Kerry King's new band

• Thread starter Bloody_Inferno
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Interested to hear this but not sure now that I've seen Osegueda is on vocals. The vocals were what always put me off Death Angel.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

olejason

Reaction score
Sounds great, hope the whole album is like that

guitar_player4_2_0

Reaction score
I do like some Slayer, but pretty much all the stuff I like was Jeff. I don’t like Kerry. I don’t dig his ego, and I really don’t think he’s very good. He sounds like someone who has zero musical knowledge and just noodles around til he finds some notes that sound “evil”. Plays it as fast as he can without being sloppy, cranks it up 10% from there and done lol.

chipchappy

thudmaster
Reaction score
He sounds like someone who has zero musical knowledge and just noodles around til he finds some notes that sound “evil”. Plays it as fast as he can without being sloppy, cranks it up 10% from there and done lol.

Yeah haha... people who do that suck haha ... Aren't they so annoying? People who are like that? I definitely am not someone who does that haha... :ugh:

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I do like some Slayer, but pretty much all the stuff I like was Jeff. I don’t like Kerry. I don’t dig his ego, and I really don’t think he’s very good. He sounds like someone who has zero musical knowledge and just noodles around til he finds some notes that sound “evil”. Plays it as fast as he can without being sloppy, cranks it up 10% from there and done lol.

While I agree that Jeff's songwriting has the better track record, I'd argue he was in the same ballpark as Kerry with solos. Case in point, every live rendition of Seasons In The Abyss.

But counter to the counter argument: while it doesn't sound like much, considering they were both nailing these chaotic note vomits consistently on tours night after night for decades, has to account that there's method in the madness.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
While I agree that Jeff's songwriting has the better track record, I'd argue he was in the same ballpark as Kerry with solos. Case in point, every live rendition of Seasons In The Abyss.

But counter to the counter argument: while it doesn't sound like much, considering they were both nailing these chaotic note vomits consistently on tours night after night for decades, has to account that there's method in the madness.

It's the same as RATM and Tom Morello. If someone covered Bulls on Parade and played an actual guitar solo it'd sound like shit. Does it sound like shit, yes...but it fits with the sound they're going for. And I've tried to just bullshit some Slayer solos with chaotic note vomit and whammy bar fuckery and it doesn't sound right.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
It's the same as RATM and Tom Morello. If someone covered Bulls on Parade and played an actual guitar solo it'd sound like shit. Does it sound like shit, yes...but it fits with the sound they're going for. And I've tried to just bullshit some Slayer solos with chaotic note vomit and whammy bar fuckery and it doesn't sound right.

Bulls on Parade is actually a great example. The scratching, use of wah to make certain tones pop, and using the toggle switch like that, just like the DJs Morello is trying to emulate, needs a lot of rhythmic work. It's easy to write it off as nonsensical noise, but for its intention, the solo is really well done.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Bulls on Parade is actually a great example. The scratching, use of wah to make certain tones pop, and using the toggle switch like that, just like the DJs Morello is trying to emulate, needs a lot of rhythmic work. It's easy to write it off as nonsensical noise, but for its intention, the solo is really well done.

Ya, that's one of those things that makes me feel kind of old or really fucking jaded. I hate Tom Morello, have always hated him, but now I understand he has a certain sound he's going for and has gotten good at it and I respect him for it. Metallica didn't sell out, they wanted to be the biggest metal band in the world and are for all infants and porpoises the IRL Dethklok, they just had cunning stunts instead of people dying. Nickelback..."I'm gonna trade this life for fortune and fame, I'd even cut my hair and change my name"

Have you ever met a Slayer fan? Like real Slayer fan, not a skinhead who likes them because swastikas are edgy. Them motherfuckers aren't right, and would eat it up if Kerry Fucking King farted into an EMG 81. Why not turn out generic thrash riffs to get a paycheck?

Latest posts