A Transgender Metalhead has won a seat in the House of Representatives in Virginia

• Thread starter tacotiklah
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, without conflict, there's no interesting story. I think where it gets weird, though, is where the naysayers seem to be acting out their role as one-dimensional caricatures of the right, in this particular case.

You could post this OP and someone might come in and say "It sucks because I disagree with the platform on which this candidate ran," but, instead, it came off as "It sucks because I don't even know anything about this particular candidate's platform, nor the platform of the opponent, but I'm assuming that no one else knew either, so therefore it's bad!" Which could further be paraphrased into a cartoony "Grumble grumble get off my lawn nothing's no damn good anymore like the good old days grumble!" to the most casual readers.

But this could have been a truly interesting conversation, had it been someone who came in here to naysay and actually gave a damn about any of the supported facts.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Unleash The Fury

Reaction score
Yeah, without conflict, there's no interesting story. I think where it gets weird, though, is where the naysayers seem to be acting out their role as one-dimensional caricatures of the right, in this particular case.

You could post this OP and someone might come in and say "It sucks because I disagree with the platform on which this candidate ran," but, instead, it came off as "It sucks because I don't even know anything about this particular candidate's platform, nor the platform of the opponent, but I'm assuming that no one else knew either, so therefore it's bad!" Which could further be paraphrased into a cartoony "Grumble grumble get off my lawn nothing's no damn good anymore like the good old days grumble!" to the most casual readers.

But this could have been a truly interesting conversation, had it been someone who came in here to naysay and actually gave a damn about any of the supported facts.
Again though, the sole reason this victory made the news, is strictly because this person is transgender.................when its not necessary to mention that in the first place. Just like when everyone says "who cares what they want to be, they can identify with whatever they want,etc............right, who cares therefore dont mention it in the first place.

My problem isnt with TG people at all, its the media. Dont agree with my comment? Dont respond to it. That simple

Last edited:

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
My problem isnt with TG people at all, its the media. Dont agree with my comment? Dont respond to it. That simple

You don't have a problem with TG people, yet you insist on calling her "him", and you suggest they should go seek psychiatric help for their condition. It's pretty clear you have problems with both the media and TG people.

Unleash The Fury

Reaction score
You don't have a problem with TG people, yet you insist on calling her "him", and you suggest they should go seek psychiatric help for their condition. It's pretty clear you have problems with both the media and TG people.
Thats not the same thing at all! Just because i think they have a problem, doesnt mean i have a problem with them...............damn man did you fail reading comprehension in school? ;)

xzacx

Reaction score
Thats not the same thing at all! Just because i think they have a problem, doesnt mean i have a problem with them...............damn man did you fail reading comprehension in school? ;)

Do you not understand that thinking they have a problem is being disrespectful? You can say you don't have a problem with them, and try to convince yourself of that. You may even believe it. But the issue is thinking they have a problem.

oc616

Control Deck Wins
Reaction score
How to shut down a losing argument: Mention falling frozen water to invalidate the points of a winning side.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
Your waiting for me to post a link you could have researched 500 different links yourself.
You made a claim about Obama attempting to force transgendered bathrooms in Africa, which is false.

You couldn't find support for the lie, but tried to substitute another story which didn't support your lie.

Now you feel bullied, and are acting like a delicate snowflake.

Grow a pair, or not. If you just want to whine about how unfair the facts are... again, grow a pair.

The best part is, you were willing to use insults against people. In this case, you could easily put me in my place, with that same attitude, by simply posting proof for your false claim. That's why people aren't buying that you're holding back on something which would allow you to continue flaunting that attitude.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That just now theres been a "push" for it. And theyre pushing HARD.
Yes, because the ignorant, hateful, intolerant, bigoted, religious-Right, christo-fascist Dominionists have been pushing to deny U.S. citizens equal rights justified by their particular interpretation of one particular version of the christian mythology and they currently have the most bigoted, arrogantly-ignorant, racist, pseudo-fascist President and a VP that exactly fits their bill in the White House.
... Theres no need to mention that someones trans!...
In this case there is, because the incumbent ran on a platform of ignorance, bigotry, unconstitutional treatment of a segment of the U.S. population, LBGTQ-phobia, lies and out-right fabrications.
Interviewer: "How do we stop racism in this country"?

