"Anyone happy with their setup and not constantly gear flipping?"

• Thread starter Given To Fly
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SSK0909

Reaction score
Like many others, the Axe-fx 2 has completely killed my amp gas.

I used to buy a new amp waaay to often. Heck, I started playing guitar in 2002 and when I bought the Axe-FX in 2012 I had owned the following amps:

- Fender Squier 15w combo
- Behringer V-Ampire 112 combo
- Peavey Valveking combo
- Engl Screamer combo
- Marshall 6100lm
- Peavey XXX (Isn't it actually called the triple xxx? That would make it the Peavey xxxxxxxxx)
- Line 6 Vetta II
- Krank Rev1
- Mesa Boogie Dual rec 2ch
- Peavey 5150
- Rocktron Piranha
- Marshall JCM 800 2203
- Laney VH 100R
- Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+
- Diezel VH 4

That's 15 amps in 10 years :D
I've now owned my Axe-FX for 3 years. Thats longer than I kept any other amp i've owned :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ascl

Reaction score
I am extremely happy with my gear. As per others, the kemper is a large part of that. I love my sound.

I do still drool over the occasional guitar, but I have some sick axes, so I'm not wanting in that department.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
I don't flip amps, because I know what I want, and it's just not feasible for me to have them right now. I had an AxeFX, but hell, I still haven't figured out how to work my POD. I came up with my preset when I was drunk and it's stuck because it actually sounds good.

I do flip guitars because I'm still working on finding one that's perfect. Probably going to wind up going custom one of these days.

Aris_T

Reaction score
I consider myself immune to GAS, as I always planned my purchases thoroughly. I went through a "major" change when I sold my amp, retired my POD and went through Kemper and studio monitors. I don't gig anymore and keeping a 100W combo was too much.
I'm trying to complete a pedalboard though (missing a midi controller and thinking of a reverb pedal), to get me more in jamming mode and be ready for future band rehearsals.

Ibycan7

Reaction score
After a year and a half of flupping gear I finally settled on a Mesa Dual Rec v2 and the matching cab. Best set up for me ever. Effects I have been very happy with the few ones I have. I'm simple when it comes to effects the less effects the less I have to switch. As for guitar, after trying several expensive guitars I settled for s PRS SE custom 24. It gives me everything I need and it is such a gorgeous guitar.

protest

Reaction score
I don't flip to flip, I flip to find what I like.

I went through about 18 months of amp flipping until I end up with my Colossus. I don't really have GAS for any other amps. I would eventually like something complimentary like a Lonestar, but I'm in no hurry to get one.

For guitars I'm still in the flipping mode, but I'm almost done. I have one more guitar I'm looking to get, likely either a USA Jackson or a J Custom. Then I should be good until a used Tom Anderson Angel pops up with specs that I like.

I'll move on to pedals after that, some low-mid gain OD pedals and trippy effects, and I'll be good. With pedals I think I'm just going to try stuff/watch videos and stick to what I buy. There's so many pedals out there, and flipping would be never ending.

NeubyWanKaneuby

Reaction score
I think at this point, I'm pretty happy with most everything I have. There's probably only 1, maybe 2 more guitars that I'd like to get, but most of my GAS right now is effects. I had a pedal board that I was happy with, but sold it off for Pod X3 Pro, then a GSP1101. I think I want to go back to my pedal board, but I doubt I'd find all the pedals I used to have since they don't make them anymore.

PBGas

Reaction score
I've gone from Amp to Kemper to Amp + Torpedo Live to Kemper and finally back to an amp again with a Torpedo Live.

Should have stopped at the second amp and I'd still be happy because I'm back to the same amp and Live. My first Kemper was the lunchbox when they first came out. I had a powered rack at some point in there as well but that was a defective unit and I sent it back last summer.

Kemper is a great unit. I would just rather have an amp and with the Two Notes stufff as it sounds amazing live. I got tired of constantly searching for a better profile. Anyone who says they are content with 3 or 4 profiles on their unit are quite frankly not being truthful. The curiousity of trying new things really does come into play. I loved the convenience of the Kemper but my on stage monitoring just didn't work for me. FOH was great.

Carcaridon

Reaction score
I have the Amplitube 3 set but I bounce around between amps. Lately I've been using the ENGL and the Orange the most. But I'm eyeing a Kemper right now, but I'm much happier with software amp sims.

I'm building my guitar collection back up after not having seriously played for some time.

