Kerry King's new band

• Thread starter Bloody_Inferno
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
Aside from his taste in guitars, some of his solos, and the fact he can look a bit douchey, can someone explain like I'm 5 where the Kerry King hate comes from?
I always presumed he was right leaning politically, but seeing his responses to Araya's political views made me doubt that.

People love to hate. Kerry seems like the Guy Fieri of metal to me. Questionable aesthetic taste and an outsized personality which combine to make him an easy target, but nothing tangibly bad about him. Also a shrewd businessman who knows that any publicity is good publicity (within reason), and has remained relevant to this day for it.

Not knowing any of these people personally all we can do is speculate, but I get the impression that Kerry's wife has pulled him a fair degree leftward, which is no bad thing. On the other hand, I think Araya homeschooling his kids + his Trump comments + his wife's online presence paint a pretty clear picture of what his views are.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
I don't know. What you think is difficult to play before you even start guitar and what is actually difficult to play are vastly different things.
In the beginning, my ambition was to be able to play that pinnacle of speed and therefore difficulty that is the main riff of Fight fire with fire.
I never really worked on solos because to me they're just accessories to the song.

Yep, I've been working on it now that I'm older, but stuff like the picking parts in Fade to Black is still harder for me than something like Fight Fire with Fire or Angel of Death.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Yep, I've been working on it now that I'm older, but stuff like the picking parts in Fade to Black is still harder for me than something like Fight Fire with Fire or Angel of Death.
Most Slayer is pretty easy to play, War Ensemble did cause some muscle pain back then though. It's like MoP on steroids for your left arm.

JSKrev

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love Slayer and largely credit them with all the extreme metal that I discovered. With that said, they sucked after Divine Intervention. I remember being excited to buy Diabolus in Musica. Paul Bostaph is a killer drummer, and more technical than Lombardo ever was.

Chanson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
People love to hate. Kerry seems like the Guy Fieri of metal to me. Questionable aesthetic taste and an outsized personality which combine to make him an easy target, but nothing tangibly bad about him. Also a shrewd businessman who knows that any publicity is good publicity (within reason), and has remained relevant to this day for it.

Not knowing any of these people personally all we can do is speculate, but I get the impression that Kerry's wife has pulled him a fair degree leftward, which is no bad thing. On the other hand, I think Araya homeschooling his kids + his Trump comments + his wife's online presence paint a pretty clear picture of what his views are.

Guy and Kerry are also both lovers of sunglasses and their respective flames and tribal pattern aesthetics are near identical vibes.

But actually, Guy apparently is a really chill and charitable dude based on some stories I've read. One of the examples I can remember is that he personally showed up and helped feed hundreds for free after some huge wildfires burned up people's cities in Nor Cal. Can't imagine Kerry doing anything in that ballpark. Can we just turn this into a Guy Fieri thread?

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Most Slayer is pretty easy to play, War Ensemble did cause some muscle pain back then though. It's like MoP on steroids for your left arm.

Ya, that was kinda my point. Now that stuff is easier for me than slow picking stuff.

Moongrum

Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks Kerry's warlock starter pack was absolutely iconic?
s-l1600.jpg
Came with an amp and softcase, I think. My Mormon neighbor had one, and I thought it was so sick. Was surprised his mum bought him a slayer guitar.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Guy and Kerry are also both lovers of sunglasses and their respective flames and tribal pattern aesthetics are near identical vibes.

But actually, Guy apparently is a really chill and charitable dude based on some stories I've read. One of the examples I can remember is that he personally showed up and helped feed hundreds for free after some huge wildfires burned up people's cities in Nor Cal. Can't imagine Kerry doing anything in that ballpark. Can we just turn this into a Guy Fieri thread?
Aside from the "forgot to go to the gym for forty years gym bro" vibe, Guy and Kerry are pretty much polar opposites personality wise. Guy's bright and cheery and sometimes goofy as shit. Kerry's just present, until he's angry, then after he's present again. With his arms crossed. And an angry scowl.

drool1419

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm digging it, I think the vocals add something fresh from the later Slayer era

Marked Man

Reaction score
I love Slayer and largely credit them with all the extreme metal that I discovered. With that said, they sucked after Divine Intervention. I remember being excited to buy Diabolus in Musica. Paul Bostaph is a killer drummer, and more technical than Lombardo ever was.

Yet all of their best material was with Lombardo. His feel gave Slayer the X Factor. Paul could never replicate it, although he was a freakin' machine. Can say the same for Portnoy vs Magani.

The real decline of Slayer was as Hanneman's creative input declined and King took over most of the songwriting in the later 90s and beyond.

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
Didn't love it, didn't hate it. Which is more or less what I was expecting from this.

Mark Osegueda is really the only reason to listen to this. In which case you're better off listening to the last 5 Death Angel albums. Even Phil Demmel's solo sounds tired.

Hey, at least they're getting paid for this (I hope).

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
yawn-larrydavid.gif

JSKrev

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I understand why Phil Demmel left Vio-Lence ( Sean Killian is a moron), but that's always been where he shined.