This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

meambobbo

Reaction score
for cleans, the periphery, meshuggah, and chimp spanner/tesseract patches are rather ambient. Some of the lead patches are ambient - Meshuggah, Periphery, Faceless.

Most of my tones I try for a tight, focused distortion. Post-rock seems often to be a bit rougher and grittier. I've never really gotten into it. But maybe throw out some names you like and I'll eventually take a look.

As for tips, I would think you'd simply want less of a mids-boost to pre-EQ the tone. You may want to cut some bass to avoid getting too much fuzz, but you want a lot of extreme high end to get the distortion scratchy, gritty, splatty. This will not work on all amp models. I'd look more towards the SLO, ENGL, and Marshalls - they respond that way to those frequencies. The Uber just saturates and sounds metal. The Recto can also get you there, especially if you crank its power section.

mr_fruitbowl

Reaction score
Sound advice cheers!

Yeah I'm a big fan the periphery clean, I need to try out the Faceless patches.

meambobbo

Reaction score
for the ChimpSpanner/Tesseract Clean, FS 5 and FS 6 toggle the + 1 and - 1 octave effects. Turn them off and you've got a more normal sounding clean, just really ambient. I find if I'm just picking sparse single notes, I like the octaves on. If I'm trying something more involved or playing any kind of chords, I turn them off.

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
if you are running into the amp's effects loop return, you don't even have to worry about which model or what effects are on - that's all in the pre-amp which you are bypassing. so that can save you a little time setting up. glad to hear everything worked well.
Ooohh...gotcha. Didn't understand that part of it. I need to go back and reset my clean channel back to what it was set on then LOL.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Entered Fluff's riff contest on Youtube and I used Meambobbo's Petrucci rhythm patch with the POD HD Desktop :)

did you see that he posted it on his facebook page? probably a good sign for you lol

That being said, heres my entry. new mesa tone, quad tracked.

Also, please subscribe. it turns out i only have 2 subscribers and that makes me a sad panda.......

EDIT: heres a finished sample off my album :) http://soundcloud.com/rickycigs/cant-teach-a-stone-to-swim

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
meambobbo I want to ask you why you stopped correcting the cabs' phase since you started using the tread on / uber 121 combo .On your excel it seems that the tread cab has to be delayed 14 samples am I right?

osmosis2259

Reaction score
did you see that he posted it on his facebook page? probably a good sign for you lol

That being said, heres my entry. new mesa tone, quad tracked.

Also, please subscribe. it turns out i only have 2 subscribers and that makes me a sad panda.......

Oh nice! I'm following him on facebook and I didn't see it. It must have been only for his friends or something.

Nice playing man by the way! I gave you a like. :hbang:

meambobbo

Reaction score
I need to doublecheck and revise that spreadsheet. I was using it for my common combo of Tread 57 on/ Greenbacks 121, which I think had 40 samples delay - so I had an FX loop to get the latency. One day I turned it off and thought it sounded better. So I stuck with that. Then I was working on using the Uber more and subbed the Greenbacks for the Uber and thought it sounded pretty good. Once I EQ'ed it like I like, I found I preferred it, even though the Greenbacks seems to have a thicker bottom end.

When I made the spreadsheet, I was using white noise and looking at frequency spectrum analysis. I was also listening to the white noise, but that gets a little mind-numbing. I'm not sure if my spreadsheet is wrong for some values or if I simply prefer the wrong phase correction in some instances.

Also, keep in mind that part of speaker simulation involves phase inaccuracy, and I believe this varies across the frequency spectrum. So there SHOULD be some phase issues between any given pair of speakers.

Some of the conclusions I came up with can only be called "best guesses". The condenser mics were particularly troublesome. I could never find a setting where the sound was completely full. Somethings always seemed a tad off. Also, the whole Excel sheet is auto-generated based on the first column - those are the only ones I actually researched. The others use the Treadplate 57 on axis values as a means to calculate the others. For ex. if there's -1 sample between X and Tread 57 on and 1 sample between Y and Tread 57 on, then X and Y are calculated to have 0 samples between them. A better method would be to actually measure each pair, but aint' nobody got time for that. Still a few counter-examples could help refine the entire Excel sheet.

I was always hoping someone would come behind and double-check me or at least find contrary examples, but I didn't get much feedback from other than saying they thought they sounded great.

You'll notice most of my patches now don't use much if any phase correction EQ's. I've found combos that seem to work well without needing to use any and prefer them over alternatives, which works well because I don't need to worry about losing an effect block/DSP.

DouglasAdams

Bearer of the Curse
Reaction score

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
At the advice of rickycigs I entered the riffs and beard contest at least I think I did. Here is the link. How do I know he knows I entered?

https://soundcloud.com/surfthealien/30-seconds-or-less

The tone for this one is bobbos new periphery patch with my loomis

As long as it has the tag #riffsandbeards he'll see it. It was the same deal for the feared mixing competition.

So far the only really good entries I've seen are from members here. I finally got my webcam working properly today, do it looks like every song from now on will have a YouTube video with it :)

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I tried using it but It says I have no application that can open it. Stupid macs. Are there any other ways I can get some of your patches?

Hd500 edit doesn't open it?

There was a glitch when I saved it, so the tone might be no good. I'll re try tomorrow and maybe post some more of my newest tweaked ones.

In the meantime, here's the link for the ones I used in all my earlier recordings.
http://www.line6.com/customtone/profile/misterrick

The fireball and bogner were my main ones.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I could open it in HD Edit 500 fine, but I didn't get a chance to play on it yet.

You'll be proud that its a dual cab tone lol I spent some time trying to tweak a tone that I was really happy with for playing without having cubase open. I also tweaked some tones with the redwirez impulses. My goal is to have one or two tones that I'll use for a whole album. Rather than different tones on every song like the one I'm working on.....

If line 6 never adds user ir loading, then there needs to be a company that takes the two notes torpedo c.a.b. one step further. Seems like an awesome piece of gear, but you can't load your own impulses!!EDIT: I just read that you can, but can't find the info on their actual website.

Nemonic

Reaction score
You'll be proud that its a dual cab tone lol I spent some time trying to tweak a tone that I was really happy with for playing without having cubase open. I also tweaked some tones with the redwirez impulses. My goal is to have one or two tones that I'll use for a whole album. Rather than different tones on every song like the one I'm working on.....

If line 6 never adds user ir loading, then there needs to be a company that takes the two notes torpedo c.a.b. one step further. Seems like an awesome piece of gear, but you can't load your own impulses!!EDIT: I just read that you can, but can't find the info on their actual website.
I am seriously considering the stompbox version of that Torpedo. I tried using No Cab and a simulation inside Oveloud plugin, it sounded way better, somehow complete. I think it will be my next purchase after getting badass baritone longboard.
Bobbo qouted it nicely, if an old Digitech device can do it, Line 6 flagship should do it too. Maybe they are putting non-perfect cab sims inside so people would buy their DT products.