Guitars you are/were completely blown away by....

• Thread starter mystix
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

guitar4tw

Reaction score
I need to add my 2009 Schecter Loomis to this thread. Whenever I pick it up it brings a smile to my face, and never stops amazing me with just how well it plays. If I remember correctly it cost under 900$ when I bought it new back then, but it certainly feels and plays like a guitar that could have cost twice that amount.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Do you count basses? And one's that we don't actually own? :lol:
Every time I come across a Geddy sig Jazz bass I have to play it. Or rather, it's more like I hold the instrument and it plays itself. If I had any need for another bass, this is what I'd be looking for.

Haun

Reaction score
Had the chance to finally try a Strandberg Boden Original 8 just last october... Have had no desire at all to buy new guitars since... I need one. Soooo bad...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Aliascent

Reaction score
The first ESP Horizon I ever played (2005ish NT II model, in red). Couldn't find a single fault with that guitar, and I've played many more over the years, still haven't found a bad one.

Jackson fusion USA. I got to try one while I was buying another Jackson from a friendly seller. He let me try it, and that neck profile was to die for, and it was set up so well that you almost didn't feel the strings.
I've rarely seen anything that comfortable.

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
Currently being blown away by this thing. The Charvel Dk24...

I've played Ibanez and Fender style guitars my whole life. For a while I've been realizing that my needs as a guitar player today lie somewhere in the middle of both of these styles. So, when I got the chance to visit some Guitar Centers in Atlanta (none where I live) I played an Ibanez AZ Premium and one of these the same day. Being that they are seemingly in direct competition with each other I figured they would play somewhat similarly, and yes, while they do have similar stuff going on (2 Point non locking Trem, 24 frets, luminlays, etc.) this guitar just FLOORED ME. I play a mixture of jazz, blues, funk and occasionally metal. This guitar does it all, and encourages me to play better.

I have no idea why, either. I own some pretty awesome guitars (Ibanez RGT3120, UV777BK, a USA Fender Tele and Strat) and I've never played a guitar that felt so out of the way yet completely capable. The input jack placement is brilliant. The matte finish feels good when my arm is on the cutaway. The frets are big, the neck shape and compound radius is perfect for my hands, the locking tuners do their job. The tremolo has no slop and has the amount of touch sensitivity I crave. Only gripe is the pickups can be a little peak-y in the treble, but thankfully that can be swapped. After 15 years, I've finally found a guitar that I feel is designed for me - it's conservative, yet RIPS. I can only imagine what a high-spec Suhr Modern feels like, but to be honest, this just about does it for me- it's similar enough to both my Ibanez Prestige and my American Special Fender that I feel confident it can deliver both tones with ease.

Sorry for the long post, but wanted to share my thoughts. I LOVE this instrument. Don't let the Made in Mexico label deter you if you are on the fence, I cannot find any glaring flaws in this guitar that MIM and other import guitars are known for. Bravo, Charvel.

Attachments

• jwstb6fgc31jvthtl2y0.jpg
    jwstb6fgc31jvthtl2y0.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 29

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Currently being blown away by this thing. The Charvel Dk24...

I've played Ibanez and Fender style guitars my whole life. For a while I've been realizing that my needs as a guitar player today lie somewhere in the middle of both of these styles. So, when I got the chance to visit some Guitar Centers in Atlanta (none where I live) I played an Ibanez AZ Premium and one of these the same day. Being that they are seemingly in direct competition with each other I figured they would play somewhat similarly, and yes, while they do have similar stuff going on (2 Point non locking Trem, 24 frets, luminlays, etc.) this guitar just FLOORED ME. I play a mixture of jazz, blues, funk and occasionally metal. This guitar does it all, and encourages me to play better.

I have no idea why, either. I own some pretty awesome guitars (Ibanez RGT3120, UV777BK, a USA Fender Tele and Strat) and I've never played a guitar that felt so out of the way yet completely capable. The input jack placement is brilliant. The matte finish feels good when my arm is on the cutaway. The frets are big, the neck shape and compound radius is perfect for my hands, the locking tuners do their job. The tremolo has no slop and has the amount of touch sensitivity I crave. Only gripe is the pickups can be a little peak-y in the treble, but thankfully that can be swapped. After 15 years, I've finally found a guitar that I feel is designed for me - it's conservative, yet RIPS. I can only imagine what a high-spec Suhr Modern feels like, but to be honest, this just about does it for me- it's similar enough to both my Ibanez Prestige and my American Special Fender that I feel confident it can deliver both tones with ease.

