Baldurs Gate 3

• Thread starter LiveOVErdrive
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
7xokk8.jpg

Still gonna get it, though.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score
13.49? Where's that coming from?

It is a ripoff that it's 10 more. I'll wait for a discount.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Canada tax. $10 USD = $13.49 CAD
I always wondered. If a Canadian dollar is worth slightly less than an American dollar, do you on average have more of them than Americans have American dollars? Like are you actually paying more for stuff or is the number just larger?

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I always wondered. If a Canadian dollar is worth slightly less than an American dollar, do you on average have more of them than Americans have American dollars? Like are you actually paying more for stuff or is the number just larger?
Confusing wording, but I think I get what you're asking. :lol: We pay more for stuff, as far as I can tell, we also have a population that's 1/10th the US's, so we definitely don't have more money floating around.

I'll give a few examples of stuff I buy:

- Obviously it's different where ever you are in Canada, but gas today is C$1.67 per litre, which is equal to US$4.67/gal (standard, not premium).
- Video games have been C$79.99 new for a few years now, where I think they're US$59.99. Back when new games were US$50 for y'all, they were C$60 up here.
- a Warhammer 40k kit that is listed at US$60 on the US website, is listed at C$75 on the Canadian one.

Also, full disclosure: I work in the US but live in Canada, so I get paid in USD and convert it. (inb4 I get roasted for bitching about the additional price of stuff in Canada vs the US. :lol:) It's still a minor annoyance, but sometimes it's more worthwhile to ship something to a mailbox in Detroit and pick it up, even if I risk having to pay duty on it. It's DEFINITELY not worth it to ship something from the US to Canada if I can help it, but I'm lucky that I live in a border city.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Yeah confusing topic with confusing wording lol.

Back to the topic of the game, I just want to play all the classes and play styles lol. Currently I'm being a help-everyone paladin. But it seems like it would also be really fun to be a githyanki and just be a dick to everyone.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Baldur's Gate is my favourite game series. It's great to see a third game finally get released and sounds like Larian did an incredible job. A lot of companies were pitching for the licence and it looks like it ended up in the best hands out of them.

I have neither a PC, modern console or the time but I hope I can check this out in a few years....

Werecow

Reaction score
For anyone not playing yet.... i'd highly recommend making a custom character on your first playthrough. All the main party members are available to play as origin characters (characters with a backstory & quest), but if you choose one, you'll be missing out on the character's personality and motivations, with some really great acting / voice over work. You still get to do their quests alongside them as a custom character.

I've done the typical RPG thing and started a new game :lol:. I was going to just wait while they patched some issues in Act 3, but i couldn't resist playing it.
I've made a couple different decisions, and it's a bit bonkers how everything changes so much as a result. Still having a blast with the game.
I've started the new game on the top difficulty, because the encounters seemed a bit easier in general than D: OS 2. That game does have some pretty brutal fights first time around though. Maybe Larian have trained me to be a lot sneakier, but the 5E rules with downed characters and reviving are a lot more forgiving.

Werecow

Reaction score
The quality of the voice acting (and mocap I assume?) cannot be understated. Like holy jeez these characters are all great.
Yep, it's all mocapped while they did the lines. It's pretty much just acting at that point.

The character models, textures, and facial expressions are all shockingly good for a CRPG as well. Looks like they did amazing work even mocapping facial expressions. Like i can understand 3rd person action games having good models etc, but these spend a lot of the time as quite small, nearly isometric characters on the screen. And then it goes in for a conversation, and from what i can tell looks quite a lot better than Starfield's.

Last edited:

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
… I've done the typical RPG thing and started a new game :lol:. …
I've started three. It took me over a week to get off the <spoiler> because I played each of them, switching at every autosave, as "Go Everywhere. Kill Everything."

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
No. I'd be a month in and still not completed the first "mission". I only created three characters.
For some reason I missed the "three" part and only saw the "all of them" lol.

Paladin is fun so far. Trying to figure out who I want to be friends with is stressful though!

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Finally got to play today, albeit not a whole lot. I just made my character, got through the intro/tutorial, putsed around on the island a bit and found Shadowheart (again), Astarion, and Gale, then got to the goblin fight in front of the fort before I had to put it down.

I'm rocking a wood elf druid as my main, and chose to go Circle of the Land just to be different from everything I've experienced in the tabletop (Circle of the Moon seems to be the more popular choice). Not sure what the rest of my party will be but I'm trying Gale as an Enchantment wizard and will see how that plays out.

So far I'm digging the gameplay on PS5 but have accidentally ended/skipped my turn in a few early combat encounters without meaning to and I wish it made you hold triangle or something instead of just tapping it to end the turn. The hold X to search the immediate area, in lieu of investigation checks, is really clever, too. I also really like the radial menus but will need to customise them for each character, so I'm definitely gonna spend a lot of time in this game micro-managing each character, which is exactly what I look forward to!

I also love the parallel (or homage?) to D:OS2 in the entire opening sequence. Pretty fun easter egg but also just a very good way to grab your attention at the start and get you used to the game systems before digging into more of the minutiae when you land on the island.

Werecow

Reaction score
Finally got to play today, albeit not a whole lot. I just made my character, got through the intro/tutorial, putsed around on the island a bit and found Shadowheart (again), Astarion, and Gale, then got to the goblin fight in front of the fort before I had to put it down.

I'm rocking a wood elf druid as my main, and chose to go Circle of the Land just to be different from everything I've experienced in the tabletop (Circle of the Moon seems to be the more popular choice). Not sure what the rest of my party will be but I'm trying Gale as an Enchantment wizard and will see how that plays out.

So far I'm digging the gameplay on PS5 but have accidentally ended/skipped my turn in a few early combat encounters without meaning to and I wish it made you hold triangle or something instead of just tapping it to end the turn. The hold X to search the immediate area, in lieu of investigation checks, is really clever, too. I also really like the radial menus but will need to customise them for each character, so I'm definitely gonna spend a lot of time in this game micro-managing each character, which is exactly what I look forward to!

I also love the parallel (or homage?) to D:OS2 in the entire opening sequence. Pretty fun easter egg but also just a very good way to grab your attention at the start and get you used to the game systems before digging into more of the minutiae when you land on the island.
Larian love their
starting on a ship and then getting dumped on a beach. D: OS 1 sorta started like that as well, but the ship was only in a cutscene. It does feel weirdly intriguing to start on a beach for some reason though.

HelenKellersCaddie

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've been meaning to play again since getting into Act 3 last Friday, but Starfield has been sitting in the background eyeballing me after work. I'm lvl 7 and got the warning that Act 3 is gonna wreck me. For those of you who are past this point, how much harder should I expect it to be?

Werecow

Reaction score
I've been meaning to play again since getting into Act 3 last Friday, but Starfield has been sitting in the background eyeballing me after work. I'm lvl 7 and got the warning that Act 3 is gonna wreck me. For those of you who are past this point, how much harder should I expect it to be?
I'm not exactly sure how hard, but i'm level 7 and i've not started Act 2 yet. So i'm guessing you're really underlevelled.

Werecow

Reaction score
Does baldurs gate 3 go all the way to level 20? Or is that old 3.5/pathfinder nonsense?
It's capped at 12 in this game (but not in D&D), because apparently spells after that become god-like, and they found it almost impossible to balance the game. That's what i've seen/heard Swen Vincke say in a few interviews anyway.