Ibanez 2023 Models ! What would you like to see ?

• Thread starter Inanimate100
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KentBrockman

Bite back with Kent Brockman!
Reaction score
Does anyone here actually use the RG/S 5-way switching system?

I've been playing Ibanez guitars since 2009. I’ve played around with the 2 and 4 positions but never ended up using them. It was always 1 and 5. I don’t even use my middle option unless it’s on an HSH model and I want to use the single coil. Anyone else like this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score

I've been playing Ibanez guitars since 2009. I’ve played around with the 2 and 4 positions but never ended up using them. It was always 1 and 5. I don’t even use my middle option unless it’s on an HSH model and I want to use the single coil. Anyone else like this?

Yes. Even more so once I started installing Mad Hatter Terminator stuff on my main RGs. I practically live on position 4 for cleans. The only time I ditched a 5 way was on one of my RGs with 2 HSP90s, and installed a Tele 3 way instead.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
Is this the real life?
Is it just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide
No escape from reality

Really Ibanez, is that all you've got?
1698992777528.png

Stiman

Reaction score

Oh hell ya.
On HSH layout:
Position 1 for rhythm,
Position 5 for leads,
Position 2, 3 & 4 for different flavours of cleans

Same goes for HSS

Then on my RG752 (HH layout), position 2 & 4 sound amazing clean, position 3 is useless to me on all HH guitars.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
No show is better than poor show?

The fretless acoustic bass and the wah are something. Sure it's not another RG or some nostalgia reissue everyone wants but won't get, but they're something. Personally, even if nobody here wants the acoustic fretless bass, I think it's great, especially when those kind of instruments don't happen often, let alone with most brands.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
The fretless acoustic bass and the wah are something. Sure it's not another RG or some nostalgia reissue everyone wants but won't get, but they're something. Personally, even if nobody here wants the acoustic fretless bass, I think it's great, especially when those kind of instruments don't happen often, let alone with most brands.
Yup, that's a nice thing
It's just that the month is underwhelming
Or, to put it better, it's a shame to see it in the midst of a plush and some pins.

OneTwoThrill

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I use the 2/4 positions on my JEM all the time. Granted, I’ll use an actual Strat on a recording if that’s the tone I’m going for, but in regular use I’m always on those positions, especially now that I’ve entered my pre-boomer years of digging edge of breakup tones.
I always use 4 positions but never the middle one (2 HB in parallel).
Others in both clean, crunch and high gain mode.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I use them all but generally use neck or bridge for any tones and 2 or 4 for cleans/spacey/ambient tones, whether it's HH or HSH.

I'll use the middle position on any guitar for tracking rhythm parts or clean parts. I always try it out when recording anything to see if it fits tonally.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score

Yes, I switch to position 4 / 2 for cleaner sections, where 5 / 1 would be a bit much. I routinely do this for cleaner chorded sections that are sandwiched between higher gain power chords / leads, as it's quicker than rolling back the volume pot plus either dialling back the amp gain or disengaging a distortion/overdrive pedal (one switch to adjust instead of two, to achieve a similar outcome). As all of my guitars are equipped with fairly high output pickups, positions 2 & 4 make sense for any styles where a lower output humbucker or singlecoil pickup would be more appropriate.

Now that I've recently acquired an FM3, with which presets / scenes should be as quick and seamless as a pickup change, it will be interesting to see whether I find myself switching pickups less often. I haven't spent much time with it yet though.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score

I do actually, quite often. Not am RG, but I absolutely LOVE the 5 switch with the coil split switch on my AZ. However, it is very dependent on which pickups I am using. I uave an RGA121 with a D Activator in the bridge and a BKP Emerald in the neck, and I don't really like the middle positions very much. On the other hand, my PIA gets A TON of play time in the middle 3 positions, almost as much as positions 1 and 5.

Even if I don't use the middle positions as often, I like the fact that I have many different sounds available at the flick of a switch on my guitar should I ever feel like using something different. How playtime the middle positions get is dependent on how the pickups sound amd combine with one another.

nickgray

Reaction score
RGs with 24.75 scale
donald duck.jpg

Sure, it's a neat system. The 2nd position (split neck + split bridge) is what Petrucci uses for cleans, it gets you this neat chimey piano-like sound. 4th is neck in parallel, also pretty nice for cleans and good for crunch tones too, it's less muddy and chimier than neck in series.

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score

I've just recorded a solo using position 4 on my S7420 with a Dimarzio Paf -with the tone rolled off- (I know it's against the rules) for a good 80% of the section.

I've never used it prior and I wouldn't bother live where only positions 1 and 5 exist.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The 2nd position (split neck + split bridge) is what Petrucci uses for cleans, it gets you this neat chimey piano-like sound
I like that position on my 1527 with the stock pickups. It almost has a piezo vibe to it.

Reaction score
I like that position on my 1527 with the stock pickups. It almost has a piezo vibe to it.
... well.... not quite, but I get your point. When I don't have piezos, I'll use either single coils, parallel wired humbuckers or even parallel wired inner coils in either HH or HSH guitars...

... position 2 and 4 on HSH or in most HH guitars are 2 parallel wired coils, either from one of the hums and the single coil (on HH guitars), only one humbucker or from both humbuckers (on HH guitars).

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
... well.... not quite, but I get your point. When I don't have piezos, I'll use either single coils, parallel wired humbuckers or even parallel wired inner coils in either HH or HSH guitars...

... position 2 and 4 on HSH or in most HH guitars are 2 parallel wired coils, either from one of the hums and the single coil (on HH guitars), only one humbucker or from both humbuckers (on HH guitars).
Definitely not the same as a real piezo! The 1527 has this crisp quality to it in that position that none of my other guitars have; whether they have coil taps or any kind of single coil pickup.

Your 7's with piezos are really cool, we'll see if I get motivated enough to try that one day 😅

Reaction score
Definitely not the same as a real piezo! The 1527 has this crisp quality to it in that position that none of my other guitars have; whether they have coil taps or any kind of single coil pickup.

Your 7's with piezos are really cool, we'll see if I get motivated enough to try that one day 😅
That 1527 is suitable to receive a piezo mod without much trouble, although dome routing is required...

RevelGTR

Reaction score
I can't believe the rgd is almost 14 years old now.
lol yeah I remember seeing it for the first time in Ibanez’s NAMM announcements in the computer lab at my middle school, I would rush through all the typing assignments and then browse guitar websites and this place.