Morgan Freeman: "Stop talking about it"
First off, typical mis-quote, take things out of context, quote-mining, straw man nonsense used by the arrogantly-ignorant wing of the GOP.

Second, your mis-quote is 100% not applicable. Even though we have racist, white-supremesists in the White House, and government in general, we have none that are passing legislation that blatantly denies people rights based on race. We have no politicians that are actively calling people "sick", "deviants", "discussing", "perverted", "ill", etc. or saying that their behavior is threatening/damaging to others or should be criminal, based on their race. We have no politicians falsely equating peadophilla, child abuse, incest and beastiality with race. We have no politicians that are openly saying that specific races can't be in the military, using complete lies and fabrications to justify it. We have no politicians that are openly trying to ban marriage based on race. We have no politicians that are trying to allow/force 100% invalid and damaging pseudo-medical procedures on people to "cure" people of their race. etc. etc. etc.

The fact that somebody transgendered ran against an ignorant bigot that is against American Ideals AND WON in typically blindly-Red, highly gerrymandered state, is news. And it will continue to be news as long as the institutionalized bigotry is supported.

It would be nice when mentioning gender vs. sex (and if you don't understand the difference, you're part of the problem) and/or sexual preference becomes gauche, but we're a long way from that.

Unfortunately you've shown yourself to be part of the christo-fascist (or at least part of the arrogantly ignorant LGBTQ is "icky" so don't talk about it) group, because you spew nonsense like:
  • Thats a physcological problem
  • The same way a pedophile should get some help
  • Pander to a minority group
  • Intentionally use the wrong gender pronoun.
  • a small few are mentally challenged and "confused"
It's the arrogantly-ignorant, hypocritical, un-american, truth-is-irelevant, facts-are-irrelevant, false-equivocating, intolerant bigots like you that put the Oompa-Loompa and his christo-fascist, Dominionist sidekick in office and use the Constitution as a shield for your ignorance/bigotry when convenient, but actively deny citizens that you deem "icky" the same constitutional protections.

So yes, you've EARNED all the bile, disgust, venom, etc. directed at you because you have undeniably PROVEN that you are an arrogantly-ignorant bigot that has no problems spewing lies, fabrications, false-equivalents and other nonsense in a failed attempt to justify your arrogantly-ignorant bigotry.

Last edited:

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
Since the topic has come up, here's what she actually ran on.

"
  • Traffic: Let's finally fix Route 28 and find a cost-effective way to extend VRE to Innovation Technology Park.
  • Jobs: Incentivize localities to eliminate their BPOL taxes through state economic development grants and finally fill the office vacancies in Manassas Park along Manassas Drive.
  • Schools: Raise teacher salaries in Manassas Park and Prince William County so they are no longer the lowest in Northern Virginia while also providing more money for capital improvement projects that reduce class sizes.
  • Equality: Improving our quality of life starts with equality. I support the DREAM Act, civil rights, voting rights, women's rights, LGBTQ rights, raising the minimum wage and making health insurance more accessible and affordable for everyone.
"

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Since the topic has come up, here's what she actually ran on.

"
  • Traffic: Let's finally fix Route 28 and find a cost-effective way to extend VRE to Innovation Technology Park.
"

I am not her constituent - I live in a neighboring district - but this is easy for me to support, as this is my route to work. The VRE extension is a simple fix that makes sense but Richmond under the GOP would have none of it, since "Northern Virginia already gets too much transportation money."

Where do you think that money comes from, jackasses?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Again though, the sole reason this victory made the news, is strictly because this person is transgender.................when its not necessary to mention that in the first place. Just like when everyone says "who cares what they want to be, they can identify with whatever they want,etc............right, who cares therefore dont mention it in the first place.

The bit I think you're missing, however, is that:

1) her opponent was an infamous bigot who was well known in the area as the author of a proposed VA bathroom bill aimed at transgender people, and
2) her opponent made it a major part of his platform that she was transgender.

It's getting attention because it's ironic as hell. :lol: You know the other story that got very nearly as much airtime as this one? The boyfriend of the VA-area newscaster who was shot to death on live television ran for a Delegate seat on a gun control platform against a noted gun rights advocate, and HE won too. That one's a little less funny since his story is kind of a tragedy (not that being transgender in VA is a walk in the park, of course), but that's also the reason that it's generated so much attention - that it's ironic that someone who was victimized by a particular platform ran for office and won.

Status
Not open for further replies.