Do you worry about guitar graphics and the potential meaning?

• Thread starter guitar_player4_2_0
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I never liked graphics of any kind in guitars, so I guess I'm safe :lol:

Probably because ignorance of belicist events it's usually cooler when you see flags of other countries in guitars. But man, If I ever see someone playing a guitar with a spanish flag live I'm walking the fuck out. :barf:

Last edited:

Zeppelinskies

Reaction score
Man, I used to love Dime's Rebel Flag guitars back in the day. I was also a different person back then. I like to think I've grown a little.

I use something I call the "Best Friend Test". Cause it's what made me finally get rid of a big ol' Confederate Flag I used to have hanging up in my room. Imagine you have a guitar with a graffic, and you consider it your "favorite" guitar. Now imagine that your best friend is some race/ethnicity/nationality/whatever, and you bring them over to your house and show them your "favorite guitar". How do you think owning that guitar makes them feel? How would it make them feel about their "best friend" relationship with you? If you can see a serious problem popping up, maybe reconsider having that guitar. Like, I'm part Native American (Choctaw). If I meet a new friend, and go over to their house and their favorite guitar has something that looks like the old Cleveland Indians mascot all over it? I don't really care how long they lived in Cleveland, I'm gonna be super uncomfortable about one of their favorite things having a lame cartoonized version of my relatives on their guitar. I guess I'd imagine a jewish person might have the same reaction to "look at my guitar with SS inlays" or an African American person might view a guitar with a big ol' confederate flag. Would a jewish person view an Iron Cross the same way? I have no way of saying that for sure. I certainly don't associate it exclusively with the Nazi party as I've seen it used for all sorts of things, but I'm not in that culture. Who knows, maybe this would be something to reach out to a group and ask how they feel about it.
Interesting question. But as a half jew who owns all the Hannemans, and who's best friend is Jewish - he doesn't care at all about the S&Key or the H dagger or thr Imperial Eagle. Because he knows me, and knows I'm not racist - I just like Slayer. And that's all good.

I think there's an interesting point here about not judging a book by its cover, and people are seldom black and white.

ZLE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
As a citizen of a country, that was firm ally of Germany in both World Wars and THEN was a communist country for 45 years, I can't tell you only this:

If there is 5 people sitting at the table and one of them is a bass player, the other four kick him out of the bar...

Last edited:

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
I wonder sometimes If I had a chance to buy a legit USA Washburn (not dean)dime rebel for a reasonable price…I usually think I’d definitely do it as a cool collector’s piece. I’d keep it in its case and not share it with anyone. Then again, it would be weird having a guitar I basically can’t play anywhere except home in isolation. It would be a neat collector’s piece to have in terms of value, though.

That said, the weirdest fucking thing is the Dean facebook groups full of hillbillies playing guitars built in Asia with confederate flags on them saying “GETCHA PULL!”

olejason

Reaction score
I briefly owned one of the later models with Eagle/H inlays. It looked cool and I loved the Kahler but I couldn't get a decent sound out of that specific guitar for the life of me. I'd be curious to try one of the newer models with star inlays, if they ever ship.

Mine is the first run w/ a Floyd instead of Kahler and EMG's. Sounds killer for metal.

yan12

Reaction score
Graphics don't bother me at all.

Jeff's guitars in Slayer are a perfect example. Never once bothered me. If Jeff had lots of tattoos of hatred, and every Slayer song was about genocide of a certain group of people, then I would consider him to be a Nazi. But art is entirely subjective, and many people that seem normal collect very bizarre things, even for shock value.

But in general, I can't think of a guitar with inlays or graphics that really offended me. Probably one out there somewhere, but I have yet to see it.

Now there are guitar shapes, brands, and prices that greatly offend me, but that is for another post!

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
I thought about buying one of the rebel flag Deans back in the day, played a handful of them (not just the rebel flag, but just Dimes in general) and they were all so shit the flag's not what I'm judging you for if you have one.

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
I'm a Roman Catholic and own the guitar below...Daemoness 'Conception of the AntiChrist'..which features a lot of 'religious' persecution from unfounded fear and paranoia which swept Europe for several centuries. The graphic on the back is taken from various publications of the infamous Malleus Maleficarum....a book which was responsible for deaths of countless thousands of innocent people in the Middle Ages. The question is does it offend the average person as opposed to Nazi Symbolism on a guitar? At what cut off point does history offend and then become okay? There's a lot of metal album covers you can fire into this argument as well. Do you totally wash over history...no matter how dark it may be? Does this history need to be on guitars? I dunno....it's a difficult subject for sure. Nobody alluded to this Daemoness being offensive when I posted it online before.

Rear of the Year 1486:
antichrist6 (2).jpg
antichrist3 (2).jpg

Last edited:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting question. But as a half jew who owns all the Hannemans, and who's best friend is Jewish - he doesn't care at all about the S&Key or the H dagger or thr Imperial Eagle. Because he knows me, and knows I'm not racist - I just like Slayer. And that's all good.

I think there's an interesting point here about not judging a book by its cover, and people are seldom black and white.
There’s a saying “not all skinfolk are kinfolk”. Im also reminded of posts elsewhere along the lines of “well im First Nations and this doesnt bother me” which strongly implies that person can speak for others of their background…

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I'm a Roman Catholic and own the guitar below...Daemoness 'Conception of the AntiChrist'..which features a lot of 'religious' persecution from unfounded fear and paranoia which swept Europe for several centuries. The graphic on the back is taken from various publications of the infamous Malleus Maleficarum....a book which was responsible for deaths of countless thousands of innocent people in the Middle Ages. The question is does it offend the average person as opposed to Nazi Symbolism on a guitar? At what cut off point does history offend and then become okay? There's a lot of metal album covers you can fire into this argument as well. Do you totally wash over history...no matter how dark it may be? Does this history need to be on guitars? I dunno....it's a difficult subject for sure. Nobody alluded to this Daemoness being offensive when I posted it online before.

Rear of the Year 1486:
View attachment 136680
View attachment 136681

That guitar's a history lesson. I legitimately learned something from Dylan's discussion of both the source material and the process of reproducing it on the guitar. I can't pretend that it deserves to be considered next to a guitar with a swastika or SS runes on it because someone "thought they were cool" or thinks "nazi stuff is cool". I find it hard to be offended when the reference event is treated with a great deal of knowledge and maturity (and yes, I'm even going to say that when the devil's showing his butthole to that lady).

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
At what cut off point does history offend and then become okay?
I mean, a really simple answer to that might be when it's long enough ago to be just history and not a current problem. Nazi imagery is a big problem because we're still dealing with nazis. Since we're no longer in the middle ages, that graphic of satan's butthole isn't likely to rile up many witch hunters or whatever - anyone who recognizes the image (I didn't, I had to google it) understands it as a historical reference instead of a dogwhistle. When we're far enough removed from actual nazism, then sure, it can be taken as a historical collectors piece or an aesthetic. But we 'aint there yet.

Makes me think of that meme with the PETA billboard showing a bunch of animals and asking "but where do you draw the line?!", and someone drew the obvious line on it. Frankly, the line here is also pretty obvious.

Latest posts