ESP Owners Club-Show Us Your ESPs!

• Thread starter Church2224
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't think anything MIJ is very popular in Japan TBH. StringDriver cabs...JBodens...Sugi and T's Guitars a little bit. Think that's about it. And like if you walk into any shop with an ESP or Navigator to trade in, it's really laughable what kinds of offers you get.

And I guess among ESPs, I see more people either beginning and getting some BangDream one or going all out for a "full" ESP.

Gear that is popular/revered in Japan:
- Suhr
- Tom Anderson
- James Tyler
- Friedman
- Matchless
- Bogner
- Two Rock
- Steinberger

Sorry to get back to an older (well, not that old...) post, but out of curiosity: do you happen to know if any signature guitars for Japanese artists stand out compared to the (low) standard you mention? At least relatively. Not talking about ESP specifically, but I know less about other brands and their endorsers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
Has anybody here owned or played one of the M-II DX series? (i.e. bolt-on)

I have an M-II NTB with a floyd and absolute love it

Now looking for another to use in a different tuning, but not to get an identical guitar.

DX series looks cool, especially the maple fretboard without binding

This one: https://espguitars.co.jp/product/4665/

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score

Now looking for another to use in a different tuning, but not to get an identical guitar.

I have not, but without a doubt it would be an excellent guitar.

xzyryabx

Reaction score

Ive played a bunch around Tokyo...it's pretty much an m-ii but bolt-on. They run cheaper cause of the construction difference, but if you like bolt-ons (I do), then that's a win. I wouldn't hesitate to get one if I find a good deal on one

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Sorry to get back to an older (well, not that old...) post, but out of curiosity: do you happen to know if any signature guitars for Japanese artists stand out compared to the (low) standard you mention? At least relatively. Not talking about ESP specifically, but I know less about other brands and their endorsers.

Sorry, didn't see the post. But I don't really have an answer :p Stand out in terms of quality or price warranted? The only sig guitars I'm really familiar with are ESP or the .strandberg* Leda.

1b4n3z

Reaction score

I have a CTM and a DX from 2011
IMG_20210730_100527.jpg

As much as I love the aesthetics and commanding tone of the CTM, I find myself rather playing the DX. It's brighter, louder and snappier plus the playability is at least equal to the CTM thanks to some clever cutaways on the backside. The DX also weighs much less than the CTM. I expected to find a flat and thin neck on it, but it's actually surprisingly round and substantial - love it!

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
I have a CTM and a DX from 2011
IMG_20210730_100527.jpg

As much as I love the aesthetics and commanding tone of the CTM, I find myself rather playing the DX. It's brighter, louder and snappier plus the playability is at least equal to the CTM thanks to some clever cutaways on the backside. The DX also weighs much less than the CTM. I expected to find a flat and thin neck on it, but it's actually surprisingly round and substantial - love it!

You absolute legend, haha

Perfect answer, thanks. And it totally justified me owning both.

I have a CTM with maple fretboard and yeah, the sound is "commanding" and thick, I totally agree. It's also damned heavy! So I was thinking a bolt-on might be brighter sounding and lighter to hold.

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sorry, didn't see the post. But I don't really have an answer :p Stand out in terms of quality or price warranted? The only sig guitars I'm really familiar with are ESP or the .strandberg* Leda.

Just in popularity, if any signature models actually are known to be especially popular. What you said was interesting considering how many time I was looking at the ESP website - curious about the models, especially sigs not that I know most of their artists, that didn't make it to our part of the world. Unless these count as the "full" ESPs you've also mentioned.

narad

Reaction score
Just in popularity, if any signature models actually are known to be especially popular. What you said was interesting considering how many time I was looking at the ESP website - curious about the models, especially sigs not that I know most of their artists, that didn't make it to our part of the world. Unless these count as the "full" ESPs you've also mentioned.

