment and our health. Literally millions of people every year would still die in traffic 'accidents' which have been completely normalized and accepted in our society, and are actually encouraged by the way our roads are designed, as engineers typically prioritize vehicle speeds/throughput rather than safety for people walking and biking, or making transit/biking/walking a practical means to get around.

Rather than focus on figuring out how to re-invent the very thing that kills millions and straight-up ruins cities, I believe we should be focusing on developing hardcore infrastructure to make taking public transit, biking, and walking to places the easiest and fastest choice, rather than driving.

And to stay on topic, clearly the reason why Periphery has had more success than its peers is because losers like us are willing to maintain a decade-old Periphery megathread with 776 pages, which is like, one million more than Monuments/Tesseract/etc.

slan

Reaction score
Rather than focus on figuring out how to re-invent the very thing that kills millions and straight-up ruins cities, I believe we should be focusing on developing hardcore infrastructure to make taking public transit, biking, and walking to places the easiest and fastest choice, rather than driving.

The urban planner in me loves this take. I still have a soft spot for motorcycles, though.

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
I skipped a lot of pages and not trying to take anything away from Periphery but they have also made way more albums than the other groups. More chances to make fans with more albums.

Also their studio diary videos are fun remind me of the old school DVDs bands used to release like Thrice and Blink 182 and others.

And also Monuments has had big issues trying to tour over in North America.

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
If I love periphery but find most other “Djent” to be pretty silly, who should I check out?

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
If I love periphery but find most other “Djent” to be pretty silly, who should I check out?

If you love Periphery, maybe you could check out some Pussycat Dolls or Wilson Phillips. We don't want you to have to move the bar too quickly.

X1X

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I hear Morgan Wallen's star is on the rise

duffbeer33

Reaction score
I'll throw in my two cents on the OP's question, from the standpoint of someone who wasn't on these forums a decade ago. I heard Icarus Lives on Sirius Liquid Metal sometime in 2010, and the overall sound and mix of that intro riff just pulled me in. I recall being a little confused by the vocals at the time, like they didn't fit or something, but I was totally intrigued by the instrumentals and enjoyed the singing more and more over time. Which led me to discover bulb's solo work, these forums, and then later all the other related artists (I love monuments and volumes, as well). So I'd say that whatever tactics led to getting airplay on Sirius back then were a key marketing win.

And who knows, if I hadn't heard it on Sirius, maybe I wouldn't be here on these forums watching people overthink guitar pickup choices or complain incessantly about bands that they don't like.