ESP Owners Club-Show Us Your ESPs!

• Thread starter Church2224
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spork141

Reaction score
I really wish people would stop listing LTD's and E-II as ESP on reverb.
I have a feeling Reverb changed their algorithm because the last week my feed has been flooded with LTDs. It was never like this before and I'm sure people listing their ESPs as LTDs isn't a new problem.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score
I have a feeling Reverb changed their algorithm because the last week my feed has been flooded with LTDs. It was never like this before and I'm sure people listing their ESPs as LTDs isn't a new problem.
They’ve been soft-rolling-out a search update for the past couple months and it’s been terrible.
Example: ESP not:ltd will yield 0 results sometimes and sometimes not. I emailed them and their support was just like, “we’re working hard to make the user experience the best. Here’s a link that tells you what you already know. K.”

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
E-II and some Ltd, yes

Original, I haven't seen a dyed one before

They've dyed the original for decades as well. It's just done very well by hand and then the time is taken clean up and then burnish the board. Which is why they're shiny, smooth, and cleanly black every time.

But everyone has been dyeing their ebony for like a million years, except some of the smaller shops that can source a rare totally jet black post processing piece for individual builds.

Getting enough natural jet black ebony for production guitars has been just about impossible since the early 80's.

marke

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They've dyed the original for decades as well. It's just done very well by hand and then the time is taken clean up and then burnish the board. Which is why they're shiny, smooth, and cleanly black every time.

But everyone has been dyeing their ebony for like a million years, except some of the smaller shops that can source a rare totally jet black post processing piece for individual builds.

Getting enough natural jet black ebony for production guitars has been just about impossible since the early 80's.

Nice insight, so they skip at least some part of the process with E-II as the color is coming off. Does not happen with Original Series I reckon?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nice insight, so they skip at least some part of the process with E-II as the color is coming off. Does not happen with Original Series I reckon?

I've probably seen over 100 Original over the years, maybe more, and haven't run into one where the dye has come off after simply playing. During a deep clean, yeah, but even that's an exception vs. rule.

Generally, they put enough time and effort into the Original stuff that you're not going to run into the quirks some of the E-II (old Standard) has, which really do tend to be minimal.

I'd say Japanese ESP (regardless of headstock branding) is the most consistely great and high end feeling of the major mainstream manufacturers. Bar perhaps some specialty stuff like J.Customs.

The lineup of 7s is just kinda shitty, for my tastes at least, and they've really priced the Original stuff out of consideration for North America, or else I'd probably just stick with ESP for almost everything. To put it in perspective, there's not a single Original within even 20% the price of all four of my Suhrs when bought new. It used to be the reverse not too long ago.

ClownShoes

Reaction score
KH-4s are almost never for sale. I've wanted one for ages.

Were there even any production M-IIs with pickguards?

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Just saw Randall at Chondro post a pretty big price hike is coming on all ESPs. Smaller increase in USA than the ones that come in by boat for obvious reasons.

What are the obvious reasons? The yen is down like 10% vs the dollar recently. They should do a price drop for you guys, frankly.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
What are the obvious reasons? The yen is down like 10% vs the dollar recently. They should do a price drop for you guys, frankly.

It’s the new ‘me too’. Everybody is raising prices like crazy, usually because everybody else around them is doing it, haha.

Can BKP justify a 30% increase in the price of pickups? Hell no, but they did it anyway.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
If I was in the US, I'd just start buying any new ESPs from Japanese dealers rather than US ones then. Gonna be way cheaper (until the yen bounces back).