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
Im basically done.

ESP Eclipse FT Custom (Black)
ESP Eclipse USA (Snow White)

Peavey 6505
Marshall 1960BV

Korg Pitchblack
Anarchy Audio Esquilax
Anarchy Audio Sentinal
Anarchy Audio HM-2 clone
MXR Noise Clamp

I am just trading spare pedals now.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
It's not that I haven't had some really cool stuff before, I just like to sample other really cool stuff. :D

Currently I don't have an amplifier at all, and I'm definitely not happy with that setup! (although I'm running plugins with an interface and they can sound pretty great.)

Not finished with guitars either, that's for sure. I require a telecaster and maybe another strat of some sort.

cult

Reaction score
Just this week I sold all of my pedals since a used TC G-Major popped up for a great price.

FX Board was nice to find out what I like and all, but in the end it's a lot of Delay and verb stuff, which the TC will do excellently.
Just gotta solder a cable to make it switch the channels on my Laney VH 100R and I'm good to go, Velcro the TC to the top and make some as short as possible cables for it.

Sparkfriction

Reaction score
yes. but i had to because of other lifeproblems which kept me away from thinking about it and spending money. Also i learned to give some stuff more time and get used to it... My stuff is the same for years now...

Kullerbytta

Newborn
Reaction score
I've had GAS since forever, wanting just about anything guitar-related...
Guitars, amps, cabs, modelers, pedals, DAWs, interfaces... It's all gone now!
I am more than content at the moment with my main axe: my Ibby RGA7, secondary axe: Fender AM Standard and my Axe FX Ultra.

For once... I don't feel the GAS, and it feels so good.

It's sick how much I love my RGA7... I seriously don't really care for getting a new 7.
I'm even thinking of selling my AM Standard to buy a nice-sounding Squire strat for 1/12th of the price and using the rest of the munnies to buy stuff for my little girl and our home... Reverse-GAS? GASing for everything that isn't gear...

boltzthrower

Reaction score
I've been happily married to my Axe Standard/VHT 2-90-2 for a few years now.
But we're swingers, so, every once in a while...

jbealsmusic

Reaction score
Honestly? My main rig for about 4 years now has been an RP1000 direct-to-FOH with an FRFR cab I designed & built. I don't know if happy is the right word for it, but it does the job. Everyone seems to think it sounds good until they actually see what it is I'm using to get my tones.

I'd upgrade, but I haven't found anything under $2K that I consider a big enough step up in tone. The Amplifire peaked my interest until I heard the demos. The Helix and AX8 (depending on its release price) are now on my radar.

Then again, I haven't done pro shows in a long time. Just a bar gigger/tinkerer now. Too much time invested in the business to do anything else.

p4vl

Reaction score
I've had my Peavey XXX combo since 2005 (I use it as a head). It was my first tube amp and with the right tubes, speakers and an MXR 10-band, it can sound amazing (putting an RFT NOS 12ax7 in V1 really smoothed out the gain channels).

I guess it spoiled me because I don't think I'd ever buy an amp that can't easily be biased for different power tubes. JJ E34L's bring XXX's to life.

I even replaced the original knobs with white mini-chickenhead knobs from Peavey because the original knobs were .....

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
I'm very happy with my setup. Two MIJ Ibby's, one custom strat, my RGD7421. All of them play fantastic and sound great. I've had a slight case of amp GAS lately but nothing really severe. My Blackstar pretty much gives me the perfect tone. Though if I could sell my BlackStar for a JSX+Mesa 4x12 I would do it in a heart beat.

lewis

Reaction score
Im constantly tweaking. Thats why I would be crazy to get an Axe Fx. I would spend 90% of the time tweaking and 10% playing.

Im bad enough with my Pod HD and its options.

Mehnike

SS.org Peruser
Reaction score
You know, I have quite a low end amp rig currently but I've remained pretty satisfied for the last couple years. No major gear purchases in the last two years. Went through a couple axe fx's and an engl prior. All I ended up selling to fund other purchases. I hated it at first but I think it has been humbling to be in a position where great tone is not so important, but playing the guitar is. It was pretty easy for me to get caught up in tone quests....Now it is "set it and forget it!" And I really can achieve a cool tone, or maybe I have just convinced my self I can! Here is the rundown:

rg7620/kxk sii7 > randall 1x12 combo > carvin power amp > mesa 4x12 cab