Line 6 Helix Megathread - 2.80 update

• Thread starter demorior
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
Badass interface.....thing looks fantastic.

I will say it probably won't replace my Axe and I think most of these features are 'too little too late', but it's definitely a viable alternative.

I don't think it's "too late" at all. If the $1,500 tag is "MSRP", then it's possible the street price could be even less. That aside, the Amplifire doesn't seem to be "Pod killer" everyone was hoping it would be and even at $1,500, it's still $1,000 cheaper than an Axe II. Not only that but like I mentioned before, at least with the L6 stuff, people can try it out in a store before blindly buying one online.

You're right though, I doubt that it'll replace anyone's Fractal or Kemper gear but it'll definitely attract people who couldn't pull the trigger on one because of the price point but want something better than a Pod HD.

lewis

Reaction score
Im actually re thinking my strategy.

Im tempted to go Kemper instead, skipping this generation of Line 6 (the Helix) as I do already own a HD Pro. And then go back to Line 6 for their next gen product after the Helix. I cant afford to get both a Kemper and the Helix.

Anyone think thats a sound strategy?. The Helix looks and sounds amazing though so its a real tough one.

Something about the Kemper and its unlimited amp options just pulls me in, plus capturing the feel of amps too.

KristapsCoCoo

Reaction score
As far as I understand - this has been in development since the early Fractals lunched and even before there was a KPA. So it's meant to be something else.

All the functionality upgrades are immense and a lot of the functions are indeed something completely new fresh in the market.

And damn that shvt can run 4 rigs including 4 IR's at the same time and as far as I understand you can route it for multiple different instruments as long as DSP allows it. That opens some wild possibilities tone-wise.

And as far as the actual sound goes:

Code:
To pull some of them off, we've had to physically model the behavior of incandescent light bulbs, transistors, bucket brigade chips, and other components. Completely new architecture and DSP engine.

So it will be an improvement over POD for sure and it seems that it really may sound on par with Fractal and KPA.

I can't wait to hear some demos of that fvking thing! :shred:

lewis

Reaction score
As far as I understand - this has been in development since the early Fractals lunched and even before there was a KPA. So it's meant to be something else.

All the functionality upgrades are immense and a lot of the functions are indeed something completely new fresh in the market.

And damn that shvt can run 4 rigs including 4 IR's at the same time and as far as I understand you can route it for multiple different instruments as long as DSP allows it. That opens some wild possibilities tone-wise.

And as far as the actual sound goes:

Code:
To pull some of them off, we've had to physically model the behavior of incandescent light bulbs, transistors, bucket brigade chips, and other components. Completely new architecture and DSP engine.

So it will be an improvement over POD for sure and it seems that it really may sound on par with Fractal and KPA.

I can't wait to hear some demos of that fvking thing! :shred:

not helping my decision making or GAS for the Helix man :lol:

sounds unreal.

sevenstringj

Banned
Reaction score
I don't recall seeing incandescent light bulbs in any gear I've owned. WTF are they talmbout?

Sumsar

Reaction score
Does Kemper have to even do that, their whole thing is based off cloning a sound source not the amp sim coding.

I guess the question was when will kemper do a Kemper 2.0 where both the software and hardware that makes the profiles as well as the cpu used to run the profiles at a certain bitrate will be upgraded?

I think the thing with Kemper is that the Kemper's hardware is good enough - so there is not really a need to upgrade it - they (like fractal) do software updates that makes both the profiling process and the playback (can you call it that) better. We have gotten to an age where the performance of amp sims/profilers are no longer determined by the limited hardware, but only by the software.

Shask

Reaction score
I don't think it's "too late" at all. If the $1,500 tag is "MSRP", then it's possible the street price could be even less. That aside, the Amplifire doesn't seem to be "Pod killer" everyone was hoping it would be and even at $1,500, it's still $1,000 cheaper than an Axe II. Not only that but like I mentioned before, at least with the L6 stuff, people can try it out in a store before blindly buying one online.

You're right though, I doubt that it'll replace anyone's Fractal or Kemper gear but it'll definitely attract people who couldn't pull the trigger on one because of the price point but want something better than a Pod HD.

They said $1500 was the street price on other forums. MSRP is like $2300 or something.

Shask

Reaction score
Grab the rack version and let me know.:fawk:

The DAW integration stuff is interesting. One thing Line 6 is very good at is "the total package". Meaning good software, easy updates, connecting with online stuff, etc.... Fractal is just now catching up with this kind of stuff.

If the Helix can be more integrated with a DAW the way a MIDI keyboard is where you can insert as a VST and tweak and save presets in the DAW and such, that will be a huge leap forward.

mikah912

Reaction score
Im actually re thinking my strategy.

Im tempted to go Kemper instead, skipping this generation of Line 6 (the Helix) as I do already own a HD Pro. And then go back to Line 6 for their next gen product after the Helix. I cant afford to get both a Kemper and the Helix.

Anyone think thats a sound strategy?. The Helix looks and sounds amazing though so its a real tough one.

Something about the Kemper and its unlimited amp options just pulls me in, plus capturing the feel of amps too.

Kemper is an awesome piece of recording and live kit, but Line 6 is clearly going for the whole enchilada here.

That Helix floor unit is essentially a $1300 Liquid Foot Pro competitor with (ostensibly) Axe/Kemper-level amps, FX, and multi-IR loading inside....along with a badass recording interface WITH reamping and inputs and outputs up the butt. You can even split the cost with the other guitar player in your band and run completely independent signal chains at the same time for gigs.

That is an amazing value proposition, so I scratch my head at the price complaints.

lewis

Reaction score
Kemper is an awesome piece of recording and live kit, but Line 6 is clearly going for the whole enchilada here.

That Helix floor unit is essentially a $1300 Liquid Foot Pro competitor with (ostensibly) Axe/Kemper-level amps, FX, and multi-IR loading inside....along with a badass recording interface WITH reamping and inputs and outputs up the butt. You can even split the cost with the other guitar player in your band and run completely independent signal chains at the same time for gigs.

That is an amazing value proposition, so I scratch my head at the price complaints.

Absolutely correct.

Im atm Im the one and only guitarist in my band, but being able to have me and the Bassist running through this per gig is an unreal preposition. 1 small floor board in 1 small carry case, catering for 2 guitarists per show :bowdown:

Dead-Pan

Reaction score
Kemper has 2 processors as well, and at least up to last year they were only using one.

For actual guitar tones I doubt the Helix will match it but in other ways it may surpass. The Helix is damn gorgeous though! So tempting to buy just to look at it, WTF!

There will not be a Kemper 2 for many many years. They claim to have a development plan in place similar to Virus.

4Eyes

Reaction score
what is that DAW integration stuff that all are talking about?

SnoozyWyrm

Reaction score
Do we like this? I can't really tell. The plexi patch was nice. And it looked to be really intuitively set up (those trying to setup a plexi patch on the HDs know the nightmare of overdrive/EQs/DEP etc.) Surely it was an impressive first look, but I can't say I'm blown off the water yet...and I really wanted to be.

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not falling for Line 6 marketing again. I need more info, demos, tone samples, etc. Preferably samples that aren't overproduced stuff from Ola and the like.