Do you worry about guitar graphics and the potential meaning?

• Thread starter guitar_player4_2_0
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sell2792

Reaction score
Yes, totally happened only in Europe. That's why it was called European War II after all.

Considering Nazi Germany seems to be the focus of this thread I assumed we were primarily discussing the atrocities they committed which took place in Europe. If we want to include all of the horrible things that happened during WWII then presumably a Japanese Rising Sun (Unit 731), Union Jack (bombing of Dresden), the American flag (where do I begin?), etc. should be frowned upon to include on guitars too. That being said, I think most graphics look stupid and tacky regardless of any historical context. However, I wouldn't judge someone for owning something so trivial - it's not offensive to me and I don't care.

I have a Hanneman LTD w/ the controversial inlays. I bought it new back in 2003 or whatever. I never think about the inlays because it's a badass guitar.

I briefly owned one of the later models with Eagle/H inlays. It looked cool and I loved the Kahler but I couldn't get a decent sound out of that specific guitar for the life of me. I'd be curious to try one of the newer models with star inlays, if they ever ship.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Considering Nazi Germany seems to be the focus of this thread I assumed we were primarily discussing the atrocities they committed which took place in Europe. If we want to include all of the horrible things that happened during WWII then presumably a Japanese Rising Sun (Unit 731), Union Jack (bombing of Dresden), the American flag (where do I begin?), etc. should be frowned upon to include on guitars too. That being said, I think most graphics look stupid and tacky regardless of any historical context. However, I wouldn't judge someone for owning something so trivial - it's not offensive to me and I don't care.
You're not going to believe this but where I'm from the Union flag is very offensive.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
You're not going to believe this but where I'm from the Union flag is very offensive.

You're Irish aren't you ?

So is most of my family. We came over to Philidelphia in the early 1900s. The British aren't particularly well liked amongst people beyond my Dad's generation.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
You're Irish aren't you ?

So is most of my family. We came over to Philidelphia in the early 1900s. The British aren't particularly well liked amongst people beyond my Dad's generation.
Yes.

It was hard to be a Who fan growing up here

Pietjepieter

Contributor
Reaction score
Thankfully, this is an easy problem to avoid.

I've never once--EVER--seen a guitar with graphics that wasn't utterly, hopelessly cringe-inducing. And it should really surprise no one that Confederate and Nazi fuckbois have terrible fucking taste.

Clearly you have never seen the hot dog guitar.
1705437564651.png

And fuck all nationalistic, military stuf whatever stuff on guitars, only hotdogs and watermelons are allowed

Thesius

Reaction score
if there are five hot dogs sitting at a table, there are no hot dogs sitting at a table because I ate them all with kimchi and spicy mustard

Time to derail this thread into Periphery as is the SSO tradition

Fuck mustard. Team ketchup

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Would it be considered offensive if the watermelon was pictured with fried chicken and grape soda? Asking for a friend. :fawk:
At the first hospital where I worked, on Martin Luther King Jr Day, an email was sent to all staff stating that the cafeteria would be serving Martin Luther King's favorite foods. The menu that day looked fairly like the above. I really was not sure if it was a very poor taste joke.

tedtan

Reaction score
At the first hospital where I worked, on Martin Luther King Jr Day, an email was sent to all staff stating that the cafeteria would be serving Martin Luther King's favorite foods. The menu that day looked fairly like the above. I really was not sure if it was a very poor taste joke.
I can’t speak for the hospital, but I grew up in south east Texas (Houston area) and we had fried chicken and watermelon on a regular basis, with grape or strawberry soda, Kool Aid, or iced tea. So did everyone else I knew - it’s a southern thing unrelated to race.

And a cold watermelon straight out of a fridge or a cooler loaded with ice is hard to beat during the south east Texas summers (think 90+ percent humidity, 100° to 110°F, 38° to 45°C).

Somewhere along the line it became a racial stereotype/slur, but everyone I knew - white, black, Hispanic, Asian, Middle Eastern, whatever their background - ate fried chicken and watermelon, so I don’t consider it a racial thing at all. If it’s a negative, it applies to all southerners. :lol:

But I definitely see how it can be considered offensive given the stereotype.

ZLE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This guitar is Killer Fascist..
I think that Killer guitars are unofficial brand of ESP, because I saw the brand logo along the other subbrands of ESP(Grassroots, Edward's e.t.c) inside the ESP Academy in Japan. And this is not a cheap guitar, it's priced between E-II and Custom Shop. But I don't know what triggers me more, the model name, or that single tuner over there...
kg-fascist-galaxyblack-horizon.jpg

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
I can’t speak for the hospital, but I grew up in south east Texas (Houston area) and we had fried chicken and watermelon on a regular basis, with grape or strawberry soda, Kool Aid, or iced tea. So did everyone else I knew - it’s a southern thing unrelated to race.

And a cold watermelon straight out of a fridge or a cooler loaded with ice is hard to beat during the south east Texas summers (think 90+ percent humidity, 100° to 110°F, 38° to 45°C).

Somewhere along the line it became a racial stereotype/slur, but everyone I knew - white, black, Hispanic, Asian, Middle Eastern, whatever their background - ate fried chicken and watermelon, so I don’t consider it a racial thing at all. If it’s a negative, it applies to all southerners. :lol:

But I definitely see how it can be considered offensive given the stereotype.
I can confirm this is standard redneck fare. We had fried chicken all the time. Watermelon in the summer. Grapico in the fridge. I never understood the racial stereotype about it. I remember I first heard it as a kid on Full Metal Jacket and my dad and granddad were laughing. I asked them why it was funny and they said it's because that's what black people eat. And I was thinking to myself we eat exactly the same stuff so what is the point?

OneTwoThrill

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Symbols aren’t they made to gather people into a ideology, a trend or move?
You need symbols when you don’t know who you are and want people to see you as you would like to appear.

Our time is image era with no real consistency.
Even modern punks wear uniforms.