Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

DimMak

Reaction score
Which is the same size as the Soloist body—they're both 7/8th the size of a Strat. 22 fret DKs are slightly different, but they're essentially the same size and shape. Someone even did a tracing back in the day on JCF to show it:

Then what is the difference between a Dinky and a Soloist? bolt on vs neck thru?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Then what is the difference between a Dinky and a Soloist? bolt on vs neck thru?
Yes. Body is the same shape.

Once upon a time, before anything was standardized, there were slight differences between the Soloist and Dinky shapes. But they've been the same shape for a very long time. I'm talking late 80s at least.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone gotten their hands on (whether bought or just played) any Masterbuilts? I've become quasi-obsessed with them, mostly just for the rarity, and the only way you'll see anything even slightly unique specs wise. There's a store on Long Island that's a big Jackson dealer, and I'm hoping they get some NAMM pieces so I can check them out.

"Masterbuilt" just means it has some options that fall outside the scope of the "USA Custom Select" available options. The quality is the same, and so is the people that make them.

I have a Masterbuilt by Joe Williams, and another (NOT Masterbuilt) made by Mike Shannon (former Jackson's CS leader). They are great guitars no doubt, but I don't think they're worth the absurd prices they're charging for them right now.

jco5055

Reaction score
"Masterbuilt" just means it has some options that fall outside the scope of the "USA Custom Select" available options. The quality is the same, and so is the people that make them.

I have a Masterbuilt by Joe Williams, and another (NOT Masterbuilt) made by Mike Shannon (former Jackson's CS leader). They are great guitars no doubt, but I don't think they're worth the absurd prices they're charging for them right now.
isn't the other "unique" thing that they are only built by one of the guys (not counting paint)? compared to standard custom shop which may be assembled etc by the no-name workers there as opposed to the 4 master builders?

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Somebody buy this then I can put it out of my mind.

nrjftj3wl5krzzlhkww7.jpg

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
isn't the other "unique" thing that they are only built by one of the guys (not counting paint)? compared to standard custom shop which may be assembled etc by the no-name workers there as opposed to the 4 master builders?

Depends on the build, but even the "single builder" stuff will use blocks made by the general woodshop, so that's not really a guarantee unless it was a really weird, completely non-standard build.

The whole "one builder" thing is mostly FMIC marketing.

jco5055

Reaction score
Depends on the build, but even the "single builder" stuff will use blocks made by the general woodshop, so that's not really a guarantee unless it was a really weird, completely non-standard build.

The whole "one builder" thing is mostly FMIC marketing.
ah ok, I assume then basically like the NAMM stuff such as that headless V etc

gnoll

Reaction score
What's going on with those inlays? It looks terrible. Maybe they should use dots so it's not as obvious how bad the material looks.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
Are the reports about modern MIJ Jacksons having poor quality real? Have they improved at all? Cause I could be interested in a 24-fret RR with yellow pinstripes and EMGs

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Are the reports about modern MIJ Jacksons having poor quality real? Have they improved at all? Cause I could be interested in a 24-fret RR with yellow pinstripes and EMGs
I have heard this, but not experienced it myself. The ones I've played have been great. But this is only one man's experience.

They are made at Fujigen, and I know a dealer that complains about everything coming out of there being sub par right now. Even the Ibanez Prestiges they make.

Latest posts