Agile 9-String....

• Thread starter techjsteele
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Don't knock it unless you've tried it.

I'd bet Garry Goodman's strings would make it up to A4 at that scale.

Yeah, I know Garry's strings can get up there, but iirc at those lengths people have had a heck of a time getting them to tune up without breaking. My thinking was that a 27" would work well for F# to A, and 30" would work better for C# to E. But yeah, I haven't tried it, and I've never tried an O4P string, so I'm going on heresay. You've got lots of ERG experience, though, so what are your thoughts? Is this a good scale length for C#1 or A4? Or maybe it's good because it's kind of in between, allowing experimentation at both lengths? I'm personally basing most of my comments on all the conversations we've been having about Tom Drinkwater's 10 strings and their scale length options.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
Yeah, I know Garry's strings can get up there, but iirc at those lengths people have had a heck of a time getting them to tune up without breaking. My thinking was that a 27" would work well for F# to A, and 30" would work better for C# to E. But yeah, I haven't tried it, and I've never tried an O4P string, so I'm going on heresay. You've got lots of ERG experience, though, so what are your thoughts? Is this a good scale length for C#1 or A4? Or maybe it's good because it's kind of in between, allowing experimentation at both lengths? I'm personally basing most of my comments on all the conversations we've been having about Tom Drinkwater's 10 strings and their scale length options.
From what I've heard there is a slightly different process to get garrys A4 strings up to pitch than the usual "tune it up and go" method with normal strings but if it is followed correctly the strings reach the pitch just fine.

Waelstrum

All Fourths Advocate
Reaction score
I really want one, but with a ten string on the way, the next guitar I get should have a sensible amount of strings (fanned 8 intercepter God willing) to avoid all the weird looks I get.

bachandroll

Reaction score
If that had a neck pickup I'd buy it right now. Then when I got it on Tuesday I'd need to re-educate my muscles that have gotten down the 8 string shapes!

Seriously, I'd buy that now if it has a neck pickup and a bridge pickup. 1 pickup guitars are as useful as a wife with no inputs!

Derek

Eddie Van Halen might disagree.

;)

stereo-image

Russia, Vodka, Bears
Reaction score
SPELL CHECK IS NECESSARY FOR COHERENT CONVERSATION IF YOU CAN NOT SPELL YOURSELF.

Guys, excuse me for my english..I just learn it. I understand everything when I read..But my spelling isn't good yet...very appreciate when you try to understand me correctly anyway. Thank you

I think Agile's 9s with Kahler and dual EMGs will not coming soon

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
From what I've heard there is a slightly different process to get garrys A4 strings up to pitch than the usual "tune it up and go" method with normal strings but if it is followed correctly the strings reach the pitch just fine.

Yeah, you have to spend a couple of days slooooowly getting it up to pitch. But I think it's super difficult to not break them, which is why he doesn't sell them as individual strings, but in packs. Still, it seems like a number of people that have tried them and posted about it had trouble not breaking them. Adam has a lot of luck with them, but I still worry about pushing the limits on it. Maybe I'm just paranoid, and after I try a few I may change my mind.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, you have to spend a couple of days slooooowly getting it up to pitch. But I think it's super difficult to not break them, which is why he doesn't sell them as individual strings, but in packs. Still, it seems like a number of people that have tried them and posted about it had trouble not breaking them. Adam has a lot of luck with them, but I still worry about pushing the limits on it. Maybe I'm just paranoid, and after I try a few I may change my mind.

After watching that demo video he made with the A on a 28.625" scale Intrepid, I'm a believer. He was plucking with his fingers and bending.

Yeah, the video was horribly produced and the tone (if you can even call it that :lol:) was atrocious, it still gets the point across.

Apparently the key is to tell Gary every aspect of the guitar the strings are going on. As in the type of bridge, the exact scale, the nut, the tuner, etc.

Come on Hollowway, after reading the constant "how to tune a trem" threads, do you really trust people to follow all the proper steps when getting these strings? :lol:

RG7

Reaction score
Guys, excuse me for my english..I just learn it. I understand everything when I read..But my spelling isn't good yet...very appreciate when you try to understand me correctly anyway. Thank you

I think Agile's 9s with Kahler and dual EMGs will not coming soon

don't worry about it man, your doing well.

Lasik124

Reaction score
This is badass. I want some Audio clips/Videos of this.

Or even better try one ha! I'm going to be honest though I'd be terribly Intimated by the neck. I'm STILL getting used to my 8 Ha!

heyimdallas

Reaction score
Someone has to get one of these ASAP.
I'm GASing so hard it's unreal, I have to see one in action.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
After watching that demo video he made with the A on a 28.625" scale Intrepid, I'm a believer. He was plucking with his fingers and bending.

Yeah, the video was horribly produced and the tone (if you can even call it that :lol:) was atrocious, it still gets the point across.

Apparently the key is to tell Gary every aspect of the guitar the strings are going on. As in the type of bridge, the exact scale, the nut, the tuner, etc.

Come on Hollowway, after reading the constant "how to tune a trem" threads, do you really trust people to follow all the proper steps when getting these strings? :lol:

Haha, good point! And I'm Type A enough I'll do it by the book, so I'll probably be fine. I forgot about that video. I never watched it, but I remember it being in a recent thread so I'll have to check it out.

stereo-image

Russia, Vodka, Bears
Reaction score
Here is another idea about tuning
This is it (from 1st to 9th) : F/E/B/F#/D/A/E/B/F#
with string gauges for example:
.008 (or even .009), .009, .012, .015, .022, .030, .040, .054, .072

Tuning from 3rd to 8th is similar to standart 6s guitar tuned down 2,5 steps with hi E(2nd) and low B(9th) beyond it.
So 1st and 2nd strings become a semitone chord..It may be good for noise elements in breakdowns for example....or something else...

Adam

Contributor
Reaction score
Are you back up to A4 on your 11-string now or did you settle on G#4?

I'm still on G#4, I just wanted to mention that I can get an A4 at 30.2". Im thinking of going down another half step so I would have a G4 as my highest and F#0 as my lowest.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
One of the members here (well, probably more than one, but I'm thinking of one in particular) had a simple-scale nine string, and I'm pretty sure it was extended scale and high A, or maybe it was D standard with a low E, low A, and high G...I can't remember. I guess that's what the search function is for...

I've got a 28.5" 9-string Ergo which I bought off Tom(TMM) who bought it off Donny and I've been using it to play live in my band with a F1 - A4 all 4ths tuning.

Garry's O4P strings are absolutely amazing and I'll never go back. I have found however that tuning my top string down to G#4 more than doubles the life of the strings and I can bend much more confidently on it.

I'd love to see a multi-scale 9 (or 8, or even 7 but with a properly angled pickup for that matter) from Agile, but in the meantime I think this is a fantastic development.

From my 4 years of experience playing a 9-string with the same scale length I'd highly recommend standard 9-string tuning down a 1/2 step to anyone who buys one of these:

F1 Bb1 Eb2 Ab2 Db3 Gb3 Bb3 Eb4 Ab4

Or if you're a diehard 4ths player like me:

E1 A1 D2 G2 C3 F3 Bb3 Eb4 Ab4

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm still on G#4, I just wanted to mention that I can get an A4 at 30.2". Im thinking of going down another half step so I would have a G4 as my highest and F#0 as my lowest.

Cool man thanks for the clarification. I'm designing my next prototype around a 30" scale for the highest string and I'm thinking that tuning it to G4 will give me the best balance of high range with string longevity and bend-ability.

(off topic - I'm still totally fascinated by your 11-string and I (and many others) love it when you post demo vids of you playing it. hint hint... :) )