FS: Bare Knuckle Pickups (Painkiller, Nailbomb, Warpig, etc)

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
That's correct, but I just sent him an email about it to double check for you.

eeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuurrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhh!!!!!

this is a development i am most excited about, but i might explode from anticipation if i have to wait that long!!!! :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zugster

the green machine
Reaction score
Finally had a chance to really compare my Miracle Man 7 set to some DiMarzios in two nearly identical guitars. Son#2 has an RG7421 and I have a an RG7621. The 7421 has DiMarzios: a D-sonic in the bridge, and we just don't know what model the neck is. The RG7621 has a MM calibrated pair.

We played them mostly into his rig which is a Framus Dragon into an Orange 2x12 (the older heavier built version of this cab). Mostlty we were on the lead channel with the depth knob cranked fairly high for thick metal. Both guitars sound great in this rig, but there was little doubt that the Miracle Man pickups were better. The tone was tighter and smoother with a rich detailed feel. The biggest difference was the low end on the bridge pup, where I feel it's fair to say the BKPs pretty much blew the DiMarzios away. Its not like the DiMarzios were bad or anything. They really did sound good. Its just that if you're looking to squeeze the most tone out of an RG the BKP Miracle Mans give you an edge.

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
Zugster,

Did you do any clean stuff or was it all chug-chug djent? :)

Thanks,
Jeff

I'm also very curious about this, as I'm working on an RG7421 project right now and my amp is a Framus Dragon. Versatility and good cleans are just as important to me as bringing the chunk, so if the cleans are good, I might look into some MM's when it's time to put electronics into the guitar.

Thanks,
another Jeff :lol:

Zugster

the green machine
Reaction score
I'm also very curious about this, as I'm working on an RG7421 project right now and my amp is a Framus Dragon. Versatility and good cleans are just as important to me as bringing the chunk, so if the cleans are good, I might look into some MM's when it's time to put electronics into the guitar.

Thanks,
another Jeff :lol:

Sure the chug and heavy lead riffs were great but we care about cleans too.

We had a limited amount of time, but yes indeed we played some cleans. Both through the Framus Dragon and through my rack rig: a Digitech GSP1101 into a Carvin TS100 tube power amp. The Framus has an excellent clean channel, and we ran the 1101 with a Fender twin reverb model which is also high quality. We found the cleans sounded quite good. However, we didn't compare them with other guitars such as my single coil strat and tele, or my LP or SG. I have a feeling that although the RG cleans sounded fine with the Miracle Man set, it might not have been quite as good as those other guitars. But so what? I think it was worth it to put the BKPs in. RGs are built to rock hard and don't have the delicate touch of a strat or the warmth of a Les Paul. BTW my Les Paul has a BKP painkiller set in it which is beyond awesome. So, I guess you could say I'm a BKP fanboy. :lol:

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
Thanks, Zugster! I also have a set of BKP's in my Les Paul, but I went with Nailbombs. They're ridiculously awesome. They sound really aggressive and have tons of bite under a lot of gain and the cleans on the neck pickup are amazing, but for my RG, I was thinking of trying out something a little tighter and more focused, possibly with a ceramic magnet this time, instead of alnico.

Zugster

the green machine
Reaction score
I bet nailbombs are a good choice in a Les Paul, but I am soooo taken with the painkillers in mine, its all I would recommend for heavy stuff plus beautiful cleans.

SpiritCrusher86

Plays 6-Strings
Reaction score
I wish my BKP was here :(

Ordered it 4 weeks ago today, still hasn't even gotten to Nick. Makes me wan't to get my money back and just go with MCP, made in USA, cheaper, takes less time, just as good tone.

But, good things do come with a wait. I will say that if i don't love it I will be the super angry. and will sell it for a MC Hell Baby.

EDIT: I'd also like to think zimbloth for putting up with my bitching.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Me too :lol: I've had a few sets now, and they've kicked the shit out of every other pickup I've tried.

:agreed:

Thanks, Zugster! I also have a set of BKP's in my Les Paul, but I went with Nailbombs. They're ridiculously awesome. They sound really aggressive and have tons of bite under a lot of gain and the cleans on the neck pickup are amazing, but for my RG, I was thinking of trying out something a little tighter and more focused, possibly with a ceramic magnet this time, instead of alnico.

Good point but keep in mind there are alnico models tighter than the Nailbomb, so going to a ceramic isnt necessarily the way to go. Really depends on the makeup of your RG, I can give you a recommendation if you email me with more specifics :)

I wish my BKP was here :(

Ordered it 4 weeks ago today, still hasn't even gotten to Nick. Makes me wan't to get my money back and just go with MCP, made in USA, cheaper, takes less time, just as good tone.

But, good things do come with a wait. I will say that if i don't love it I will be the super angry. and will sell it for a MC Hell Baby.

EDIT: I'd also like to think zimbloth for putting up with my bitching.

It's fine man, I just wish you'd stop bitching about it in this information thread. I keep asking over and over to direct issues with specific orders to me directly, not in this thread. Your pickup will be here tomorrow or Thursday, and I've already addressed the reasons for the delay to you via email.

I know you're 14 and just anxious, but try to be a little more patient here. This is just a pickup, not a liver transplant. This one has taken too long to ge here due to an aforementioned mix-up, but I think it will be worth the wait. But if not, I'm happy to give you a refund so you can get your Motor City.

SpiritCrusher86

Plays 6-Strings
Reaction score
Okay zim, I have a valid question. Do you know anything about the Aftermath? I was reading about it on the bKP forum, they said it was like a PK only less boxy and less high mid emphasis. Is it a future BKP, or just a custom order?

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Okay zim, I have a valid question. Do you know anything about the Aftermath? I was reading about it on the bKP forum, they said it was like a PK only less boxy and less high mid emphasis. Is it a future BKP, or just a custom order?

I have never heard of that, I'll have to ask Tim. I wouldn't say the PK sounds 'boxy', but definitely it has a lot of upper mids. To me a PK with less high-mid emphasis would just be sort of like a Cold Sweat.

Zugster

the green machine
Reaction score
Maybe I'm a bit cynical in saying so, but it all sounds like a bunch of cork sniffing BS to me. Especially with so many factors going into your overall tone. Ummmm.... like the amp you're using and how well you've EQ'd it.

I think what matters more is what guitar the pickup is going into. The combination of the 2. All I know is the painkillers in my Les Paul sound freakin awesome. Boxy... too much upper mids? I don't think so. My LP was sounding pretty muddy with Burstbucker Pros, and when the painkillers were put in, the guitar just came to life.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
What is meant by boxy here? I generally associate that word with an unflattering bump around 200Hz, not something in the high mids.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
Damnit, I've already seen the word enough at once now that it has temporarily lost all meaning. :lol: