Line 6 announcement on January 23rd. New amp?

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TeeWX

All The Br00tz
Reaction score
I was hoping for something a little more pro :( but still might make a decent backup/practice/jamming amp. Cheaper than the hd500x not sure what to make of that.
Kinda comes off as a toy to play with rather than a serious amp

Pretty much this. It seems kind of cool I guess. But I just hate what they're trying to do to the guitar amp. I want an amp head that I can plug into a cab and get some killer tones out of.

I wish line 6 would have came out with a Vetta III. That way we could complain about how it's not as good as the Vetta II and didn't quite live up to our expectations and how they ruined it by putting a giant apple logo in the tolex.

Maybe next year.

PlumbTheDerps

Reaction score
For the last goddamn time: IT'S NOT AN iOS MODELING APP. It's a physical amp with optional remote control and editing via an iOS device. The leaked product pages show that conclusively.

OMFG SOMEBODY IS WRONG ON THE INTERNET I MUST YELL AT THEM

My point was (and remains) that, assuming these are not the HD models, they are unlikely to be ported over. That's true irrespective of the platform. Sorry for not reading the thread carefully enough while I'm doing work on a Thursday at 11 AM, like a productive member of the labor force.

I wish line 6 would have came out with a Vetta III. That way we could complain about how it's not as good as the Vetta II and didn't quite live up to our expectations and how they ruined it by putting a giant apple logo in the tolex.

:lol: We are kind of a self-hating user base, it's true.

TeeWX

All The Br00tz
Reaction score
From the looks of what, exactly? An single extremely off-axis photograph? I wouldn't consider that conclusive evidence. The spec also mentions a USB port, so even if in-depth programming requires an external device, there's no reason to believe that it *has to be* an iOS device - smart money is that there are Windows and Mac editing applications, as the Pod HD has now.

Based on how he phrased that; he's just speculating. It's perfectly acceptable to speculate based on hard evidence, gut feeling, or nothing at all IMO. He also said nothing about it being an iOS phone although the specs clearly scream that at us. I can agree here that it does kind of seem like we'll be losing a lot of the intended functionality if we aren't digging into it with our phones. But we don't know that yet ;)

Lain

Reaction score
My point was (and remains) that, assuming these are not the HD models, they are unlikely to be ported over. That's true irrespective of the platform.
Well, it could be a PodHD in amp form with an added *option* of controlling it via iOS platform. (I doubt it for the price, though... but we will see)
If you buy an amp with a midi board, the modelling and effects won't take place in the midi board. And no one is going to say "Huh, amp going to be shit because amp and midi are totally programmed differently!"

I don't know what you base all your speculation on. Afterall the things we know *for sure* like USB, Android streaming, etc. seem to contradict all your speculations.

celticelk

Reaction score
OMFG SOMEBODY IS WRONG ON THE INTERNET I MUST YELL AT THEM

My point was (and remains) that, assuming these are not the HD models, they are unlikely to be ported over. That's true irrespective of the platform. Sorry for not reading the thread carefully enough while I'm doing work on a Thursday at 11 AM, like a productive member of the labor force.

Productive member of the labor force? During NAMM? Priorities! =)

Yeah, my bad - overreacted a little there. Keeping it OT, I'm assuming that these are the HD models until we're told otherwise.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
And I guess Randall will be getting more of my money in the future. :lol:

Was really, REALLY hoping Line 6 wouldn't suck off Apple like Digitech did, because that didn't seem to last long for them, but I guess I was wrong. :rant: Hope they prove me wrong and release an Android app in the future like TC did.

Well it's not really news that they seem to prefer to support Apple, they put out the Mobile In and Sonicport devices and clearly catered to the iOS crowd. Maybe it's easier to support iOS than Android? I don't know for sure as I don't develop for them, just a thought. :shrug:

VacantPlanet

Reaction score
With this new thing having 70 amp models, hopefully that means new amps for the HDs. That's about the only excitement I can muster for this.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I can see why they do those things for iOS, since it's really difficult to develop guitar-based software for Android. I'm not really tech savvy when it comes to phones, but if this is just a remote-based software similar to TC's Toneprint, I don't see it being much harder to develop. Like I said, they probably do plan on making it available for Android in the future.

celticelk

Reaction score
Well it's not really news that they seem to prefer to support Apple, they put out the Mobile In and Sonicport devices and clearly catered to the iOS crowd. Maybe it's easier to support iOS than Android? I don't know for sure as I don't develop for them, just a thought. :shrug:

The general wisdom is that iOS is a far superior platform for actual audio processing, like amp sims. That shouldn't make a difference if (as it appears here) the mobile device is just providing a remote interface to the amp and not actually doing any processing of audio. It's certainly possible that L6 is more comfortable doing iOS dev, since as you pointed out they've got a history with that platform. It's also possible that their marketing research indicates that their target market is more likely to have an iOS device.

Radatats

Reaction score
looks like a SS power amp with a Stagesource cab setup to receive streaming audio via Bluetooth from the actual amp app on your iPhone/iPad whatever... Judging from the pics on the one website posted earlier, these are old amp models (X3?) not HD models... very disappointed so far...

- BTW, Line 6 took down the User Forum this morning, probably because we were talking about this and sharing the link above. Nobody sounds excited about this. Might be a total debacle...

LINE 6 Amplifi 150 - Guitar combos - Modeling guitar combos | Woodbrass.com - still working.

- The amp models listed in the pic on that page are all right here in my Vetta II Users manual... holy crap... not HD names or models...

Attachments

• amplifi.png
    amplifi.png
    332.9 KB · Views: 21
  • amplifi - 1.png
    amplifi - 1.png
    313.2 KB · Views: 16

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
Has line 6 announced anything yet? I think the wood brass page has been taken down

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Wish it didn't rely so much on iOS, but I think it's neat. It's not a game-changer or really for gigging guys, I don't think. Looks like it's just for jamming around the house, maybe with some buddies. For that purpose, it looks kinda cool. Similar to Yamaha's THR (or whatever it's called) series.

EDIT: but referring to what it does as "tone matching" seems laughable. From what I understand, it sends you suggested patches based on what you're playing. So it's only as good as someone else has been able to make a patch for it. Judging by what I hear of folks who "nail!" certain tones with this or that modeler, I don't have high hopes for this feature. Seems like a gimmick that risks coloring the rest of the product poorly.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
what a hunk of shit.....is the 8" or 12" speaker a sub? don't get the five driver thing....no live output connections, and nobody in their right mind is micing a full range cab..no L6 Link for HD-series stuff, X3 amp models, extremely underpowered for FRFR if its intended for live use, iOS device required for "tone matching" (hah!), amp editing, etc......

looks like a long list of fail to me. They could have added full stereo and some tweeters to the current Spiders and had a better product.

UncurableZero

Reaction score

Looks and sounds pretty cool, but I'm not sure if it will ever be anything more than a practice amp.
Personally I'd stick with an X3/XT or even better an HD and a set of monitors.