Do you worry about guitar graphics and the potential meaning?

• Thread starter guitar_player4_2_0
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Also, I don’t think most Hindus in India give a shit about something that happened in Europe eighty years ago even if their ancient symbol was co-opted. The very questionable parades that happen in Mongolia every year or certain Halloween costumes in Singapore indicate other cultures just don’t care.
Yes, totally happened only in Europe. That's why it was called European War II after all.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
Yes, totally happened only in Europe. That's why it was called European War II after all.

India was only really involved at all because it was still under British rule, but yeah, they totally helped fight the Nazis of sho.

I was going to reply earlier about the Iron Cross -- its only sort of ironic that it's been co-opted by tough guy white supremacists, since it was just a symbol/medal relevant to the German forces and not specifically a Nazi co-opted symbol in the way that the swastika was, or like other runic symbols were. I wouldn't want that negative association on a guitar though, much less the fact that it looks tacky. XD

JDB123

Newb Extraordinaire
Reaction score
What I find so frustrating is that the criticism and pushback for the alarm that ensues when someone whips out a Confederate flag or Nazi guitar is essentially the same emotion being criticized.

Like you’re mad, because I’m mad? Me (hypothetically, *wink-wink*) being a woke snowflake enrages you? We’re conflating two separate reactions but what’s more concerning is people getting confused about the hubris at the heart of it all.

Which is it? Are people allowed to be upset and offended by Nazi German or Confederate guitar graphics or not? The free speech question swings both ways, you do or wear something inflammatory and objectionable, and people are allowed to voice their opinion on it. We don’t live in a vacuum, we live in a society with other people, who have different experiences and different backgrounds. At the end of the day, this comes back to respect, if you have any regard at all for your the people around you that you encounter every day. Or are you just living on a planet with a population of 1?

Is it that serious? It’s just stupid decals on a guitar, right? But the implications of wider and ever increasing sentiments of support for these hateful ideologies looms large and threatens our progress as a society today.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
India was only really involved at all because it was still under British rule, but yeah, they totally helped fight the Nazis of sho.

I was going to reply earlier about the Iron Cross -- its only sort of ironic that it's been co-opted by tough guy white supremacists, since it was just a symbol/medal relevant to the German forces and not specifically a Nazi co-opted symbol in the way that the swastika was, or like other runic symbols were. I wouldn't want that negative association on a guitar though, much less the fact that it looks tacky. XD
And, like, the Japanese were moving west to India.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
Even if the iron cross was never used by nazi Germany, it was still used by imperial Germany. Just because nazi Germany overshadows just about everything else in history doesn't mean Germany wasn't committing atrocities before WW2. People just like to romanticise it the same way southerners love to romanticise the confederacy.

Even without the nazi connection, it's still a symbol of colonialism and white supremacy.

Last edited:

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
Even if the iron cross was never used by nazi Germany, it was still used by imperial Germany. Just because nazi Germany overshadows just about everything else in history doesn't mean Germany wasn't committing atrocities before WW2. People just like to romanticise it the same way southerners love to romanticise the confederacy.

Even without the nazi connection, it's still a symbol of colonialism and white supremacy.

Like what specifically, aside from I guess WWI? I'm not super learned on German history, but I know Europe in general has had its share of problems. I mean, might as well lump in stars and stripes with it since America is not without its own atrocities, as long as we are generalizing. I'm not trying to redeem the Iron Cross or whatever, only remarking on how it isn't specifically a Nazi symbol, but I know that doesn't stop people from using it in a negative context.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
Like what specifically, aside from I guess WWI? I'm not super learned on German history, but I know Europe in general has had its share of problems. I mean, might as well lump in stars and stripes with it since America is not without its own atrocities, as long as we are generalizing. I'm not trying to redeem the Iron Cross or whatever, only remarking on how it isn't specifically a Nazi symbol, but I know that doesn't stop people from using it in a negative context.
For some relevant history see Ausländer (Kruspe, Landers, Et al., 2019).

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
Like my bands last show, in case you couldn't tell by my username, I'm Polish but live in the states, and I decided to wear my Ushanka hat during an outdoor gig because it's fucking cold along with my usual Adidas tracksuit, and the guitarist for the other band tried to have the owner take us off the roster because I was "promoting a hateful, war mongering culture, and it was insensitive to anyone in the crowd who might be Ukrainian." First off: I'M FUCKING POLISH, secondly, we're in bumfuck Oklahoma, I'm probably the only person within a hundred miles that's even Slavic, let alone a goddamn Ukrainian. Dude just had a savior complex and wanted to feel like a hero.
I'm from Ukraine. I'd be sooooo fucking angry if that happened to me.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Even if the iron cross was never used by nazi Germany, it was still used by imperial Germany. Just because nazi Germany overshadows just about everything else in history doesn't mean Germany wasn't committing atrocities before WW2.
Can't you draw the same conclusion from just about every military symbol/flag? Is the Iraqi flag with the star on it a symbol of American "intervention"? I see where you're getting at, and I'm not familiar with the work you referenced in your next post, but where's the line we draw? Obvious swastika = bad, but it's pretty clear that the iron cross is a lot muddier to distinguish.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I had this ESP for a while, probably would still have it if it weren't for the inlay:

m3nk7iwutlp8kfgeczwi.jpg

As you can see, it was highly decorated for its service.

tedtan

Reaction score
You have lived in the US way too long,man.You are getting obsessed with guns,you started to use some strange measure units,and if you say "soccer" ,you are getting blacklisted in a split second :)
A technicality, but both imperial units of measure and the term “soccer” are British in origin. They’ve just stopped using them before we have. :lol:

Though I don’t see either, or gun culture, going away anytime soon in the US.

keithhagel

Reaction score
Man, I used to love Dime's Rebel Flag guitars back in the day. I was also a different person back then. I like to think I've grown a little.

I use something I call the "Best Friend Test". Cause it's what made me finally get rid of a big ol' Confederate Flag I used to have hanging up in my room. Imagine you have a guitar with a graffic, and you consider it your "favorite" guitar. Now imagine that your best friend is some race/ethnicity/nationality/whatever, and you bring them over to your house and show them your "favorite guitar". How do you think owning that guitar makes them feel? How would it make them feel about their "best friend" relationship with you? If you can see a serious problem popping up, maybe reconsider having that guitar. Like, I'm part Native American (Choctaw). If I meet a new friend, and go over to their house and their favorite guitar has something that looks like the old Cleveland Indians mascot all over it? I don't really care how long they lived in Cleveland, I'm gonna be super uncomfortable about one of their favorite things having a lame cartoonized version of my relatives on their guitar. I guess I'd imagine a jewish person might have the same reaction to "look at my guitar with SS inlays" or an African American person might view a guitar with a big ol' confederate flag. Would a jewish person view an Iron Cross the same way? I have no way of saying that for sure. I certainly don't associate it exclusively with the Nazi party as I've seen it used for all sorts of things, but I'm not in that culture. Who knows, maybe this would be something to reach out to a group and ask how they feel about it.

Latest posts