Ibanez 2023 Models ! What would you like to see ?

• Thread starter Inanimate100
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
More low end guitars with cool finishes like the GRG121SPBMC. Like a 7 string gio with metallic paint. Less open pore satin brown and black.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
That article is almost a year old, according to the date at the top!

I did a google search for "Ibanez Axe Design Lab" and that article is the only one that comes up.
It's not actually a year old, it's a placeholder for 2023. I'd wager it gets announced on that exact date, but in 2023.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
It's not actually a year old, it's a placeholder for 2023. I'd wager it gets announced on that exact date, but in 2023.
Interesting.

Anyway, I'd love a seven string or, even better, an eight with 27 frets, but no way I'd be in a situation to drop ~$3k on something like that. Still, major kudos to Ibanez for offering more frets.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
Interesting.

Anyway, I'd love a seven string or, even better, an eight with 27 frets, but no way I'd be in a situation to drop ~$3k on something like that. Still, major kudos to Ibanez for offering more frets.
Wasn’t there a smallish run of 30 fret RGs sometime in the 2010s? It was a little fugly because the horns were so scooped, but it seems like they like to tinker with this every once in a while.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
Wasn’t there a smallish run of 30 fret RGs sometime in the 2010s? It was a little fugly because the horns were so scooped, but it seems like they like to tinker with this every once in a while.
Yes and they also did a 27-fret Xiphos in the late '00s.

smck96

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd like an iron/axion label with BKPs and just in general for more love to be given to the axion line. They were doing a lot of cool stuff with it and I'd hate to see it go away.
Do we know when new stuff will be announced?

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm amused by the people talking shit on the new RGA. I got to play one at a dealer conference in Amsterdam last week, and it's absolutely mind blowing. It feels amazing, sounds amazing, and the price is very fair given RGAs cost more to produce than RGs. The Jake Bowen model is almost the same thing and is 25% more.

Speaking of which, the JBM100 is the best playing, best sounding Ibanez I have ever owned. The idea that some people are like "Mahogany EWWW!" shows complete lack of experience. Just because you played some shitty guitars with (likely knock-off) mahogany, doesnt mean Mahogany isn't a good thing. Many of the best sounding Ibanez of all time have had Mahogany bodies (J-Customs, K7, RGA, JBM, you name it).

And stainless steel frets are nice, but until 5 years ago no one gave a shit. The Japanese really dont obsess over ss frets, which is why ESP guitars almost never gave them.

It's 2022. €2199/$2499 is a very fair price for a high-end Japanese arch top with Lo Pro, gold hardware, etc. Look at almost every other company's prices now. Most have jumped up 15-25% in the past couple years. Ibanez has kept prices steady, with minuscule price jumps if any.

Anyways, I am very excited about many of the models that will be announced on January 1st. I am vocal Ibanez critic in spite of my good relationship with them, but they are killing it in 2023. So many people will be so happy with many of their offerings.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
I'm amused by the people talking shit on the new RGA. I got to play one at a dealer conference in Amsterdam last week, and it's absolutely mind blowing. It feels amazing, sounds amazing, and the price is very fair given RGAs cost more to produce than RGs. The Jake Bowen model is almost the same thing and is 25% more.

Speaking of which, the JBM100 is the best playing, best sounding Ibanez I have ever owned. The idea that some people are like "Mahogany EWWW!" shows complete lack of experience. Just because you played some shitty guitars with (likely knock-off) mahogany, doesnt mean Mahogany isn't a good thing. Many of the best sounding Ibanez of all time have had Mahogany bodies (J-Customs, K7, RGA, JBM, you name it).

And stainless steel frets are nice, but until 5 years ago no one gave a shit. The Japanese really dont obsess over ss frets, which is why ESP guitars almost never gave them.

It's 2022. €2199/$2499 is a very fair price for a high-end Japanese arch top with Lo Pro, gold hardware, etc. Look at almost every other company's prices now. Most have jumped up 15-25% in the past couple years. Ibanez has kept prices steady, with minuscule price jumps if any.

Anyways, I am very excited about many of the models that will be announced on January 1st. I am vocal Ibanez critic in spite of my good relationship with them, but they are killing it in 2023. So many people will be so happy with many of their offerings.
Glad to hear that these are killer. With specs like that it’s hard not to want one, but I don’t really ever use 6s anymore, sadly. I’d love for a rework of Jake’s 7 string models. Maybe something more in line with the new sig as well. Regardless, I’m hopeful this new line will put out some ace guitars.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Glad to hear that these are killer. With specs like that it’s hard not to want one, but I don’t really ever use 6s anymore, sadly. I’d love for a rework of Jake’s 7 string models. Maybe something more in line with the new sig as well. Regardless, I’m hopeful this new line will put out some ace guitars.

No JBM/RGA7s this year, but some very cool new 7s are coming that I think you will dig.

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That RGA is a bunch of random goofy specs slapped together so let me propose this also very goofy set of specs.

RGD(R)(T!)7
lo pro
not shit pickups

also would like to see a remake of the RG60ALS bc I almost bought that even with my least favorite trem and pickup on it (fuck the edge zero ii and fusion edge), just give me a sustainer

scallops would be fun and silly I think and so would massive scale lengths

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
M8M with a proper lo pro, scalloped fretboard, hsh pickups, some metallic paint and pearl neck binding.

KentBrockman

Bite back with Kent Brockman!
Reaction score
So when do we actually find out about the new models? Is it January 1st?

KentBrockman

Bite back with Kent Brockman!
Reaction score
They need to make that J Line a full on real thing. Those J Line RGs are exactly the style I'm looking for. Bare bones clean looks made in Japan. I would love a J Line RG7.
I concur. Kind of like how the lower end Prestiges used to look in the 2000s and early 2010s. We don’t all want to fancy Fishmans and weird finishes. I can be content with a plain dark finish, nice rosewood neck, V pickups (which I’ll switch out anyway), and AANJ. No bright colors and no tilt joint Genesis for me!

jonsick

Reaction score
Solid colours (front and back), no more direct mounted pickups (pickup rings please). Otherwise, just carry on doing what they're doing. Probably one of the top shelf manufacturers these days.