Kerry King's new band

• Thread starter Bloody_Inferno
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Interested to hear this but not sure now that I've seen Osegueda is on vocals. The vocals were what always put me off Death Angel.
Funny, I feel just the opposite. I think his vocals are rad but I can't stand Kerry King. I found Death Angel through the Metal Swim comp that had their song Truce on it. Fantastic comp. I don't even like thrash (which might be a key point to the difference in tastes here), but Death Angel rules.

While I'm saying nice things about thrash bands (don't get used to it), Municipal Waste had the most fun and wholesome pit I've ever stood on the sidelines of. A sea of denim vests vests, 24oz PBRs, and the biggest smiles in the world. It was a 3-day festival, but the people in that pit had more fun in 35 minutes than most people had the whole weekend.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Very forgettable song imo. I hope the full album will at least have some more memorable riffs, because at this rate I'll just forget I even listened to it.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
I listened! I liked the vocals so I'm not sure what previous DA songs I'd heard to write them off... I seem to remember clean singing?
Anyways, the song is forgettable but the single note mosh part is cool. 6/10 would bang again.

ezboarderz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
sounded pretty much like slayer with slightly different vocals. I am always down for that kinda vibe.

jco5055

Reaction score
While I agree that Jeff's songwriting has the better track record, I'd argue he was in the same ballpark as Kerry with solos. Case in point, every live rendition of Seasons In The Abyss.

But counter to the counter argument: while it doesn't sound like much, considering they were both nailing these chaotic note vomits consistently on tours night after night for decades, has to account that there's method in the madness.
every once in a while Jeff would almost play something that actually made sense solo wise, like take the solo in Spirit in Black. Also for chaotic solos, I think his first one on Angel of Death is pretty much the GOAT

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
Kerry King has said for a long time that this would sound like Slayer, and so it does. No surprises here.

It's a shame it doesn't sound like South of Heaven's era Slayer though... but even Slayer hasn't sounded like that for like 30 years or so.

Contrary to what most people think around here, I don't hate Kerry King, I don't find annoying him being so blunt or whatever, I don't hate Slayer, and don't share the belief that JH was the better of the two... OK, maybe when writing songs and (some of the) riffs, but I've seen them both suck live (like really suck), JH being the worst offender most of the times, and KK being more consistent as both a lead and rhythm player (he basically replicates what's in the albums). And Dittohead is one of my favorites from them if not my favorite, written by... you guessed it: Kerry King.

That said, if I were to listen to Slayer doppelgangers I'll take any Demiricous song over this. I don't think the rest of the album will be better, but I'll listen to it at least once just in case.

manu80

Reaction score
Will wait for the whole album. Vocals are ok, some Araya's vibes here. and yeah it's like Slayer, what were we expecting ? ;)
Had the feeling some riffs were just put together without real link with each other , like the intro and the riff just after.
Stil I like KK. Guy is a bit over the top, like Mustaine. it's fine with me

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
I think it is great. It reminded me of Gabriel-era Genesis mixed with a bit of Rabin-era Yes. I especially enjoyed the electronic Simmons drum tones set against actual tabla percussion. I didn't know that Kerry was that much of an expert in playing/writing in odd time signatures.

Alex79

Reaction score

Did you see that KK says he recorded the bass their albums since 1990s?

Personally, I don’t find that hard to believe. Bass playing does not stick out at all, could 100% be KK just laying down something after recording guitar.

jco5055

Reaction score
also have you ever listened to the isolated bass from any of the 80s stuff? Absolutely horrendous, there's no way Tom actually ever practiced bass or else he doesn't have a lick of coordination in his body.

lattjeful

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'll be sitting thru a setlist of this to see LoG/Mastodon on their upcoming summer tour, any thoughts and prayers are welcomed during these tough times
You'll get to see Leviathan performed in full. Worth sitting through Kerry King, I suppose.

Jotun@

RooR
Reaction score
Not a big slayer fan, I’ve seen them a few times and they were ok. The last time was rough.
Just gave a listen to a couple of tracks off of this new drop and meh.
On the other hand, the slower album is pretty awesome…

zappatton2

Reaction score
also have you ever listened to the isolated bass from any of the 80s stuff? Absolutely horrendous, there's no way Tom actually ever practiced bass or else he doesn't have a lick of coordination in his body.
I actually liked the bass on the Hell Awaits album (for one thing, you can actually hear it), and on the one version of Aggressive Perfector, he must have just gotten worse. Or those recordings were also Kerry.

Bodes

Reaction score
Riffs were as expected.
Sound was typical modern metal recording, read: everyone already doing that sound.
Then what the hell was that solo??? both in composition (hahaha) and tone choice???