Kerry King's new band

• Thread starter Bloody_Inferno
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Marked Man

Reaction score
Solo as expected

On one album at the peak of the Shred Era ( Seasons in the Abyss ) King said he and Jeff both took advanced lessons and took solos very seriously. Those were the best composed solos of any Slayer albums, then they went right back into improv chaos. Wish they would have kept some of the discipline. Both of them basically had F1 race guitars and killer tone, but improv'd like blenders most of the time.

I never liked the bone dry mix of Seasons.... and consider it a step backward from South...., but there were still some great songs that work very well live.

Marked Man

Reaction score
Ya, that's one of those things that makes me feel kind of old or really fucking jaded. I hate Tom Morello, have always hated him, but now I understand he has a certain sound he's going for and has gotten good at it and I respect him for it. Metallica didn't sell out, they wanted to be the biggest metal band in the world and are for all infants and porpoises the IRL Dethklok, they just had cunning stunts instead of people dying. Nickelback..."I'm gonna trade this life for fortune and fame, I'd even cut my hair and change my name"

Have you ever met a Slayer fan? Like real Slayer fan, not a skinhead who likes them because swastikas are edgy. Them motherfuckers aren't right, and would eat it up if Kerry Fucking King farted into an EMG 81. Why not turn out generic thrash riffs to get a paycheck?

I would have zero interest in hanging out with or even meeting Morello or King if the opportunity presented itself, but I have respect for the jams they've made over the years.

King has always been a relentless athlete for hammering speed night after night, a machine actually. A great percentage of internet couch dwellers couldn't even physically keep up in a Slayer concert (maybe one song!) or especially a world tour. He kept Slayer strong by forcing Jeff to be sidelined after his physical abilities declined. It was the right thing to do. And he was also right to recruit Holt.

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
I would have zero interest in hanging out with or even meeting Morello or King if the opportunity presented itself, but I have respect for the jams they've made over the years.

King has always been a relentless athlete for hammering speed night after night, a machine actually. A great percentage of internet couch dwellers couldn't even physically keep up in a Slayer concert (maybe one song!) or especially a world tour. He kept Slayer strong by forcing Jeff to be sidelined after his physical abilities declined. It was the right thing to do. And he was also right to recruit Holt.
I've hung out with Kerry once, he's a decent guy. All the guys which the internet love to hate (King, Ulrich, Mustaine, Flynn etc) are the driving forces for their respective bands. They've learned to be tenacious, thick-skinned and unrelenting in order to succeed.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Aside from his taste in guitars, some of his solos, and the fact he can look a bit douchey, can someone explain like I'm 5 where the Kerry King hate comes from?
I always presumed he was right leaning politically, but seeing his responses to Araya's political views made me doubt that.

jco5055

Reaction score
On one album at the peak of the Shred Era ( Seasons in the Abyss ) King said he and Jeff both took advanced lessons and took solos very seriously. Those were the best composed solos of any Slayer albums, then they went right back into improv chaos. Wish they would have kept some of the discipline. Both of them basically had F1 race guitars and killer tone, but improv'd like blenders most of the time.

I never liked the bone dry mix of Seasons.... and consider it a step backward from South...., but there were still some great songs that work very well live.
yeah I'd say for example War Ensemble has about the most composed solo by him, there is some structure, along with the title track

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Fun Facts: Kerry played on the first few Slayer recordings. The latter stuff is mostly Billy Sheehan using his ding-a-ling as a pick.
Billy Sheehan's ding-a-ling is approximately three inches taller than Kerry King.

King was not right to essentially mix holt completely OUT of the PA during the last few tours. I was sitting on Gary's side and the *ONLY* time you could hear Gary at all was when he went into full meltdown feedback, and King stopped playing. He just had to have the full PA in the guitar range, apparently. It does speak to Gary's abilities though. Gotta think it's tough enough to keep up even if you COULD hear yourself.

I think a lot of King hate stems from the fact that he always carries himself like "Fuck you, I don't care." In a band with Tom Araya, who is quite likely the nicest living dude in metal (RIP Dime), he was bound to come off like a douche. It doesn't help that he tended to avoid group appearances outside of the stage itself, which mostly came off as he didn't want to compete for camera time.

At my current age, I figure he's just a loner that adopted the asshole persona to come off as something other than an angry nerd. If I got famous (HAHAHAHAHA. Ha. BWAAHAHAHHHAHA! OK, get control dick!) I'd probably end up doing the same. I mean, you know, after my drug-haze got old.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score

As much as people love to shit on them now, Metallica and Slayer are responsible for my picking technique being as good as it is. Everybody focuses on the technique to be able to shred, and I'm not knocking that, but I'm probably going to hell because I've made jokes trying to play along to Reign in Blood is Auschwitz for your picking arm. Even back in the day when I was in my prime, that shit was like trying to keep up with James on Live Shit, downpicking Blackened at like 200 something BPM.

Marked Man

Reaction score
As much as people love to shit on them now, Metallica and Slayer are responsible for my picking technique being as good as it is. Everybody focuses on the technique to be able to shred, and I'm not knocking that, but I'm probably going to hell because I've made jokes trying to play along to Reign in Blood is Auschwitz for your picking arm. Even back in the day when I was in my prime, that shit was like trying to keep up with James on Live Shit, downpicking Blackened at like 200 something BPM.

I started playing guitar in 1989, and at that time, it was simply understood you were going to be an athlete of sorts if you were diving into thrash, shred, etc.

Made me what I am also. Sometimes 5-6+ hrs practice per day in the early years. I never had to worry much about physical limitations after I became experienced and my speed and endurance naturally stay high to this day. I have to be more cautious with my poor ears today, however. .....😵‍💫

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
I started playing guitar in 1989, and at that time, it was simply understood you were going to be an athlete of sorts if you were diving into thrash, shred, etc.
I don't know. What you think is difficult to play before you even start guitar and what is actually difficult to play are vastly different things.
In the beginning, my ambition was to be able to play that pinnacle of speed and therefore difficulty that is the main riff of Fight fire with fire.
I never really worked on solos because to me they're just accessories to the song.