If money was no object, what's your dream amp?

• Thread starter jco5055
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cynicanal

Reaction score
I’m surprised at how many people would choose a Marshall or Marshall-style amp
Why? Pretty much every guitar-oriented band has used a Marshall-voiced amp at some point. They sit well in a mix, they've got enough gain for anything when boosted, and they've got a great feel to them. That combination of traits makes them evergreen uber-desirable amps.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Why? Pretty much every guitar-oriented band has used a Marshall-voiced amp at some point. They sit well in a mix, they've got enough gain for anything when boosted, and they've got a great feel to them. That combination of traits makes them evergreen uber-desirable amps.

I just didn’t expect it on this forum. Nothing against Marshalls at all. It’s just, when i think SSO i think modern and brutal forms of metal. And when i think Marshall i think 80’s brown sound (even though i know there are a few guys getting brutal tones from amps in the Marshall family)

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I’m surprised at how many people would choose a Marshall or Marshall-style amp

I feel like if you can trace the source of modern high-gain amps, they come down to 3 designs: The Mesa Mark series, the Jose-modded Marshall, and the Soldano SLO. I wouldn't say no to a modded Marshall at all. :D Which is why I'd love to check out a Wizard MCII or a Cameron Atomica one day.

And speaking of Mesa Mark, a JP2C would definitely be up there.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cynicanal

Reaction score
Modern and brutal can easily mean Marshall. Those Fortin Meshuggah amps? They're higher-gain Plexis.

Even stock -- I've seen loads of heavy as hell death and black metal bands use boosted JCM 800s. Marduk, Varathron, The Chasm, Mortuary, Cianide, Pseudogod -- just naming a few off the top of my head, I've seen all of those bands use JCM 800s live and absolutely crush, and there's plenty more bands that don't use them live but use them as a critical part of their studio tone (Cruciamentum and Incantation come to mind).

(Also, a SLO is just a 2203 with two more gain stages and a couple of resistors changed in the tone stack to shift the mids a touch higher; the latter effect can be mimicked on a Marshall by running the treble higher and the presence lower.)

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
I am pretty happy with my setup (Tremoverb through an Emperor w/Legend V12s). I'd love try out a Savage. Used to be super curious about Pitbull CL but I heard the UL live and it ripped but didnt have that chainsaw sound that I am all about.

Bearitone

Reaction score
I feel like if you can trace the source of modern high-gain amps, they come down to 3 designs: The Mesa Mark series, the Jose-modded Marshall, and the Soldano SLO. I wouldn't say no to a modded Marshall at all. :D Which is why I'd love to check out a Wizard MCII or a Cameron Atomica one day.

And speaking of Mesa Mark, a JP2C would definitely be up there.

I wouldn’t say no to a modded one either :D

If we’re talking bone-stock, I’d pick a JVM

Again guys, nothing against Marshall’s at all. Just wasn’t expecting all the Marshall love here on SSO

Wizard of Ozz

Arch-Mage of Metal
Reaction score
Modern and brutal can easily mean Marshall. Those Fortin Meshuggah amps? They're higher-gain Plexis.

Even stock -- I've seen loads of heavy as hell death and black metal bands use boosted JCM 800s. Marduk, Varathron, The Chasm, Mortuary, Cianide, Pseudogod -- just naming a few off the top of my head, I've seen all of those bands use JCM 800s live and absolutely crush, and there's plenty more bands that don't use them live but use them as a critical part of their studio tone (Cruciamentum and Incantation come to mind).

(Also, a SLO is just a 2203 with two more gain stages and a couple of resistors changed in the tone stack to shift the mids a touch higher; the latter effect can be mimicked on a Marshall by running the treble higher and the presence lower.)

On the Meshuggah... more like a 2203 with an overdrive pedal in front... or specifically in the case of the Meshuggah amp, built in to the circuit.

As for the 2203 vs SLO... the 2203 has 3 preamp gain stages, the SLO has 4.

Cynicanal

Reaction score
Huh, I though the SLO had 5 preamp gain stages. What are they using the other triode in the extra tube for?

Also, the Fortin Meshuggah has 4 jumperable inputs in a hi/low sensitivity hi/low treble arrangement, with two separate gain knobs. That's Plexi, not 2203 (which only has 2 inputs, one gain knob, and can't be jumpered).

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Huh, I though the SLO had 5 preamp gain stages. What are they using the other triode in the extra tube for?

Also, the Fortin Meshuggah has 4 jumperable inputs in a hi/low sensitivity hi/low treble arrangement, with two separate gain knobs. That's Plexi, not 2203 (which only has 2 inputs, one gain knob, and can't be jumpered).
DC cathode follower for the FX loop.

And yeah, the Meshugganah amp is a modded plexi.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
If i could add to my original post it'd go like this:
Mesa MK3 Coliseum
Mesa Dual Recto Rev C
Elan Metalhead
Soldano SLO
MI Audio Beta
Diezel Lil Fokker
Revv 100p
KSR Orthos Mk2

Cynicanal

Reaction score
An Uberschall. Deciding between revision blue and the twin jet.
Do you need a squeaky-clean high-headroom clean channel? Go Rev Blue if so, TJ if not. TJ channel 1 can get pretty clean if you bring the volume knob on your guitar down, and is just straight better for any kind of distorted tone, so Rev Blue only has the advantage if you need to stay clean while hitting the amp with a big signal.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
A few years ago and you'd be correct, this forum has never been super Marshall-friendly.

But you can thank Fortin and Meshuggah for the recent JCM love.
I'll thank VHT. I wish Slash didn't get the Aspen-Pittman amp locked up indefinitely. That, or his story regarding #34 is a ruse. There's been some rumors that the Ratt/Dokken Aspen-Pittman amp and #34 are one in the same, with the obvious differences being mics, speakers, and guitars/pickups.