Sorry for the long post, but wanted to share my thoughts. I LOVE this instrument. Don't let the Made in Mexico label deter you if you are on the fence, I cannot find any glaring flaws in this guitar that MIM and other import guitars are known for. Bravo, Charvel.
I actually finally got around to playing one of these over the weekend. I definitely wouldn't say I was blown away, but I was really surprised. I honestly really loved it and for the price, it's definitely worth it. If the pink or blue one ever goes on sale or a used one pops up, I'm definitely buying one. It was definitely a very inspiring guitar to play.

TunedToB

Reaction score
I was mostly an LTD player and was saving up for an ESP because I've tried some spectacular ones and wanted a piece of that in my life.

Cut to 2017 when I came across an RGA121 prestige (the violin finish one) with BKPs at a pretty good price. I never liked Ibbies until I bought that one - It just drips in mojo, is extremely resonant, and it's just a joy to play.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
I need to add my 2009 Schecter Loomis to this thread. Whenever I pick it up it brings a smile to my face, and never stops amazing me with just how well it plays. If I remember correctly it cost under 900$ when I bought it new back then, but it certainly feels and plays like a guitar that could have cost twice that amount.

:yesway:

Dude, I have a first year one and it is amazing. I think I paid around $800 or less because MF had a sale back when their coupons actually worked on everything. I have all kinds of custom shop Gibsons, PS PRS, etc... and everyone that plays the Loomis thinks it holds it's own with them. The only complaint was I had a humidifier in my guitar room back then and it caused the trem and hardware to slightly oxidize. But it plays 10/10 and sounds 10/10. I'm not an EMG guy, but wow for whatever reason they sure work in that guitar.

Bdtunn

Reaction score
I picked up a dean Razorback v USA model for an INSAIN price and I mean insain (brand new). Narrow nut, flat radius, 24.75”, and that soft v neck. Well I was blown away by this one. Soooooo he had another one and I bought it as well :)

duffbeer33

Reaction score
PRS MIKE MUSHOK Signature. Just an unbelievable guitar for the price, as far as build quality, tuning stability, and growl. (If you can still find them used).

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My Parker twins.

I played my first Parker when I was maybe... 14 years old? Daddy's Junky Music had a few of them, I know for sure one of them was a Nightfly but I believe there were at least one or two variations of the original Fly. I remember thinking there was no way I'd ever own one and they were the gold standard for a guitar for me for a long time. Never played one again for all throughout HS and most of my adult life.

Fast forward 15 years, I recently fell out of love with all the guitars I had currently owned, recently got a decent bonus check from work, so I sold everything off and decided I'd get one or two guitars (vs the dozen or so I had at the time) that checked the most boxes for me. I weight a lot of options, I think I came closest to getting one or two PRS Cu24s, then I gave Parker another look and realized they were literally exactly everything I liked in a guitar. I'm a TZ/AN fan (which came stock), wanted a piezo, wanted a floating bridge, wanted something light and something with neck reinforcement.

So I found a deal on the Galaxy Grey one on the left, ordered it and within a day, the Butterscotch burst one popped up and I still had enough money in my account to cover it, so I went from no Parkers to two before the first one even arrived. They both played exactly as I remembered from 15 years earlier and quickly became the two piece of gear I own that are absolutely irreplaceable.

DSC_0930.JPG

Edika

Reaction score
Three guitars I was blown away with so far from the first moment I picked them and played them. That includes playability, comfort and sound as I have others that are either lacking in one department but are great nevertheless or needed a bit of tweaking to get up there.

