Anyone Keep Going Back To EMG?

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    emg pickups
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I bought a Tele neck EMG (EMG FT) that I can't use. I was unaware that Tele and Strat single coils were different sizes. I saw someone say in one of the reviews on EMG that they liked it in their Strat, so I figured what the hell. Moral of the story: That was a waste of 50 bucks. Boo!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Noodler

Riffing and chill
Reaction score
This weekend I swapped my 81X and 85X from the standard 81 bridge/85 and damn! It's an amazing set up now with the 85X in the bridge and 81X in the neck. The rhythm tones from the 85X are thick and tight and the neck tones from the 81X are clear and full of sustain. I think it was @HeHasTheJazzHands that mentioned trying out that setup and man, I'm so glad I did!

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
This weekend I swapped my 81X and 85X from the standard 81 bridge/85 and damn! It's an amazing set up now with the 85X in the bridge and 81X in the neck. The rhythm tones from the 85X are thick and tight and the neck tones from the 81X are clear and full of sustain. I think it was @HeHasTheJazzHands that mentioned trying out that setup and man, I'm so glad I did!
Ugh, guess I have to try this now

matt_boogie76

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I only ever put 85s in my guitars. Thought the 81 was a bit thin and the 85 just had a fatness to it. Had an Ibanez S540 LTD with 85s in the neck and bridge and an SA in the middle. Punched like the hulks fist in yer face through either of my boogies 🤘🏻

kerryymm

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I picked up a Harley Benton Fusion III a while back, with EMG Retroactive Hots 70s in it. I far prefer them to the Fluence moderns in my Charvel.

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
Ugh, guess I have to try this now

I'm rocking an 85-X in the bridge of my white Horizon. Mega underrated pickup/position, imo. Currently utilizing a 24v mod with it and while it does make a difference I don't feel it's as pronounced as with the non-x series.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I'm rocking an 85-X in the bridge of my white Horizon. Mega underrated pickup/position, imo. Currently utilizing a 24v mod with it and while it does make a difference I don't feel it's as pronounced as with the non-x series.
Since I'm sure it'll get asked: The 24v mod is to replace the 18v mod for size reasons, not because of the additional 6v of headroom you may or may not get from it.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I picked up a Harley Benton Fusion III a while back, with EMG Retroactive Hots 70s in it. I far prefer them to the Fluence moderns in my Charvel.
So you got the flat black ones with the roasted neck and board? How is the build quality? I've been eying them as a much cheaper alternative to getting a Charvel.

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
I just got a swollen pickle fuzz the other day, it sounds so heavy with my ESP that has an 81 in the bridge through a 5150 III 50watt. It turned a somewhat generic tone into something uniquely twisted, like a cross between old school DM fat tone and modern metal tight tone had a baby.

Aliascent

Reaction score
So I bought a 84 Explorer that was converted to passives, which are okay but not the best for metal.
So I'm thinking of putting EMG in it, just undecided on which set (guitar will be used in standard to play everything from thrash (Vektor/Coroner) to jazz):

85/60
85/85
Fat 55
58/60

I already have many guitars with 81/85, and 57/66 I want something new. Thick, tight and good for leads with good neck cleans. Any opinions ?

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
So I bought a 84 Explorer that was converted to passives, which are okay but not the best for metal.
So I'm thinking of putting EMG in it, just undecided on which set (guitar will be used in standard to play everything from thrash (Vektor/Coroner) to jazz):

85/60
85/85
Fat 55
58/60

I already have many guitars with 81/85, and 57/66 I want something new. Thick, tight and good for leads with good neck cleans. Any opinions
58/60A might be good.

CapinCripes

Trem Snob
Reaction score
How's the 85 in the bridge really? I know some people prefer it because it's fuller but is it too loose if you want to really start some tight rhythms?

Warmart

Reaction score

85/60
85/85
Fat 55
58/60

I already have many guitars with 81/85, and 57/66 I want something new. Thick, tight and good for leads with good neck cleans. Any opinions ?
Het Set or 57/66!

kerryymm

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So you got the flat black ones with the roasted neck and board? How is the build quality? I've been eying them as a much cheaper alternative to getting a Charvel.
Yep, that’s the one. Build quality is excellent, no complaints at all. Mine’s a b-stock so the tone pot is a bit loose, but it still works - and I don’t use it anyway, so it’s all good. It’s a really nice-feeling neck. Different to my Charvel, but really comfortable.

E45B6BD1-D8A5-4157-BDFA-E00DADAFF0FF.jpeg