If money was no object, what's your dream amp?

• Thread starter jco5055
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Yea, it corresponded right with the announcement of the mini-invective as well. Which I guess raises the question: if 5150s are essentially entirely pre-amp driven, for low volume scenarios, won't the EL84s basically never start distorting, and in that case the mini-head should be pretty identical to the 100W? Similar to the need of better transformers? I got hung up on this question and this also made me deliberate a bit from pulling the trigger.

But I got the only used VHT Ultra Lead for sale in japan, so I guess it worked out so far.

You can never go wrong with a VHT UL!

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
You can never go wrong with a VHT UL!

It is certainly the meanest thing I've ever played through. It's really different from all my other stuff -- actually has the fast response of some single channel boutique thing, probably just equates to not being a compressed amp, but then has all that grindy gain behind it. Kind of funny you can be swapping gear for like 10 years and still find new experiences. Probably prefer the Engl SE for metal if straight in, but the UL with a boost is just nuts.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
I'm currently hell bent on rack gear, if i can't fit all my gear inside one big unit i'm not that interested. So probably just an upgrade to all my existing stuff - something like a Helix or AxeFX for FX and rig control, maybe a Recto preamp unit, and probably a Fryette 2/50/2 to power it all

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
For something completely different... the best cleans I've ever heard are my Tone King Sky King. It has a Fender Tweed on the lead channel which goes from 50's to 60s cranked Tweed, and a Twin Reverb slightly scooped magical rhythm channel. Built in trem and reverb as well. Also has two attenuators with variable settings, so you can really dial in the two channels.

The channels are so good, especially cranked clean or with some grit dialed in. With gain dialed up, it completely negates the need for OD pedals.