Ibanez 2019 New Stuff

• Thread starter Sogradde
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So is there like a page showing all the new Ibanez stuff? Any good looking 7's? (and by that, I mean, good to the average person, not someone who plays customs all the time.)

There's a link a couple pages back of some models that GuitarGuitar (a shop in the UK) let out of the bag a little early.

If the past is any indicator, the US will probably get a few of these UK region models, typically in different finishes.

The official releases for what we, US, will be getting aren't going to be out until early next year, barring a retailer letting the cat out of the bag early.

So anyone not in the UK should be cautious about falling for any of these models, as there is no guarantee any of them will make it to North America.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Great point that these specific models might not make it to the US. But I assume that overall the States will see at least some of these series coming to the US. The big news to me seems to be a 5000 Prestige series with stainless steel frets and ash bodies, which at least I like a lot. And a some series similar to the Iron Labels but with maybe fancier specs. Presumably each region will get some examples of 6, 7, and 8 strings in these various series, though the finishes and such might differ.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Great point that these specific models might not make it to the US. But I assume that overall the States will see at least some of these series coming to the US. The big news to me seems to be a 5000 Prestige series with stainless steel frets and ash bodies, which at least I like a lot. And a some series similar to the Iron Labels but with maybe fancier specs. Presumably each region will get some examples of 6, 7, and 8 strings in these various series, though the finishes and such might differ.

We'll definitely get some cool stuff, being the biggest single market we typically get even more stuff, and with no Edge Zeros in sight, these are all fair game to make it over here.

Again, I think it's stupid on Ibanez' part to further dilute the Prestige series, but it doesn't seem too bad so far.

I await the endless "is 5000 series better than Prestige" and "should I get an Iron Label or Axion Label" threads. :lol:

cardinal

Reaction score
Seems like the 5000 series is part of the "prestige" line, just with SS frets? Looks like there will be at least 3000 series as well, with typical nickel frets. It was more confusing with the Genesis line which was MiJ but for some reason not labeled "Prestige" (maybe just to keep the logo off the headstock for old-times sake?).

Having both the Axion Label and Iron Label seems odd, but originally the Iron Label was supposed to be this black-out METAL stuff, I think. So maybe they will just return the Iron Label to that and make the funky/trendy finishes as Axion Label, which might actually help with some confusion.

Positive way to look at it, I guess, is that Ibanez will be offering a ton of models to populate all of those series (I guess there will be Prestige (with at least a few different levels of specs), Premium, Axion label, Iron Label, and Standard?), so at least there will be plenty of variety. MiJ no-brainer quality. Premiums with the fancy spec sheets. Axion with funky finishes. Iron Label with stripped down and black feature sets. And then the Standard stuff.

Last edited:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Seems like the 5000 series is part of the "prestige" line, just with SS frets? It was more confusing with the Genesis line which was MiJ but for some reason not labeled "Prestige" (maybe just to keep the logo off the headstock for old-times sake?).

Having both the Axion Label and Iron Label seems odd, but originally the Iron Label was supposed to be this black-out METAL stuff, I think. So maybe they will just return the Iron Label to that and make the funky/trendy finishes as Axion Label, which might actually help with some confusion.

Positive way to look at it, I guess, is that Ibanez will be offering a ton of models to populate all of those series (I guess there will be Prestige (with at least a few different levels of specs), Premium, Axion label, Iron Label, and Standard?), so at least there will be plenty of variety. MiJ no-brainer quality. Premiums with the fancy spec sheets. Axion with funky finishes. Iron Label with stripped down and black feature sets. And then the Standard stuff.

I completely understand what they're trying to do, but I'm a guitar nerd. Specifically a guitar nerd that knows too much about Ibanez for their own good. :lol:

I just don't think it's wise to fragment the range so much. Your average Joe guitar player will probably be more confused by this, as it's going to throw out all reasonable naming conventions...again, and bring unneeded complexity to what was once a very straight forward product lineup.

I also thought it was dumb to label the reissues of the RG5 models a different series.

Metropolis

Reaction score
In the Axion Label series specs there was mentioned "subzero fret treatment", wonder what that really is :scratch:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Most likely, why not to just make better fretwork without any marketing gimmicks.

They're probably trying to play off those "cryogenic" strings that some folks are really into.

They can't really guarantee better fretwork, but they can guarantee they applied some mumbo-jumbo to the fret material to give it magic powers.

cip 123

Reaction score
I think guitarguitar found out. The models were removed from site
Glad I posted the link last night haha.

If it says avaliable to order on there it should be new. Those sterling models though I don't think they're "new" are new coming in haven't seen many in the UK at all.

I'll keep my eye on the page though doubt they'll make another leak.

cardinal

Reaction score
They're probably trying to play off those "cryogenic" strings that some folks are really into.

They can't really guarantee better fretwork, but they can guarantee they applied some mumbo-jumbo to the fret material to give it magic powers.

I think the cryogenic treatments really do help harden steel and ferric metals, but I think normal frets are mostly brass and some nickel? I don't know that cryogenic treatment has been show to do much for those alloys, so i seems a bit weird here unless they are cryogenic treated SS frets, which seems like complete overkill.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
I actually love it because it's every meme/gripe about modern metal presented in one offensive package :p

It's got a flame top though, needs a shitty burl one :lol:
--
Looks like Ibanez is killin' it this year so far, though. I've counted like 3 guitars I want to pick up so far, which is definitely more than recent years. Nice to see some interesting Prestiges get released again.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think the cryogenic treatments really do help harden steel and ferric metals, but I think normal frets are mostly brass and some nickel? I don't know that cryogenic treatment has been show to do much for those alloys, so i seems a bit weird here unless they are cryogenic treated SS frets, which seems like complete overkill.

I'm sure there's something to the process itself, it's more of the application of it that I'm not optimistic of.

ExileMetal

Reaction score
I'm hoping there's more interesting stuff for US catalog. The best offering by far is the 2027; mostly disappointed that the 8 string model is intensely boring. I wonder why they didn't just make the 8 string version of the RGR that already exists in an 8 string format; it's 75% of that guitar but has absolutely none of the appeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.