Bands That Fell Off Hard

• Thread starter FeedMeWithColours
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
All That Remains, Korn, Disturbed, Slipknot, Children of Bodom, (in the slightest) Lamb of God.

Disturbed made a public statement a few years ago that they decided to go on hiatus and take ten years off to let the dust settle. They basically dont want to work their asses off and not make the money they deserve, which is exactly whats going on with the internet/record labels right now. Its totally fucked whats been going on with the internet and free/illegal downloading. Rather smart of the Distrubed guys actually. They basically said once the dust settles and the labels figure out how to actually make their artists money again then they will be back.

10-15 years ago new bands that were hot and picked up by major labels were putting out an album, touring for 4 months straight and each member receiving a check for like $50,000 when they got home. Sadly due to the internet this may never happen again.

VacantPlanet

Reaction score
About the Metallica thing, I love most of what they've done. Granted Load/Reload/St.Anger doesn't get as many spins as the older stuff and DM, it's still mostly enjoyable. The problem with Metallica is that when people rate Metallica, they're not relating them to other bands, which is normally the case. Instead, you're rating against every album Metallica ever made. It is hard to accept something like Load/Reload because in the back of your mind you're saying to yourself "These are the same fucking guys that wrote Creeping Death?!" And it's a hard thing to reconcile. If Load and Reload had been made by a different band, they would've received alot more praise. I'm not defending these albums, I'm just offering my perspective on them because that's how I personally feel so YMMV.

As for Lulu, it's the biggest piece of shit I've ever heard and the biggest strike against Metallica. For the 90s/St. Anger material there are a myriad of arguments on why they're good/bad/whatever. But at least with those albums there is some kind of justification, whether it be they wanted to try something new, they sold out, whatever you want to imagine. But Lulu is so utterly devoid of anything musically worthwhile, that I'm ashamed for them. It's almost as if when they offered to do a project with Reed they didn't expect him to say yes, but when he did they were like "oh shit".

People can argue till the cows come home that it's not a true Metallica record, but a collaboration. That doesn't hold alot of water with me. When you put your name on something you're giving your endorsement of it. You're saying that you believe in the quality of what you've done and you stand by the decision for better/worse. This record reflects horribly on the Metallica brand. If they had done the record and called it Lou Reed and Friends or something like that, no foul. But once they attached the Metallica name to it, they attached a long, epic legacy to Lulu. It would be as if Steven Spielberg or Christopher Nolan teamed up with Uwe Boll for a Human Centipede Reboot.

TLDR- I understand the flak Metallica gets for it's later stuff, but nothing can make up for the abomination of Lulu.

Last edited:

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
I haven't read the whole thread, this has probably been said countless times, but... Metallica, post-1991.

EDIT: In fact, Metallica have been mentioned in the post before mine. Oh well. My :2c: can be found here:

The Black Album was among their very best material IMO, then they went all to shit.

Apart from this track. I like this track.

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
^even though I've never liked Metallica that song is cool as fuck (well, the CHORUS is cool as fuck) despite how ridiculously overplayed it is

wankerness

Reaction score
So people really don't like death magnetic? I thought it was a lot of fun and had a lot of moments of greatness.

Regarding Load/Reload, I like both of them quite a bit. They have plenty of clunkers, sure (Cure, Thorn Within, Better Than You are bad by B-Side standards even) but overall I think they're pretty solid. Stuff like "Bleeding Me," "Outlaw Torn," and "Carpe Diem Baby" still entertains me greatly. Reload was also the first metallica album I heard so I win the fals metul prize.

Oh, and Garage Inc's first disc was also pretty good.

The_Mop

Want to make $60?
Reaction score
I am kind of shocked, but I totally agree with you. Satch was my #1 influence up until the extremist, then he kind of fell off with his self titled, came back a bit with crystal planet, and then fell hard. I don't like any of his chickenfoot stuff, either.:scratch:

Yeah man, like I said - it's a real shame on account of how bloody awesome he was back in the day, so I feel really bad being critical of him. It's just a real dissapointment to see a proper hero become not quite so heroic :p

jehu12141987

Reaction score
System of a Down. Oh wait, they've not released anything in 100 years... does falling off the radar count as falling hard?

jehu12141987

Reaction score
Instead of suing Coldplay, Satch shouldv'e just shaved his gorilla arms, joined them, and toured the world. Would've made waaaaaay more dough and fans.

RustInPeace

Reaction score
Also gotta add Iced Earth.

Everything after horror show was meh.

THIS. Even when they got Barlow back for one album it was incredibly average.

Children of Bodom - the last 2 albums were painfully bad, but I actually really liked Are You Dead Yet.

Someone earlier mentioned the Offspring - Bob Rock ruined them. More on the punk scene - AFI. The Art of Drowning is one of my favorite albums ever, and their last with Nitro records. I guess they "sold out" after that.

All That Remains - This Darkened Heart and The Fall of Ideals were awesome, then they got popular and tame.

Avenged Sevenfold - Do people still like them? I loved Waking the Fallen.

Alot of people want to bash Metallica... and for good reason. I wont listen to anything past Justice except for Death Magnetic, which I thought was fantastic.

elnyrb10

fly you fools
Reaction score
job for a cowboy. personally the doom ep was fucking amazing and genesis was pretty damn good but everything after that i just couldnt get into and it makes me sad i couldn't.

also stick to your guns blows now they were amazing when for what its worth came out

The_Mop

Want to make $60?
Reaction score
I'd also like to mention NIN along with this, but not particularly because Trent 'fell hard', I think largely because he carried on NIN for precisely one album too long. The Slip was a fairly dull listening experience - minimal rambling tunes limited to a traditional album format better suited for more hard-hitting and catchy stuff. What had happened with Ghosts is that he'd really established the groundwork for what's led him to create Oscar winning soundtracks, and if I'm honest he probably should have halted NIN there. The Slip, to me, seemed frivolous. An album for an album's sake.

Then again, I know some people love The Slip. Not sure why, but that's just my 2p.

nsimonsen

Reaction score
I'd also like to mention NIN along with this, but not particularly because Trent 'fell hard', I think largely because he carried on NIN for precisely one album too long. The Slip was a fairly dull listening experience - minimal rambling tunes limited to a traditional album format better suited for more hard-hitting and catchy stuff. What had happened with Ghosts is that he'd really established the groundwork for what's led him to create Oscar winning soundtracks, and if I'm honest he probably should have halted NIN there. The Slip, to me, seemed frivolous. An album for an album's sake.

Then again, I know some people love The Slip. Not sure why, but that's just my 2p.

Completely and utterly disagree with this, as much as I believe that With Teeth was NIN's peak I loved The Slip. Excellent record.

The_Mop

Want to make $60?
Reaction score
Fair enough. I won't lie, it's confusing to me why I don't like The Slip considering more or less every other bit of NIN I've heard is absolutely golden.

wankerness

Reaction score
I still have never really gotten into anything post-the fragile (one of my top 10 or so favorite albums ever). I was so disappointed that With Teeth was more like Pretty Hate Machine than The Fragile that I never really gave it a fair shake. I love pretty hate machine, so it was just the letdown that there'd never be another "the fragile" which was so much more intricate and layered.

EDIT: Forgot about "still," that was an exception

flexkill

Vodka & PentaTonic
Reaction score
I can't believe i'm doing this.....flame suit is on and charged.......Pantera....I hated southern trend kill....and I'm a HUGE Pantera fan.:ugh:

jehu12141987

Reaction score
Anyone mentioned Goo Goo Dolls and Third Eye Blind? I know they've made a mild resurgence, but no where near their 90's hey day.