This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
4cm kind of gives you the option of using the amp premap if you want to. the effect loop send of the PHD500 goes to the amp input, effect loop send of the JVM to the effect loop return of the PHD500 and the final out goes to the effects loop return on the amp.

(i got better results using the effects loop than power section, as i can toggle the effects loop per channel, rather than the always on premap bypass of the power section input)

so if you use the effect block in the PHD500, you go via the amp's premap, and then via the effect loop. if you omit the effects block, you bypass the amp's premap and go straight into the amp's effect loop.

its pretty nifty :) I went with the 4cm because i wanted to use the orange OD1 channel which sounds fricking lovely for those joe satriani type tones ;) and then go via the PHD500 for the more modern, supercompressed, hyper high gain type stuff.

but yeah, ill try upping the resistance to 3.5m and see how that goes. the JVM's really are lovely amps, i think the 3 modes per channel, and 4 channels scares some people, but they're really super awesomely easy to use once you get the hang of them. the silent recording out is also REALLY useful. and they sound good at low volumes too ;)

not knocking the pod, as i love them, but you cant get a super high gain tone out of the jvm? lol

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
I'd suggest starting to read Bobbo's guide. Now. Prepare yourself! :lol:

Oh I am now!

I will ask though, right now my setup as far as speakers/monitoring goes is this: I have an old "interface" deal that hooks in to the headphone jack of my laptop, and connected to that interface via stereo wire are two oldish speakers that actually sound decent for me. I'm planning to upgrade to some BX5a's as soon as possible, but until then how could I connect the Pod to my current setup? Just connect the wire that right now connects to the headphone jack of my laptop to the headphone jack of the Pod, using a 1/4 -> headphone converter?

It's not ideal I know, but eventually I'll be able to use the Pod as an interface for monitoring and be able to connect my to-be BX5s to that. :D

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Oh I am now!

I will ask though, right now my setup as far as speakers/monitoring goes is this: I have an old "interface" deal that hooks in to the headphone jack of my laptop, and connected to that interface via stereo wire are two oldish speakers that actually sound decent for me. I'm planning to upgrade to some BX5a's as soon as possible, but until then how could I connect the Pod to my current setup? Just connect the wire that right now connects to the headphone jack of my laptop to the headphone jack of the Pod, using a 1/4 -> headphone converter?

It's not ideal I know, but eventually I'll be able to use the Pod as an interface for monitoring and be able to connect my to-be BX5s to that. :D

Don't do it!! You'll fry your flux capacitor and possibly burn out your muffler bearing. And don't forget to use summer picks or your strings will break all at once.

But seriously, yes it will be fine. Also, I really like my bx5's. they don't have a lot of low end though, but that's to be expected with 5" speakers. For what I paid they're phenomenal. $70(Canadian) is a steal though. Almost literally.

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
Yeah I've heard that they're not the most bassy like most smaller monitors. But I hear nothing but good things about them, and like many things they have a bit of a learning curve which I'll work with and as such learn how to adjust tones and mixes accordingly. :D

Matt_D_

Reaction score
not knocking the pod, as i love them, but you cant get a super high gain tone out of the jvm? lol

more the super sterile, super compressed, super fast attack/gate digital kind of all mids high gain tone.

the jvm will kinda do high gain, but not at loungeroom/flat levels ;) (premap dist only)

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
So at this gig tonight, i'm running path A to my power amp/cab with no cab modeling and path B to the PA with cabs on.

I'm assuming these cab models are going to sound much better through the FRFR PA. I don't have an FRFR setup so i can't test it. All i can do is get a good tone through my cab with cabmodels off, and then set path B for the same amp with a cab model on. The cab models sound lousy through my cab as to be expected - Can i expect a big improvement in cab modeling once i get it going through a PA?

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
So at this gig tonight, i'm running path A to my power amp/cab with no cab modeling and path B to the PA with cabs on.

I'm assuming these cab models are going to sound much better through the FRFR PA. I don't have an FRFR setup so i can't test it. All i can do is get a good tone through my cab with cabmodels off, and then set path B for the same amp with a cab model on. The cab models sound lousy through my cab as to be expected - Can i expect a big improvement in cab modeling once i get it going through a PA?

Listen through decent headphones. They are a lot closer to what the pa will sound like than your cab.

The reason the impulses sound like shit through your cab is because they're coloring an already colored tone. You can only expect a big improvement if its a good tone. Remember, you can't polish a turd.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
^^^ headphones, got it. I've got my base patches sounding pretty good, just needed an approximation of what i would hear through PA - never thought to use the headphones...thanks again!

This thing keeps getting better the more i tweak my patches. I do miss a the XT's Autowah though. The Q filter and Tron effects are not up to snuff vs the old autowah on the XT for my purposes. I'm just going manual wah for now. might buy a boss autowah and throw it in loop eventually. The pitch shifting is a nice addition.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
^^^ headphones, got it. I've got my base patches sounding pretty good, just needed an approximation of what i would hear through PA - never thought to use the headphones...thanks again!

This thing keeps getting better the more i tweak my patches. I do miss a the XT's Autowah though. The Q filter and Tron effects are not up to snuff vs the old autowah on the XT for my purposes. I'm just going manual wah for now. might buy a boss autowah and throw it in loop eventually. The pitch shifting is a nice addition.

I've only ever used the Q filter in place of the screamer, so I wouldn't know lol it does a fantastic job at that though

meambobbo

Reaction score
The pod allows an external pedal to control exp-2. You could hook an lfo up to it instead of a pedal to get an auto wah or other mod effects

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Ok so just got back from my gig with the new HD Pro. First off it was a kick ass gig, folks moshing, lots of horns flying :hbang: i think i could have played with a 10 watt crate miced up and we would have rocked it anyway.

I've still got some tweaking to do, but considering i just got the unit Wednesday and use about 20 different patches throughout the night (and even then each patch has two signals - one for 4x12 cab, one for PA), it went well. Had to do some major tweaking once the PA was hooked up - my signal was too hot and too much high end, but once i got it sorted it sounded pretty good, with a few patches needed some seriuous tweaking. It's definitely not the same as having my dual rec behind me, or even as good tone, but it works well and i think i can get it closer with more tweaking. Keep in my mind i didn't even get to PRACTICE with this pod before this gig.

I'm not sold on going direct, i might be better served sticking with the power amp and cab and micing it up, that way there's no surprises and i don't have to deal with cab modeling. I'll probably always bring a cab for show anyway. Any thoughts on which can potentially sound better with the HD pro? Direct or power amp/cab?

So going from using a real Dual Rec (and Pod XT) to the pod HD pro, I'm happy. It doesn't sound quite as good for classic high gain, but the two slipknot songs we played in B and drop A sounded better actually - again, i still need to tweak more. The sound guy said it sounded good, a trusted band friend said the same. :hbang: The best part was having just an FBV express at my feet!! I used to have a full pedal board AND the FBV!! Oh yeah breaking down after the gig is better too! Satisfied gigging musician here.