George Martin - A Song Of Ice And Fire

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
Finally could start to watch the series - been through the first 4 episodes so far, and imho they've done a great job. Not enough direwolves, and I'm missing a few details - but thats just the normal things one has to live with book-to-TV-adaptions...

I hope they keep the quality on that level for the rest of the season (final episode aired last night i think?), and hopefully they get a bit more budget for S2, for which the filming starts in july..

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
^

Last night's episode was awesome. Waiting until next Spring for season 2 will be difficult.

SPOILER ALERT:
Somebody woke the dragon.

I'm just about done with the first book too. Really well done, there were a few inconsistencies with the book, but, overall, the series is a good adaptation. Also, watching the series before reading the book forces me to read the book in the voices from the show (especially Tyrion).

-42-

Nothing to see here
Reaction score
Hopefully the Malazan Book of the Fallen can keep me until Dance with Dragons.

The Grief Hole

Reaction score
WTF!1. I thought dances with dragons was out already! Another 3 weeks. How am I going to survive?

Spoiler!!!!!

I have to find out what happens to Cersei!! Hopefully nothing good.
:evil:

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
July 12th is release-date!

Also, you can use spoiler tags:

Code:
[ spoiler ]
texttexttext
[/ spoiler ]

but without the blanks after/before the brackets of course.

shows your text then like:

example

And yes, i wonder (and hope) that too. :D

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
PvP Online ran a great set of strips last week. Of course, these are funnier if you're a fan of PvP, but still, great.

pvp20110613.png

pvp20110614.png

pvp20110615.png

pvp20110616.png

pvp20110617.png

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
So, finished A Clash Of Kings a few days ago, started reading A Sword Of Storms. I love this series thus far, although I've heard A Feast For Crows is a bit of a let down compared to the three books before it. Anyone care to weigh in on that?

Also, there's been one early review of A Dance With Dragons published, although it's very brief. It IS positive, however, but also a bit spoilerific. Apparently the book starts to answer some questions about...

Jon Snow's true parentage. Personally, I think he's actually Rhaegar Targaryen's son Aegon, born from Lyanna Stark. Some theories posit however that Samwell Tarly is actually Aegon, which also makes sense in a few ways. Some also say that Jon is Rhaegar and Lyanna's son, but is not the same boy as Aegon. Conspiracies about.

Daiephir

likes peanut butter
Reaction score
So, finished A Clash Of Kings a few days ago, started reading A Sword Of Storms. I love this series thus far, although I've heard A Feast For Crows is a bit of a let down compared to the three books before it. Anyone care to weigh in on that?

Also, there's been one early review of A Dance With Dragons published, although it's very brief. It IS positive, however, but also a bit spoilerific. Apparently the book starts to answer some questions about...

Jon Snow's true parentage. Personally, I think he's actually Rhaegar Targaryen's son Aegon, born from Lyanna Stark. Some theories posit however that Samwell Tarly is actually Aegon, which also makes sense in a few ways. Some also say that Jon is Rhaegar and Lyanna's son, but is not the same boy as Aegon. Conspiracies about.

It's not really a let down, it's just not as good as the other 3 :lol: seriously though, I didn't see what the fuss is about on the fourth one, it's still the same series...

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
It's not really a let down, it's just not as good as the other 3 :lol: seriously though, I didn't see what the fuss is about on the fourth one, it's still the same series...

Its just a bit hard to get through - shitloads of new characters/POVs, a lot of new plotlines, and actually most people just wanted to know whats up with the previous POVs. Because lets face it - A Storm Of Swords is just BADASS and leaves you with an epic "WTF?!?!!?"...

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Just finished A Storm of Swords last night, and holy hell, it was awesome! It's no wonder people would view A Feast For Crows as a letdown (I'll be starting to read it tonight), what could possibly match that??

Martin's pacing has just proven unbeatable thus far, and he has a real penchant for making you go either "FUCK YEAH!" or "FUCK NO!" in ways that never come off as seeming contrived. I can't wait to be through A Feast For Crows and starting on A Dance With Dragons. And just in case I read through it too fast (I finished The Wise Man's Fear in three days), I picked up "The Way of Kings" by Brandon Sanderson to tide me over, as I've heard excellent things about it.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
Just finished Clash of Kings, starting Storm of Swords tonight. I'm hooked on this series. Everyone keep them spoiler tags up; I can't keep pace with Xaios. But south of the wall we have other things to occupy our time. :lol:

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
Just finished A Storm of Swords last night, and holy hell, it was awesome! It's no wonder people would view A Feast For Crows as a letdown (I'll be starting to read it tonight), what could possibly match that??

Martin's pacing has just proven unbeatable thus far, and he has a real penchant for making you go either "FUCK YEAH!" or "FUCK NO!" in ways that never come off as seeming contrived
Amazing, isnt it?

The "red wedding"

was probably the most extreme "OH! MY! FUCKING! GOD!" moment I ever had reading a book. When I read that first, it was like 1:00 a.m. and I couldnt sleep, telling myself "I'll read another chapter, maybe that helps..." - good fucking god did it NOT help, I almost jumped out of the bed when I finished that chapter....and read further until 4:00 am... :lol:

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Amazing, isnt it?

The "red wedding"

was probably the most extreme "OH! MY! FUCKING! GOD!" moment I ever had reading a book. When I read that first, it was like 1:00 a.m. and I couldnt sleep, telling myself "I'll read another chapter, maybe that helps..." - good fucking god did it NOT help, I almost jumped out of the bed when I finished that chapter....and read further until 4:00 am... :lol:

Aye, that part was nuts. There's only one scene from any book I've read (a relatively short list, granted) that had a more visceral impact on me:

In "The Wise Man's Fear" by Patrick Rothfuss, the protagonist has been charged with leading a small band of soldiers and scouts to find and deal with a group of highwaymen of unknown size, somewhere in the middle of a great forest. They locate the group, only to discover it's practically a garrison of people in a closed off compound. They move in under the cover of darkness during a thunder storm and kill one of the patrols. In order to take out most of the other highwaymen, the protagonist begins to magically "bind" the corpse of the patrol to the live bodies of the other enemies still in the compound, and then begins to stab the corpse wildly, which in effect also kills whoever the corpse is bound to at the time. All the while the people he is leading, who are highly distrustful of magic users, are loosing arrows at the compound while simultaneously watching him use his "dark powers" to kill from a distance, basically saying "God help us" as they look on.

I don't really do it justice describing it, but trust me, if you ever read it, it's a REALLY harrowing scene, the kind where your eyes get big and your heart starts pounding and you even start to breath heavy.

Also: Man Throws Cousin Through Window Debating Game of Thrones - The Hollywood Reporter :lol:

Bekanor

Renegade Folk Hero
Reaction score
I've just started watching the series, Sean Bean is fucking awesome.

Straight away I want to see the Lannisters get cut in half. Fuck them and their incest, Starks FTW!

Also I want a pet direwolf, they look like the best poopeh dogs ever!

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
I figure enough time has passed since this episode aired that I can post this. This dude is PISSED!! :lol: