Your new musical avenues.

• Thread starter GuitaristOfHell
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GuitaristOfHell

The Optimist Prime.
Reaction score
What's everyone currently playing more of?
I'll post some songs in the style I'm doing more these days.

More acoustic stuff.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm currently on track towards actually being an average keyboard player. Found this lesson series by JR which was exactly what I needed to get further:

In conjunction with that I'm really branching out using Kontakt/Play instruments as a big chunk of my band's music, especially orchestral stuff. Just learning all the different traditions of orchestrating and what all those italian words mean etc. :)

Also got a YRG for this purpose:
YRG_Radius.jpg

Brodessa

Like a Lion.
Reaction score
Been absolutely dying to write and play Black Metal. To collaborate with someone.
The coldness, the bitter passion and power. I have been returning to it quite a lot.
But as my mood has been quite apathetic, a lot of my playing has also incorporated Shoegaze and Post-Rock elements, usually a bit darker in tone.
Some of what has been influencing me below..

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
I've been slowly morphing into a country player. I've been focusing on banjo, accordion and pedal steel, I'm now in two projects with a country/bluegrass bent, and most of my writing lately has been in that vein as well. Now I just need to finish building my B-bender Tele and pick up my second pedal steel, and spend a little time really learning how to play and write electric country guitar.

Local Astronaut
Reaction score
I used to play loads of prog and death metal. Lately I've been going ambient. Love it. My skills are diminishing at an alarming rate, but I keep giving myself goosebumps from awesome ambiance and the goosebumps are the best feeling.

Yousef

Reaction score
I was inspired by CHON to switch my amp over to clean and I've been writing a ton of material since then. It has opened up my creativity in a whole new way and I'm really enjoying it.

Rizzo

Reaction score
Listening-wise, I'm getting into HC punk on one hand and atmospheric stuff on the other. Getting back to post-rockish stuff too.

Playing wise, I don't care that much about mere technique anymore (or speed, in better words). I'd like to learn some flamenco and-or jazz, and I'm more oriented towards atmospheric stuff for the rest as I said above.

Aion

Reaction score
I haven't really changed what I'm listening to, but I've changed how I've listened. Focusing mostly on my favorite bands that either have a bunch of members or use a lot of overdubbing to figure out how they tend to orchestrate their music.

steveyraff

Reaction score
This last year or so I've been refusing to look for a pick when I am playing guitar around the house. For someone who has played guitar for about 18 years - my finger picking is just embarrassingly poor. I mean, I see novice beginner guitarists finger pick better.

Happy to report that I now even have a self wrote song which my band plays live, where for the first time I put my plectrum down. Feels good to begin to accomplish something!

starslight

Gimme that wheat!
Reaction score
Lots of Yngwie and Eric Johnson-type stuff from Troy Grady's Cracking the Code series. Fascinating how different those guys sound and yet how similarly to each other they play.

Dayn

Reaction score
Shred, mostly. Something like the past 12 or 18 months I've rarely played guitar. Now and again, but lucky to do it once a month.

It took a little while to warm up, but these long breaks between playing... seem to have improved my technique? I guess it's because given the length of time I've gone without playing, I can objectively evaluate my technique each time I pick my guitar up and make changes, because it's not so ingrained anymore.

blaaargh

Git Fuuuuuuuuuuucked
Reaction score
Started playing in a powerviolence band a couple months ago, and I gotta say it's a lot different than anything I've played before. I normally tend to use a lot of big fancy chords, and playing nothing but relatively simple power chord riffs while still keeping it interesting was a bit of a challenge at first. I'm also starting a beatdown/slam side project and really trying to focus on groove for that. Should be a lot of fun

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
I'm supposed to be writing metal but everything I come up with these days is mellow clean tappy shit :lol:

GuitaristOfHell

The Optimist Prime.
Reaction score
I've been slowly morphing into a country player. I've been focusing on banjo, accordion and pedal steel, I'm now in two projects with a country/bluegrass bent, and most of my writing lately has been in that vein as well. Now I just need to finish building my B-bender Tele and pick up my second pedal steel, and spend a little time really learning how to play and write electric country guitar.

Sweet man. Keep sharing everyone, this is turning into a cool thread.

Lifestalker

Reaction score
I plan on delving more into classical on guitar. I've loved it since freshman year when our music class went to watch Tchaikovsky. However, my technique isn't quite that proficient...yet.

I too am getting more into clean, lightly overdriven tones. I've also been messing with ambience/effects since I got my Axe Fx. The Axe Fx alone has inspired me to do more stylistically with my playing, whether it be in the same genre group or not.

Der JD

Reaction score
Lately I've been doing more on acoustic, specifically bluegrass and fingerstyle blues. Also have been working on my blues chops on electric.

I've always been a metalhead, always will be. However, there are other styles I enjoy playing. I recently kind of hit a plateau in metal. A point at which I didn't really have much interest and didn't feel like putting in the effort to progress any further. I still play plenty of metal. I'm just not feeling like working on improving my metal skills right now. I'm sure that will pass with time.

Something I really like about blues and bluegrass is that there's a lot of improvisation involved. You generally have a simple underlying structure with a lot of freedom to improvise over the top. That appeals to me since I've always really enjoyed improvisation...probably more than anything else.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Since joining my bossa/jazz trio, my singer's been getting me into a bunch of Japanese contemporary jazz/lounge bands. Namely Ego-Wrappin and Orange Pekoe:

And my bassist has been getting me into Jun Shibata, more adult contemporary jazz/pop:

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
Ego Wrappin is pretty good, but you should check out Jill-Decoy Association.