Born of Osiris MegaThread! - All things BoO

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LeeOSIRIS

Reaction score
Im soo stoked for the new material! Lee you are a god

Question: Any techno/electronica/rap stuff on the new material.. I know you guys have experimented with that in the past

Hey man! Glad you're stoked! There is a lot of intros to our songs now that have an electronic feeling (due to our keyboardists input) which makes for a cool listening experience. There is also an electronic style interlude that we are trying to find a place for. I wouldn't say any rap though, that was kinda just for fun on the last album, but people took it wayyyy too seriously. We make all kinda of music for fun because that is supposed to be what this is all about!

LeeOSIRIS

Reaction score
Ah, I just thought of another question that's been bugging me; how do you approach writing songs now that your using 7 strings in GCGCFAD? For me for example; switching to 7 strings was almost a necessity as I tended to write only lead lines but I just couldn't write heavy enough stuff in standard tuning, hence where the extra B came in. I'm interested in finding out how the extra string has accommodated your song writing.

Hello! There is a small misunderstanding about that tuning. Both of our albums in stores now are on six strings, but I've always been a seven string player. That is why I play sevens live even though until now, none of the material has been seven string. The GCGCFAD tuning is what my guitar is tuned to when I go on stage to play six strings songs. I just ignore the seventh string (G).

The new album is tuned to as follows - GDGCFAD. This is a more standard dropped tuning for a seven. So in turn its not too unusual. It also makes the writing problem you mentioned a little easier : ) I hope this answers your question properly!

JoshuaLogan

Banned
Reaction score
Are you guys keeping the bass an octave below the guitars? Or playing the G on the same octave? Just curious, because that low G is pretty damn low for a bass. I'm playing 7 string guitar/5 string bass in Drop Ab and think even that is kinda pushing it (although I know bands like Fear Factory/Divine Heresy & After The Burial have the bass tuned to F# and F an octave below and make it work... kinda muddy though).

Cool about more electronic stuff. Sturgis will probably have fun with that when you guys meet up with him for the album.

eventhetrees

What's a Panini?
Reaction score
That is why I play sevens live even though until now, none of the material has been seven string. The GCGCFAD tuning is what my guitar is tuned to when I go on stage to play six strings songs. I just ignore the seventh string (G).

This illusion of you playing a 7 string live kinda messed me up. I never approached learning any BoO material until recently and when I found out you guys played in Drop C on all releases thus far I was surprised and kinda felt dumb for not catching that earlier.

After a long while now of trying to get into BoO the music finally makes more and more sense to me and I can't get enough of it. It literally took me years to get into SiKth by the way haha and now I'm super late to that fan club haha.

What I am getting at here is, can't wait for this new cd, keep on making fucking wicked tunes and face melting riffs!

Oh yeah and 1:47 in Abstract Art...I don't think that riff will ever get old to me....

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Lee, why not, to preserve your Dropped C tuning, play with a low F? Nobody seems to do it, even though to me, that makes the most sense.

LeeOSIRIS

Reaction score
Whats up guys, Lee from Born of Osiris here. Few things I wanted to mention as they have come up scattered on this website.

The 3 songs we recorded with Misha will be up in the next week and a half or so. 2 weeks TOPS! So for those of you asking, now you know! I will be posting here as soon as they are on our myspace so everyone can check them out.

I mentioned I would post the professional picture MM took of my new Petrucci 7 string BFR. So attached is the picture!

I am selling my Ibanez S Series 2170fw Prestige 6 string (which is in the guitar/sell/trade section) so head over there if interested. I also must mention I had purchased this guitar before I was endorsed by Ibanez, so I'm not selling anything I received for free. I would not do that to them.

Looking to get AxeFX Ultra so if anyone can help me with that as well let me know! Fractal is a hard company to get a hold of : (

Myself and Jason Richardson (our new guitar player, formally of All Shall Perish) will be offering guitar lessons on and off of tour. If we are rolling through your town or you live in the Chicagoland area hit us up here: boolessons@yahoo.com Cameron our drummer is also offering drum lesssons.

And lastly, some people had messaged me regarding the white Ibanez in the Now Arise video. It was made for me by the dudes at the LACS branch but it was not a built from scratch custom. It has a few minor customizations including the pickups and the paint but other than that the body is the basic 7 string Prestige they offer.

Attachments

• White_Gold JP.jpg
    White_Gold JP.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

teqnick

The only person that liked the new Faceless album
Reaction score
That BFR is ridiculously nice, Lee. Can't wait to hear the new stuff. Catch you on thrash n burn!

Metalus

JP BFR Whore
Reaction score
Damn man thats one sexy BFR. You seem to be a pretty big fan of white guitars :D

Looking forward to the new songs dude! :shred:

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
thanks for the info! we really appreciate the fact that you personally post updates \m/

richcastle66

Prog is Life
Reaction score
so great to hear from someone from the band! really excited for the new tracks and to see you guys in august!

LeeOSIRIS

Reaction score
Whats up guys,

Jason Richardson and I (Lee McKinney) are going to be giving guitar lessons on the upcoming Thrash and Burn tour. The lessons will be taking place either on our bus or in our backstage room, depending on whichever will make for the best experience. They will be in half hour or hour long intervals. All you need to bring is your guitar and a we will be good to go!

Pricing - $40 half hour $75 per hour. This price also includes a guest list spot to the show!

For booking or questions please write: boolessons@yahoo.com

Please include in the email: The date and time (after 12 noon) that you'd like to start, and what you want to focus on/learn.

Thanks everyone!

-Lee McKinney and Jason Richardson

vhmetalx

\m/
Reaction score
shitfuck. if i can get money for fresno ill email ya guys.
so the guest list means i WOULDNT have to buy a ticket? just pay for lessons and i get in for free?