First was my Ibanez RG20063 puzzletop
DSCN2807.jpg
Before playing this guitar I never understood the appeal of Ibanez guitars. This was hanging on the wall of a guitar shop for 5 years and I always thought it was overpriced. Every summer in France they have a dsicount, clearance period where each year the discount for this was getting steeper and steeper. After being in this site for 3 years and my 5th year in France, I started to change my mind on Ibanez guitars and saw a really good dsicount for the guitar. So I decided to go and try it out just for laughs. I had no intention of buying it. It was one of those moments where everything felt just right, from the feel to the sound of the instrument. I ended up changing the pickups but they were really good regardless. It took me about 3 years to change them. But it was just love at first touch.

Second is my Jackson SL2H Black Ghost Flames.
9974c042-fb30-49d5-9e24-fb1aa3483d5f_zpsgvxp8j8t.jpg

I have another SL2H that I got before this one which I really love but I had other high end guitars and it didn't really stand out that much plus it had the Dimarzio Blaze pickups that were nice but not my favourite. But when I got this one, plugged it in and played it I was ecstatic. The JB and 59 work so well and in E that I'm not changing anything about it. Not even the string gauge that it's 9-42 and I prefer 10-46 in E standard. It just has that mojo.

Finally my most recent acquirement the Gibson Gothic Explorer.
IMG_20181214_225829_HHT.jpg

I tried a Voodoo one several years ago and was really impressed. Then about 6 years back I tried a Gothic one that someone was offering as a trade for my Mesa OS 4x12. The guitar was pretty beat up cosmetically but played and sounded wonderfully. I compared it with an Explorer of that year that had the 500T/496R pickup Combe and it smoked it. I needed the money however and didn't feel it was a fair trade as the cab was mint. Plus I liked the sound a lot and would end up keeping it or have a hard time reselling it. But I always kept this guitar in the back of my mind. I've seen a few sell the past few years and always felt they were too beat up for the price they were asking. Until this came along and while the price was not a bargain it was good for the condition. I was afraid until it arrived as I've heard horror stories about Gibson's inconsistencies. But when it got here, plugged it in and hit that first E chord it was orgasm city. Plus the neck is super comfy and quite thin. I had so much fun playing it I couldn't believe it.

Attachments

• 9974c042-fb30-49d5-9e24-fb1aa3483d5f_zpsgvxp8j8t.jpg
    9974c042-fb30-49d5-9e24-fb1aa3483d5f_zpsgvxp8j8t.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
PRS MIKE MUSHOK Signature. Just an unbelievable guitar for the price, as far as build quality, tuning stability, and growl. (If you can still find them used).
dude my mushok is one of my favorite guitars. Something about longer scales and all mahogany construction just meshes for me. Nearly every pickup I've run through that guitar has sounded good in it, which is super uncommon ime. It just has mojo, especially with the mcp afwayu I have in it right now.

BMO

Geetarist
Reaction score
My Fender Jim Root Jazzmaster. I never knew quality in instruments until I ordered one and took it out of the case. It has master level craftsmanship but that isn't what I love about it the most. What I love the most about it is that it is a workhorse WITH that level of craftsmanship. It has no frills or things that make it stand out. It has what you need and that's it. But oddly enough that makes it a guitar with everything one would want too. High output pickups, a comfy bridge and a comfy neck with wonderful frets. As a plus, that matte finish they put on it is such a good choice. It wears in quickly wherever your hands are most and turns it from Jim's signature guitar to YOUR signature guitar. Jim is a master at designing an instrument and I think sets the standard of what a signature guitar should be: It's his guitar in your eyes and the eyes of anyone who's a diehard fan, but in everyone else's it's yours and yours alone. He made a blank slate for you to do what you want with and to it. Personally, I slapped a circular sticker of Billy from SAW right past the bridge.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Anytime I pick up an Ibanez Prestige after having not played one for a while. Wizard necks are something else.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
dude my mushok is one of my favorite guitars. Something about longer scales and all mahogany construction just meshes for me. Nearly every pickup I've run through that guitar has sounded good in it, which is super uncommon ime. It just has mojo, especially with the mcp afwayu I have in it right now.

I never got on with the stock pickups but the fit and finish on the couple I've played were top notch and the acoustic resonance was notable. I'm not much of a baritone guy but that's the one that's always been tempting.