I would say Sugizo stuff is really popular. They upcharge the ton out of his custom navigators and ESPs, and I always think there's no way they'll sell at that price, but then they always do. And they hold value really well used compared to other things. I want a Sugizo S1, but they rarely drop below $2k. Some of the Takasaki / Loudness stars are similar, but those are ..random -- I see new ones sell for $3-6k (depends on the model), and some used ones can still get $2k. Maybe I'm forgetting someone but beyond those guys, I think the anime girl bands are bigger. And outside of ESP I don't see a lot.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
The XJapan association is what makes Sugizo stuff sell. Unless it has changed, Xjapan in Japan is kindof what Maxofmetal associated Metallica to in another topic: if they sell yoshiki-scented toilet paper, they'll be out of stock in minutes.
Sugizo being originally - and since - from other projects is completely overshadowed by the XJapan thing.

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
I want a Sugizo S1, but they rarely drop below $2k.

I bought one off BMusic a few years ago for around $1800 CAD, sold it a year later for a similar amount... Add that to the list of gear I should've never let go :/

20170627184735.png

The whole LP body with 3 singles and a Floyd thing was an interesting experience. Love the headstock on the Sugizo models, too.

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would say Sugizo stuff is really popular. They upcharge the ton out of his custom navigators and ESPs, and I always think there's no way they'll sell at that price, but then they always do. And they hold value really well used compared to other things. I want a Sugizo S1, but they rarely drop below $2k. Some of the Takasaki / Loudness stars are similar, but those are ..random -- I see new ones sell for $3-6k (depends on the model), and some used ones can still get $2k. Maybe I'm forgetting someone but beyond those guys, I think the anime girl bands are bigger. And outside of ESP I don't see a lot.

Ah, the Sugizo being so popular makes sense because of X Japan. But Loudness instruments being so popular is a bit surprising. I've heard of them as being a classic band, but just that and that doesn't make sure the gear sells that great.

narad

Reaction score
Ah, the Sugizo being so popular makes sense because of X Japan. But Loudness instruments being so popular is a bit surprising. I've heard of them as being a classic band, but just that and that doesn't make sure the gear sells that great.

Maybe they don't sell that many, but weirdly still produce then, and that's by counting the killer guitars line of his.

AltecGreen

Reaction score

Popular is the key. Once you leave ESP, I think the next brand that has a fair number of signature guitars is Sago. But now you go from a world wide known company to a very small boutique maker. Very small numbers are sold although the hardcore fans will buy these often expensive instruments. For such a small brand, Sago have quite a few signature artists. Sago have always been willing to support young up and coming artists. They are probably best well known for the signatures for Machiya of Wagakki Band. Currently, they have the guys from Novelbright as artists.

After Sago a number of small brands have one or two artists. Kino have a made a name for themselves by having Sakura Yoshida of Hagane be their major draw.

It's hard for these small Japanese brands to keep their artists. Kanami Tono of Bandmaid and Tomo-zo of Gacharic Spin both played Addictone during their indie years but both switched to PRS abiut the time they signed to a major label.

X1X

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This is a new MIJ guitar. I just set up the intonation. The build quality is very good overall but I'm somewhat disappointed with this:

Still happy, everything else is pretty much great.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
This is a new MIJ guitar. I just set up the intonation. The build quality is very good overall but I'm somewhat disappointed with this:

What's the matter? Hipshot bridge saddle screws are too short? Or it scratched the bridge?

narad

Reaction score
I bought one off BMusic a few years ago for around $1800 CAD, sold it a year later for a similar amount... Add that to the list of gear I should've never let go :/

20170627184735.png

The whole LP body with 3 singles and a Floyd thing was an interesting experience. Love the headstock on the Sugizo models, too.

It was in -that- good of condition -and- got the flight case!? You sonofabitch

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Yeah, Hipshot has always had that problem. They really do junky coating for the application and the design isn't very polished, so you get those deep looking gouges.

Hipshot used to be willing to replace bridges like this, but that was years ago.