Wintersun's Groundhog's Day Thread

• Thread starter jvms
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
If Jaari is using crowd funding money and album sales, what exactly is nuclear blast's relationship with the band now? What is the label doing that warrants wintersun staying with them and vice-versa?

Good question. I would bet he paid off his obligations to them with the crowdfunding money and they are on somewhat stable terms to the extent NB isn't getting reimbursed at Jari's own discretion. Something like, yea give it to us and we'll distro but we're taking our cut and paying you. Something like that I would bet, or NB is one of those not-so-rare-anymore businesses who need to step in shit twice to figure out it stinks. Who knows.

I will say props to that one guy in here who was saying the album would come out. He seems to have been correct on that point. Doesn't make the whole thing on the level of course, but at least Jari's not completely fucking over the people who cared at all. Small miracles.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ArtDecade

Barking Pumpkin
Reaction score
david-tennant-single-father.gif

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
If Jaari is using crowd funding money and album sales, what exactly is nuclear blast's relationship with the band now? What is the label doing that warrants wintersun staying with them and vice-versa?

I guess Jari/WS only sells the digital PACKAGE™, so NB's part in the whole thing is printing and selling the physical albums?

Velokki

GAS station
Reaction score
I think the artwork looks like some 8th grader's Photoshop work. But especially the Wintersun logo - wtf?

This is what you end up with when you have to make everything yourself. You end up with a shitty mix and cringy artwork.

Why couldn't Jari use like 5-10K of their crowdfunding money for a good mix and 2-5K for great artwork to accompany the release?
P.S. And no, of course I haven't heard the music yet. It doesn't matter, everyone knows the mix is gonna suck :D

ArtDecade

Barking Pumpkin
Reaction score
I think the artwork looks like some 8th grader's Photoshop work. But especially the Wintersun logo - wtf?

This is what you end up with when you have to make everything yourself. You end up with a shitty mix and cringy artwork.

Why couldn't Jari use like 5-10K of their crowdfunding money for a good mix and 2-5K for great artwork to accompany the release?
P.S. And no, of course I haven't heard the music yet. It doesn't matter, everyone knows the mix is gonna suck :D
I always figured he was spending all that cash on hookers and blow rather than re-investing it back in the band.

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score

Track list and artwork announced. Praying that One With the Shadows is a more concise track and not just a very long interlude

I remember seeing this art in 2012. It's definitely a leftover element from the Time I release material. I guess Jari didn't want to hire Cameron Gray again? but also the TIME PACKAGE artwork is 1000x better & more stylistically appropriate (compared to any of the art Cameron did for them tbh, his style feels very dated now) so chalk this up as more baffling Jari logic

Metropolis

Reaction score
Time II cover is Cameron Gray's artwork, booklet and package cover is by Gyula Havancsák... and these are definetly the cheesy pseudo-east-asian-samurai-fantasy-type of thing, Jari has been watching too much action fantasy movies which were made in Hong Kong :lol: Though it's fully expected and acceptable if you listen to a band called Wintersun. There is really no fun in always proving somehow how "adult" and "grown up" or "people of taste" you are.

Mix will be GYYD because it has THE RIGHT SOUND. I can't wait to have TIME PACKAGE and all those cheesy images on my screen in 5K resolution.

It's almost starting to look as if "people with taste" has never been the target audience here.

Well, some of these guys mostly listen to Winger and other bands who looked like group of hookers in the 80's, so there's that. I see this combination in this sub genre of metal just as it's own stylistical choice which somehow combines into this thematic setting or ambience. It lives in it's own compartment just like any other niche. In the end if all this artistic nonsense somehow ties with the music I'm hearing it's all good to me, and to be honest I always tend to concentrate more to the musical side of things.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Honestly if ever there was a post that was going to convince me you actually are Jari, this might be the one. You have an answer for everything, you know what movies he's watching, you even type things using unnecessary ALL CAPS like he does.

If you're not Jari, your obsession with the band might be unhealthy.