Ibanez 2011

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What kinda DiMarzios is that? :scratch:

They're the DiMarzio/IBZ pickup, they're made by DiMarzio in the USA at their facility for Ibanez. They're basically slightly tweaked and re-branded versions of existing DiMarzio pickups.

Official DiMarzio Website FAQ said:
DiMarzio®/IBZ pickups

The DiMarzio®/IBZ pickups in the Ibanez RG2120 and RG2570EX are specifically designed and manufactured by DiMarzio® for Ibanez, and they are not available separately. Like all DiMarzio® pickups, they are made in our New York factory. Both neck and bridge pickups are high-output models. The neck pickup is fairly bright-sounding, similar to a Super 2™ (DP104). The bridge pickup is a little louder and warmer-sounding, and resembles a cross between the Steve Morse Bridge Model™ (DP200) and the Super Distortion® (DP100). The R1 single-coil is warmer-sounding than a typical vintage single-coil, and was designed to work well with the neck and bridge humbuckers when they are in split mode. It has a sound similar to that of the HS-2™ in split-coil mode.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fabe_sd

Reaction score
Actually there is an unfinished RG920QMZ in the vid that was posted.
Though the quality ain´t good since it´s a screenshot from a vid I´m positive it´s a veneer (and negative at the same time :D )

Attachments

• Ibanez RG920QMZ naked.jpg
    Ibanez RG920QMZ naked.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 119

aleXander

BlackByPopularDemand
Reaction score
Actually there is an unfinished RG920QMZ in the vid that was posted.
Though the quality ain´t good since it´s a screenshot from a vid I´m positive it´s a veneer (and negative at the same time :D )

I can't really tell at all from that pic.
but wether or not its a veneer or cap the premiums look great.

atimoc

deus ex machina
Contributor
Reaction score
Those quilted premiums look great with their Suhr vibe, and I want one already... It's just that no matter what Ibanez releases at NAMM, I always have a very difficult time justifying the purchase of their new trem-equipped 6-strings when there are RG550s available for so little $$.

potatohead

Reaction score
Why is it so important that it not be a veneer? Prestige S and RGs (Not RGAs ;) ) just have veneers, why would a MII be any different?

And wow, Angel vivaldi playing in the Premium video!

I think most of it's mental, but it's for the tone changes the maple cap provides over basswood.

And I agree, I don't think there is any way this is not a veneer.

-Oracle-

BRAINZZZ!!!
Reaction score
I think most of it's mental, but it's for the tone changes the maple cap provides over basswood.

And I agree, I don't think there is any way this is not a veneer.

Veneer or not, the maple cap should be fairly thick to notice an audible difference, which is never going to happen on a "budget" production instrument.

Just my 0.02 ;)

jl-austin

Reaction score
A premium RG7 would just about put Agile out of business in my opinion. Not hating on Agile, never played one, just sayin.....

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
A premium RG7 would just about put Agile out of business in my opinion. Not hating on Agile, never played one, just sayin.....

Because Agile's whole business hinges on the tops on their seven string superstrats. :scratch:

Looking at the trem route in the picture, I think that we are seeing one of the thinnest caps possible. A super thin cap, theoretically, should brighten the highs a little and not affect the lows, unless it's really hard material like ebony.

Metal_Maniac

Reaction score

+1 :yesway:
Ever since i saw the RG Premium Series, all i kept thinking was when they gonna bring out a Premium RG7!

JacobShredder

Reaction score
not sure if anyone has pointed this out but does the premium series get the same titanium reinforcement rods as the 3xxx prestige guitars?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
not sure if anyone has pointed this out but does the premium series get the same titanium reinforcement rods as the 3xxx prestige guitars?

Apparently not, as it neither has the KTS logo on the back of the headstock, nor is it mentioned in any of the product literature.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
ok, so is the premium series "better" than the prestige?

Depends on what you mean by "better", and which specific models you're talking about.

It's looking like they're more of an addition to the higher end range than something meant to compete directly with it. They're essentially the cheaper Indo guitars but with better pickups and fretwork.

JacobShredder

Reaction score
167092_489258451215_669306215_6668624_1310510_n.jpg

This is the premium neck minus the fretboard...looks like some sort of reiforcement to me?

JacobShredder

Reaction score
True, but that doesn't mean they're titanium rods from KTS. ;)

This is true, I shouldve omitted the titanium part. but the addition of the rods look promising.

I'm now adding these to the "possible final 6 string" list, I wonder how they'll stack up against Rasmus =P

Latest posts